-Caveat Lector-

http://www.totallyjewish.com/news/stories/?disp_type=0&disp_story=4SaOxZ

Insult To Star Of David
by Richard Ferrer - Jan 19
New Statesman magazine has admitted
its decision to publish a front-page cover featuring a gold Magen David above the
slogan ‘A
Kosher Conspiracy?’ may have been misguided.
The illustration, which appeared in last week’s edition of the current affairs
magazine,
showed the Jewish symbol on top of a Union Jack, while three damning reports inside
attacked Israel and Jewish organisations in the UK.

The first article, by Dennis Sewell, claimed a Zionist lobby is secretly “peddling the
big lies
of Israeli propaganda” to the media, while the following page carried a piece by author
John Pilger, accusing Tony Blair of cronyism in his “shameless” appointment of Lord
Michael
Levy as his special envoy to the Middle East.

The article also accused the prime minister of “unquestioning backing of Israeli
military
policy”.

Strike three came in the shape of a sympathetic centre spread about what drives
Palestinian women to become suicide bombers.

Editor Peter Wilby conceded that this coordinated coverage upset some readers, but
insisted it was not his intention to offend.

He said: “Covers and symbols are difficult, tricky things. Maybe we didn’t think
carefully
enough about this particular one. The Star of David, along with the Union Jack, are
two very
clearly recognisable symbols. When people see it they have a clear idea of what’s
going on.

“But I certainly wouldn’t wish to give the idea that we’re anti-Semitic, nor indeed
that I’m
anti-Zionist. This was a serious piece. We’re not anti-Zionist. We ask the question,
is there
a conspiracy? Then we answer it, saying no, not much of one.”

Sewell’s contentious cover story takes a sideways swipe at organisations at the heart
of
Anglo-Jewish life, such as the Board Of Deputies, Zionist Federation (ZF) and the
Britain
Israel Communications and Research Centre (Bicom), which is charged with “spinning
Israel’s case to the media”.

Sewell wrote: “That there is a Zionist lobby and that it is rich, potent and effective
goes
largely unquestioned on the left. Big Jewry, like big tobacco, is seen as one of
life’s givens.
According to this view, Israel has the British media well sewn up.”

Sewell goes on to attack Israeli Embassy press attaché David Schneeweiss, who “can be
on
the phone to every news editor at once, while simultaneously schmoozing their
proprietors”.

The article concludes that while such a lobby exists, “one is struck not by their
cohesion so
much as their fragmentation. Few are much more than a two-men-and-a-dog operation
located above a shop. The truth is the ‘Zionist lobby’ does exist, but is a clueless
bunch”.

Jewish leaders have been quick to hit back. ZF president Eric Moonman, who is accused
of
coordinating a “vituperative” letter and email writing campaign aimed at critics of
Israeli
policy, charges the New Statesman with carrying out a hatchet job.

He said: “There is no balance in any of the articles and they demean British Jewry. I
am
personally mentioned as being responsible for the ZF’s media response group and I have
always acknowledged that openly.

"There is nothing sinister in responding to the media’s attacks on an ethnic or
religious
group. The prejudice of the magazine is clearly to be found in this co- ordinated
approach,
which I feel is unforgivable.

“As someone who has worked for many years in both newspapers and radio, I can only say
I have never worked for an editor or station manager who would have given this approach
the OK.”

The Board’s public affairs director Fiona Macaulay, who was named in Sewell’s piece,
said:
“The author’s disappointment at his inability to prove the existence of a world Jewish
conspiracy is almost tangible. One can only assume his distress was responsible for
the fact
that the article was poorly constructed, confusing and misleading.

“As the elected representative body of British Jewry, the Board will continue to
express the
community’s overwhelming sense of solidarity with the State of Israel and its people.”

A spokesman for Bicom added: “Articles of this nature are common and part of the rough
and tumble of the media game.”
Wilby, the New Statesman’s editor, said he received as many complaints from the Jewish
community as from Muslims last month when his magazine ran the front-page headline,
‘The Koran Con Trick’.

He said: “We used an image of the Koran, which is not as wildly emotive as the Star of
David. In terms of protest from both communities it’s probably neck and neck at the
moment.”

Criticism has also come from outside the community. In its leader last Friday, The Sun
labelled the New Statesman “racially insensitive”, and hailed Israel as a “brave,
democratic
nation surrounded by forces intent on its entire destruction. Israel’s enemies are
enemies of
Britain. To pretend otherwise is dangerous folly”.

Elsewhere, Jewish readers have been publicly demonstrating their disapproval. One
Edgware newsagent said: “Normally, I only sell two copies of the New Statesman each
week, but so far I have sold about 30. However, some people are coming into the shop,
buying the magazine and ripping out the offending pages. Some have even told me, ‘you
shouldn't be selling this filth’.”

© Totally plc 2001. All rights reserved.