From: Tenor Love
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 6:09 AM
Subject: [CTRL] NYTimes.com Article: F.B.I. Director Rejects Agency for Intelligence in United States

-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED].

Good for Mueller! Wonder how long it will be before he is "suicided"?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

F.B.I. Director Rejects Agency for Intelligence in United States

December 20, 2002
By DAVID JOHNSTON

WASHINGTON, Dec. 19 - Director Robert S. Mueller III of the
F.B.I. rejected the idea of a new domestic intelligence
agency today, for the first time expressing explicit
opposition to the proposal by lawmakers and others who have
said the bureau should be stripped of its primary role in
countering terrorism in the United States.

Mr. Mueller said in a speech to a criminal research group
in New York that a new domestic intelligence agency would
be "a step backward in the war on terror" and that the
Federal Bureau of Investigation was "uniquely situated for
the counterterrorism mission."

Mr. Mueller's defense of the F.B.I.'s authority was his
most explicit statement on the subject and followed
Congressional critics who have complained that the bureau
failed to interpret warning signs that might have led
authorities to prevent the Sept. 11 attacks.

Some lawmakers have said a new agency should take over the
bureau's intelligence gathering role, which would be turned
over to the Department of Homeland Security.

The joint House and Senate intelligence inquiry into lapses
by the F.B.I. and C.I.A. before the attacks concluded this
month that a cabinet level officer should oversee
intelligence throughout the government, but the panel did
not recommend a new intelligence agency. Last month, an
advisory group led by James S. Gilmore III, a former
governor of Virginia, said a new agency should take over
intelligence gathering.

The Bush administration has said it has no plans to
recommend a new agency, but senior officials have
considered the proposal, and the discussion continues to
circulate in intelligence circles among officials who fear
that the F.B.I. cannot collect intelligence about possible
attacks while investigating terrorism.

Mr. Mueller said the bureau had taken steps to improve
intelligence analysis and had fixed problems that had
hampered information sharing.

"This crumbling of pre 9/11 walls brings us to the issue of
whether America should create a new domestic intelligence
agency similar to the British MI-5," Mr. Mueller said.
"This idea is based on a faulty understanding of
counterterrorism that sees a dichotomy between
`intelligence operations' and `law enforcement operations.'
This misunderstanding of counterterrorism has led some to
conclude that we should separate these two functions and
create a new domestic intelligence agency."

But, Mr. Mueller said: "Building new walls is going in the
wrong direction. There is no reason to separate the two
functions."

Mr. Mueller spoke on a day when European justice ministers
agreed to allow the European Union's law enforcement
agency, Europol, to share information with the F.B.I.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/20/politics/20BURE.html?ex=1041382543&ei=1&en=e76840c3955b4a10

HOW TO ADVERTISE
---------------------------------
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED].

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company

<A HREF="'http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.orghttp://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A>
screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are

 <A HREF="'http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives'>http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives of

 <A HREF="'http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrlhttp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>

<A HREF="">www.ctrl.org</A> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>