-Caveat Lector-

December 20, 2002
Cameras to monitor protesters
By Brian DeBose
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

     The Metropolitan Police Department will activate surveillance
cameras next month along city streets for the first time since city
officials passed new legislation.

     Department officials made the announcement yesterday on their
Web site, stating they would activate the network of 14 cameras and
install more to monitor the International Act Now to Stop War and
End Racism, or ANSWER, march from Jan. 17 to 19 and the D.C.
March for Life on Jan. 22.

     ANSWER officials did not return calls.

     Organizations participating in the pro-life march, which has taken
place in the District for 30 years, said they were not aware of
surveillance plans until they were contacted by The Washington
Times. Though they did not oppose the heightened security, they
questioned the necessity.

     "My first reaction is, what possible threat does this event pose
that would call for this type of surveillance?" said Dennis Di Mauro,
president of Lutherans for Life in Northern Virginia.

     The Rev. James I. Lamb, executive director for the group's
national chapter, also questioned why police would target the march.
He said he has seen no violence or problems in the six years he has
been involved with the event.

     "There isn't any history that would lead to a suspicion of violence
or trouble of any kind," he said. "But if they want to look at us, let the
cameras roll."

     Kevin Morison, D.C. police spokesman, said the department also
will activate additional temporary cameras for the demonstration at
Farragut Square, Dupont Circle, Malcolm X Park in Northwest and
the Marine Barracks in Southeast.

     He said the department has no history of problems with either
group but that event security has changed as terrorism has become
more of a threat.

     "Our approach is we will activate the surveillance system during
any major event that will attract a large number of people to the
District," Mr. Morison said. "In this post-September 11 environment,
we need to be cognizant of the fact that terrorists could use these
events as a target or cover to attack other areas."

     Plans to install more cameras along the march routes on
Independence Avenue SW and three other streets in Southeast
have not yet been approved. The surveillance plan is based on the
parade permit applications that were filed with the department.

     Mr. Morison said the temporary cameras will be dismantled after
the events.

     He also said the surveillance cameras will not target individuals.

     At least one D.C. Council member, Jim Graham, said he was
concerned about the cameras.

     "I am opposed to this type of surveillance because I am deathly
concerned about the chilling impact on constitutionally protected
expressions of freedom of speech," said Mr. Graham, the
Democratic representative from Ward 1.

     He also said the camera surveillance will "most assuredly"
discourage nonviolent protests, marches and other events from
taking place in the city.

     Council members passed regulations in November allowing the
cameras in public places on a limited basis, but the measure did not
pass without some indecision and rancor. The council initially
opposed the legislation in a 7-6 vote, then voted 7-6 in favor of the
measure.

     The regulations allow cameras to be used only for special events
such as scheduled rallies, protests and marches. And they can be
used only in public places where there is no expectation of privacy.

      Mr. Graham, who voted against the measure both times, said he
opposed the legislation specifically because of this type of
surveillance, though he supports using cameras in high-crime areas.

     "The cameras have a positive effect of dispersing entrenched
criminal activity, and they deter crime," he said.

     The Rev. Frank Pavone, founder and director of Priests for Life,
one of the organizations in the march, said he supports anything to
improve security as long as protesters maintain their freedom of
speech.

     "This country is in a different place now," he said.

Scanned by Norton AntiVirus

    With advances in technology and ever-increasing
    government surveillance, the situation has worsened
    since Orwell's imaginings of the future.
~~John Whitehead, the Rutherford Institute, November 4,
2002