-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 4/9/99 12:33:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< we are responsible for our feelings in as much as our feelings are the
 basis by which we act. how would you like to have a president that hated
 (in his opinion) half-witted half-assed moderatators who had a lot of
 opinions. how would you like it if this president had a lot of support and
 people out there who were more than happy to act on his prejudice and hunt
 you down with dogs and have their way with you. the same can be said about
 adults with children, parents have to take responsibility for how their
 feelings will become manifest in their children; or do you believe that it
 is okay for people to raise their children to hate certain aspects of
 society. these examples are only tentitive but they show how there is
 consequence to our feelings and there is an ecology therein, wherein we
 must take responsibility for how we feel. apparently the law feels that
 way too as this is the basis by which they prosecuted manson. manson did
 not do the deeds himself but the acts were manifestations of how he felt.
 they say that he did but manson did not actually send his followers out to
 do his biding. prejudice cannot be objective; in court it can be the basis
 of a mistrial, if it can be proved.

 i feel the same as you that it is not the realm of the law to dictate how
 we should feel but there is an area there where we must assume a certain
 responsibilty for our own feelings and particular responsibility for how
 our feelings manifest in the world along with the consequences thereof.

 chris

It boils down to personal responsibility.  What is good for one is not good
for another.  Legislating the thoughts is what is bad.  I don't think it is
"good" to hate or to be prejudiced or to raise your kids that way BUT I think
you have a right to do so, that I can't interfere with.  You have a
responsibility to live responsibly with your neighbors and within the laws of
community, cause no harm to others or their property, take nothing that is
not yours, etc.  It is your responsibility to police your thoughts.  When you
act on them in a way that is in violation of those laws of community you
should face the stiffest penalty possible.  Of course you may want to just
ignore this because I might be half-witted and/or half-assed, and might be
merely full of opinions, and it might be a good idea to hunt me down and kill
me for them, or at least hurt me a bit.  'Course you could just quietly hate
me instead.
Teo1000