-Caveat Lector-

http://worldpress.org/Americas/783.cfm

>From the December 2002 issue of World Press Review (VOL. 49, No. 12)

The New Rules of War

Bushwhacked and Bamboozled

Paul Jackson, The Calgary Sun (conservative), Calgary, Canada, Oct. 8, 2002

The most unconscionable and cowardly act of the past decade

U.S. President George W. Bush speaks at the White House, Oct. 30, 2002 (Photo: Stephen
Jaffe/AFP).
has to be the betrayal of President George W. Bush by virtually every country in the
Western democratic world. Canada, by the way, is right up there at the top of the list
with
the likes of France and Germany. Which is why Canadians will, along with other weak-
kneed pacifist nations, likely pay for the lack of moral fiber of our own politicians.

Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and his Islamic terrorist cohorts have told us exactly
what
they want to do: Destroy us all by any means possible. And they are developing those
means with hurtling production of chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons. Along the
way, they intend to make us quake with hit-and-run attacks of the Sept. 11 variety.
Bush,
who is far more intelligent and resolute than his critics credit him, has declared
that the
United States, alone if necessary, is not going to capitulate to this barbarism.
Britain, with
Tony Blair at the helm, is seemingly alone in standing steadfast with Bush.

Bill Graham, [the Canadian] foreign affairs minister, is weaseling all the way, doing
an
imitation of British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, who basically figured if you
were
nice to Adolf Hitler, he might start being a loving family man. Startlingly, it is now
presumed
that the brains of [Prime Minister] Jean Chrétien, Graham’s boss, are so addled, the
prime
minister really doesn’t know what is going on from one day to the next. So Graham can
bamboozle Chrétien any day of the week, and the prime minister is no wiser.

Basically, nations such as Canada, France, Germany, and other Western allies are
playing
the Czechoslovak gambit, which consisted in the 1930s of turning our backs on that
nation
when Hitler decided to carve it up, pretending we didn’t notice. With that, they hoped
against hope Hitler would be satisfied and wouldn’t bother them.

Their perfidy resulted in the Second World War. The same cowardly attitude occurred
after
the war when Soviet dictator Josef Stalin took over Eastern Europe and turned it into
one
vast prison camp for the next half century. Rather than do the honorable thing and
force
Stalin out, we just watched our own backs and prayed like the moral paupers we were.

The United Nations is, of course, not only the globe’s most elegant cocktail party
lounge of
every diplomatic coward in the world but also the rat hole of terrorist regimes. These
Third
World bandit states frequently force resolutions condemning Israel—aside from the
United
States, the favorite target of the terrorist mobs—as being a nation destined for
destruction.
Graham pontificates that Canada will only back action against the Iraqi dictator if
the U.N.
agrees to such action—all the while knowing that, since the world body has been
hijacked
by anti-Western rogue nations, it has no intention of doing so.

In the National Post on Oct. 4, there was a quite amazing article “We must commit now
regime change,” contending that unless Canada committed itself to standing by the
United
States in its hour of need, our future postures would be irrelevant. It was an amazing
article because it was penned by Tom Axworthy, once one of [former Canadian Prime
Minister (1968-84)] Pierre Trudeau’s closest and most fawning aides. Yet, Axworthy,
brother of former lib-left and decidedly anti-American Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd
Axworthy, now declares our country has a moral responsibility to back Bush and Britain
and
oust Saddam from power. Not to do so, says Axworthy, in a piece that is almost poetic
in its
rationale, would be to abdicate our responsibility to the victims of past world
atrocities. He
actually contends the “liberal left” has a duty to itself to fight terrorism and
power-mad
regimes. He calls on “progressives” everywhere to gird their loins for a battle for
humanity.

One wishes this piece was read and absorbed by the Chrétien Cabinet and, indeed,
members of all of Canada’s political parties.

As with Hitler and Stalin, we either deal with Saddam and the ilk of Osama bin Laden
now,
or they will surely deal with us. For if we don’t, when our cities and peoples are
laid low
from chemical or nuclear attacks, it will be too late for regrets. And too late to
write our
own history.
top of page