Subject: Essay re CIA and NATO
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kirby Urner)
Date: Mon, Apr 5, 1999 12:45 PM

Those who have at least an elementary understanding of the spy
business know that it depends on cultivating informants in
foreign countries willing to share information with a
government not their own.  These informants sort themselves
into roughly two categories:  ideological and remunerative,
although this is more a spectrum, as any one informant is
likely a mix.  The informant motivated by ideology is
predisposed to fight at home against a dominant paradigm which
she or he believes is inimical to the long term interests of
his or her group (ethnic or otherwise), whereas the remuner-
ative informant is in it for the money, not especially
interested in "politics" or the grand sweep of history world
view kind of stuff.

During the height of the Cold War, we saw a lot more
ideological spying going on.  During the Vietnam Era, the
Communist networks were very successful in infiltrating the
student bodies of USA universities and providing technical
assistance.  A lot of the more vocal student protests during
the Vietnam War were directly attributable to the work of
Russian case officers, who understood the USA very well, and
how to motivate its more vulnerable members to fight against
what to them appeared an alien ideology (Establishmentarianism).
Many of you may recall CIA recruiters were banned from
universities around the country, even bodily thrown off campus,
as the KGB succeeded in making serious inroads, raising the
political costs to Nixon-Kissinger of their policies in
Indochina.

As the Cold War abated, we found more remunerative agents
cropping up, selling vast amounts of paper (in most cases) out
from under the USA national security apparatus, putting these
documents in the hands of case officers overseas (e.g. Russian,
Israeli). The depolarization along ideological lines had turned
the spy business away from the rhetoric of high-sounding
principles, and moved it into an economic warfare mode,
subsisting on a diet of real politik and, in the USA's case,
a desire to maintain the status quo, with the USA the apparent
victor of the Cold War and last/only superpower aboard Spaceship
Earth.

With the demise of ideological spying went the degradation of
the quality of the intelligence.  People with no inward
gyroscope, other than the desire to "strike it rich", have a
very poor sense of relevance, as they have no strongly
polarized lense through which to view the prospectively
sellable documents.  With the end of the Cold War came a flood
of essentially worthless memos and papers, mostly classified
scenarios detailing the war game simulations of others, actings
out of worst case emergency plans of this kind or that.  Any
number of invasions, coupled with martial law at home and an
accelerated drafting of youth into the armed services, have
been documented in detail and trickled through the spy networks
from one side to the other.  Nowadays, the Russians are fully
apprised of USA war plans and vice versa.  The business of
concocting these things and selling them for remuneration has
become a cottage industry in its own right.

Against this backdrop, those few remaining ideologically
motivated informants have an edge, as their brand of
intelligence is in short supply and stands out in stark
contrast to the run of the mill remunerative stuff, which is
plentiful and cheap.  The ideologues sympathetic to the USA are
those few who still buy its rhetoric, fashioned during the Cold
War, about freedom and justice for all at the global level, a
high standard of living for all owing to the miracle of free
market capitalism.  Those who still buy this line, and consider
their own local regime a parasitical backwater of bug-ridden
thinking (at best) or an oppressive killer of innocents (at
worst), know exactly what documents will have the greatest
relevance to CIA case officers with experience in subverting
such regimes.

With military adventures such as the current one against ethnic
cleansing operations, undertaken by NATO, it's very important
for the spy agencies to redouble their efforts to keep their
networks from degrading further, meaning the ideological
informants must be allowed to glimpse enough of the inner
workings of the USA's secret elite to maintain their trust,
even while being bombed into the stone age by a less elite or
intelligent military school of thought, which has no real
appreciation for the intelligence business.  For this reason,
the CIA is willing to provide NATO with advice regarding the
humanitarian fiasco, but is loathe to supplement the military
effort directly.  The CIA has friends in the Pentagon who share
the grave reservations expressed by the Joint Chiefs regarding
the advisability of following Madeline Albright's advice re the
Balkans.  So when the CIA refrains from participating in the
military targeting directly, the Pentagon doesn't protest. It
understands that reconnecting with ideological informants
overseas depends on the CIA remaining aloof from the NATO war
effort.  This is their war, not ours.

Once the bombing stops, and the refugee situation has been
adequately addressed (as it has not been to date, much of the
CIA's best advice having gone unheeded), those working on
behalf of freedom and democracy in the Balkans will not have
become so completely alienated from their case officers they
will hence forth only work for Russian professionals (or
increasingly the Chinese).

Although the Russians do a fairly good job, had a lot to do
with bringing the Vietnam War to an end, the USA has every
intention of remaining a player, so that its familiar brand
names continue to be household words around the world.  Given
the Cold War is over, Russian and USA objectives coincide a lot
more than they used to, so losing a lot of informants to the
Russians would not be the calamity this used to be (indeed, it
would be great of the Russians would take a bigger share of the
remuneratives, who tend to not be worth their asking price --
some employes being little more than remuneratives themselves,
even though with fairly high GS status and generous tax-funded
benefits).

If the USA loses all its ideological informants in the Balkans,
then this will signal a loss of USA credibility in general, at
the ideological level.  That would indicate a serious loss of
inroads and a very difficult road ahead for keeping USA
economic interests from being sidelined by those with better
networks.

For this reason, the CIA is doing its best to keep its Russian
informants upbeat about the USA's ideological push, as distinct
from the military campaign being waged by NATO, which cannot be
sustained indefinitely and must eventually be contextualized by
some "end game" strategy.  The Russians have a big stake in
creating a lasting peace in the region, independently of this
NATO effort, so it turns out that the CIA and the Russians have
a lot in common in this picture, and sharing quality information
has been relatively easy, either through open source placements
(of articles, media spots), or through secret drops (in the
case of humint informants who need their identities protected).

The State Department will have its own headaches patching
together global diplomatic networks willing to continue to work
directly and overtly with Albright and company, but that's
really not the CIA's problem.  The CIA hasn't burned its
bridges so completely and will be better positioned to
reconnect its networks and keep the USA moving in a positive
direction once all the bombing has stopped.  Or at least this
is the hope.

Every day the humanitarian situation continues to deteriorate
is damaging to the West in general (which has always professed
high regard for human life).  And NATO's inarticulate fumbling
and ever-shifting rationale is akin to quicksand.  A lot of
military careers are ending in a real quagmire over on the NATO
side of the fence.  The CIA is standing by with a life line,
hoping the floundering military-minded will come to their
senses and take their cues more from the USA Joint Chiefs and
less from Clinton's advisory team, which has made bungling and
incompetence one of its chief hallmarks -- Nixon-Kissinger was
only a little worse (plus the CIA was a lot weaker back then,
so the crooks in the White House had a freer hand).

Kirby
Russia Desk

=====