-Caveat Lector-

"Before you lies the future—a future of golden promise; a future expanding national
glory,
before which all the world will stand amazed. Let me beseech you to lay aside all
rancor, all
bitter sectional feelings, and take your places in the ranks of those who will bring
about a
consummation devoutly to be wished – a reunited country."

SENATOR LOTT

The following is the speech given by Senator Trent Lott at the dedication of the
Presidential
Library at Beauvoir. If there was any doubt where the Senate Majority leaders heart is
in
our cause, this speech should answer all doubts. Senator Lott is very proud to fill
the same
Senate slot that was filled by Jefferson Davis. He also reminded us that the Senior
Senator
from Mississippi, Senator Cochran, sits in the desk that was occupied by Davis while
he was
an U. S. senator. Senator Lott’s speech along with the other activities of the day
left me
with a day I will remember forever.

"Governor Fordice, Members of the Legislature, Mayors, distinguished guests, and
friends of
Beauvoir.

As you know, this week marks the 190th anniversary of the birth of the man who became
the President of the Confederate States of America.

Though born in Kentucky, he was truly a son of Mississippi: a planter, a soldier, and a
statesman. It is fitting that we gather here at his beloved Beauvoir, in tribute to
this
exceptional man.

This home was a treasure to him and his family. But now it will house a greater
treasure: a
wealth of historical documents, research materials, and memorabilia. Like the
presidential
libraries of more recent Presidents, this institution will have a broader focus than
just one
person will. It will cover the era in which Davis lived, the times, in which he worked
and
fought. With true Southern hospitality, it will welcome scholars and the public from
around
THE WORLD. It will be a place of pride and of learning, of memory and of new visions of
the past.

Sometimes I feel closer to Jefferson Davis than any other man in America. I represent
Mississippi, as he did, in the United States Senate. Each morning, when I arrive at
work, I
see part of HIS Capital. For he supervised the construction of the two new wings where
the
Senate and House have gathered uninterrupted since 1860. It was in that Senate where he
lifted the mantle of Southern leadership from the aging shoulders of John C. Calhoun.
And
there, in 1861, his fellow Senators openly wept as he bid them a "final adieu" and
headed
home to await the call of his state.

For almost one century distinguished Americans, and not just Southerners, have come to
Beauvoir to recall the highlights of his life. But these facts without the context of
truth are
meaningless. Or as Robert Penn Warren said, " History is not the truth, the truth is
in the
telling" In the case of Jefferson Davis, this Library and Museum will help to tell the
world the
truth about the complicated man who came to embody the cause of Southern
Independence.

He was the reflection of a proud people. He was a gentleman, who met each of Life’s
challenges with unquestioned faith in his Creator and an unfailing devotion to duty.
Here
was the Commander in Chief who sadly said, "I worked night and day for twelve years to
prevent this war, but I could not."

When I was growing up, I was taught to respect the man whose face stared down at us
from countless shrines across the South. I hope that tradition will continue for
today’s
youngsters need examples of honor, courage, and self-sacrifice.

Jeff Davis’s story is the story of America. Born in a frontier log cabin, he rose from
harsh
circumstances to attend West Point, where his appointment papers were signed by none
other than the man who was then the Secretary of War: John C. Calhoun. At the Academy,
he stood alongside Robert E. Lee and Albert Sidney Johnson. As a soldier, he led the
Mississippi Rifles to glory in Mexico and, from then on, was marked as a leader of men.

When the Magnolia State sent him to the Senate, he became the Congress’ leading
intellect
and voice of Southern nationalism. He was unyielding in his defense of the
Constitution. A
document, after all, that had been written primarily by Southerners of an earlier
generation. At the same time, he earnestly sought a solution to the upcoming crisis
within
the framework of the Union. But his people called him home, and he marched with them.
On February 10, 1861, while tending his garden, he received word of his unanimous
election as President of the Provisional Government of the Confederate States of
America.

Mrs. Davis later said, "He grew white and read the note as a man might speak of a
sentence of death" He left Mississippi the next day.

We cannot do justice here to Davis’ entire record as President, but we can help to
reverse
what Shelby Foote calls "the conspiracy that has underrated President Davis for 130
years." For starters, there is the matter of his personality. When you read about him
in the
history books, he seems a cold-blooded prig. He was, in fact, a warm, friendly,
outgoing
man. Perhaps studies at this Library will correct that impression.

It was Lee himself who set the record straight about Davis’s administrative abilities.
He
reminded the critics, most of them whom were armchair generals, that "no one could have
done a better job than Jefferson Davis, and as far as I know, no one could have done as
well"

It’s easy to forget that Davis inherited no functioning government, no army and no
navy. He
created everything from the Post Office to the Treasury almost overnight. Through sheer
force of will, he marshaled every resource his country had against an adversary that
had
every advantage.

All the while, he was riding herd on the most talented and eccentric group of general
officers in military history. He forged the system that kept the Grey legions fighting
along a
thousand-mile front for four long years.

Put yourself in his place, sitting in that Richmond office as the casualty count
rolled in from
the Shiloh buzzsaw. In that one battle, the South lost more men than the entire
country had
lost in the revolution, the War of 1812, and the Mexican War combined. One battle—and a
heartache that would last a lifetime.

By 1865, a devastated South looked to Davis for hope, for dignity, for self-respect.
He did
not disappoint his people. Even when abused by sadistic jailers, he remained a symbol
and
an example. And he emerged from confinement to remind his country that, in the end, all
would be right.

In the end, Jefferson Davis, more than any other person was the living, breathing
embodiment of the Southern spirit. Just like the common soldiers who bore the name of
Johnny Reb, he too stood in the breach, protecting his home, his family, and his
people.
Most of all, he was a defender of the Constitution. He rightly understood that that
document
was created to restrain government, not constrain the people.

He feared that, if government ever broke away from the rule of law, that all power
would
flow away from the people to Washington. That was the same argument advanced, more
than a century later, by another Southern Senator, Sam Ervin of North Carolina, in
opposing
more recent Executive Branch violations of the rule of law. In that light, we come
back full
circle in the life, times, and redemption of Jefferson Davis. Once more the halls of
Congress
ring with warnings against the coercion of power in official Washington.

History is funny that way. As we relearn its lessons, we sometimes see the figures of
the
past in a different light.

The rigid categories of heroes and villains fade away and we are left with imperfect
human
beings, from whose trials and struggles we can learn so much, not only about the past,
but
also about ourselves.

That learning is the goal and purpose of this institution (the Presidential Library).
Within its
walls, and amid its treasures, we can follow the advice of a great Mississippian,
Doctor
Walker Percy.

Percy urged the nation to look South to recover its lost sense of community, and
stability,
and the sense of place in God’s order. That is a tall proposition, but it is one, which
Jefferson Davis would have approved.

I will leave you with Jefferson Davis’ own words. Gravely ill, with only eight months
to live,
Davis pulled together his remaining strength and made the short six-mile journey from
Beauvoir to Mississippi City to address a convention of Southern youth. In a
remarkable few
minutes, Jefferson Davis spoke for the ages:

"Before you lies the future—a future of golden promise; a future expanding national
glory,
before which all the world will stand amazed. Let me beseech you to lay aside all
rancor, all
bitter sectional feelings, and take your places in the ranks of those who will bring
about a
consummation devoutly to be wished – a reunited country."

Thanks to Senator Lott’s office for sending me a copy of his speech, which I attempted
type accurately.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; everything sent has to stand on its own merits, not on
my
recommendation.  Some are true, some are absurd.  It's up to you to decide which is
which.
Yet, some truths become absurd; some adsurdities turn out to be true, unbelievably so.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway