-Caveat Lector-

http://www.truthout.org/docs_02/12.24E.sanders.usapa.htm

Go To Original

Sanders Works to Repeal Provisions of Patriot Act
By Patrick Armstrong
Brattleboro Reformer

Saturday, 21 December, 2002

BRATTLEBORO -- Congressman Bernard Sanders said Friday he will introduce legislation to
exempt libraries and bookstores from parts of the sweeping USA Patriot Act.

Sanders' announcement came as local activists prepared to launch an effort to raise
awareness about the Patriot Act and other legislation, which they say threatens
Americans'
civil liberties.

"The expansion of surveillance, monitoring and investigation into our libraries and
book
sellers is truly disturbing," Sanders said in a statement Friday released in
conjunction with a
Burlington press conference. "Libraries and bookstores have always been a source of
learning, knowledge and information. The right to read without the fear of government
surveillance is a cornerstone of our democracy. I will do everything in my power to
ensure
that Congress passes legislation that will protect Americans' constitutional rights to
read
books without fear that someone is violating their right to privacy."

The Patriot Act grants law enforcement officials expanded power to access the records
of
bookstores and libraries when conducting investigations. It also prohibits bookstore
owners
and librarians from revealing that records have been released.

In an interview Friday, Sanders, an independent, said when Congress reconvenes in
January he will introduce a bill barring government surveillance of Americans' library
borrowing and bookstore purchases.

"This is, I think, a major abrogation of civil liberties," Sanders said. "This is a
very serious
problem, and I'm going to work hard to get this passed."

Sanders, who voted against the Patriot Act, said he decided to introduce this
legislation
after receiving a Nov. 21 letter from Karen Lane, president of the Vermont Library
Association. In her letter, Lane urged Sanders to present a bill repealing these
provisions in
the Patriot Act.

"The freedom to read is one of the cornerstones of democracy," Lane stated. "Our
professions are founded on principles that encourage the free expression of ideas and
the
right of a citizenry to access those ideas free of censorship, violations of privacy,
or the
threat of governmental intrusion."

There is no question of the need to protect Americans from the threat of terrorism,
Sanders emphasized. But the government had the ability to access these types of records
before, he said, though the standards and needs required for obtaining the information
were much higher.

The Patriot Act creates "a very, very low threshold in terms of the criteria allowing
them to
(access the information)" said Sanders.

The requirement that a librarian cannot reveal that there is an investigation into
their
records makes the librarian complicit in that investigation, said Sanders.

In addition, these provisions of the Patriot Act constitute an unfunded mandate,
Sanders
said, since they force publicly funded agencies to use resources in order to comply
with
federal law, but provide no additional money to meet those requirements.

When the Patriot Act was passed shortly after Sept. 11, there were no public hearings
on
the legislation. Sanders said his bill is aimed at raising awareness about these
provisions in
the Patriot Act, thus gaining broad bipartisan support.

It's also critical that citizens understand the act, as well, the congressman said.

Public awareness is also the goal of an ad hoc group of local citizens who hope to
raise
awareness not only about the Patriot Act but also the Homeland Security Act and orders
and rules from the executive branch.

"We're concerned about the fact that this feels like an infringement on our rights,
and we
need to go on record as saying this," said Sarah Edwards, a member of the Brattleboro
Selectboard who was elected Nov. 5 to the Vermont House as a Progressive.

The group has drafted resolutions, similar to those passed in 19 other communities
including Burlington and Oakland, Calif., affirming civil rights and calling on local
government officials to oppose parts of legislation that violate civil rights and
civil liberties.

Ellen Kaye, another member of the group, said part of the goal is to educate citizens
about
the threats to civil liberties.

"We feel that an educated community is really going to protect its rights," she said.

Kaye said the group will bring the resolutions to Brattleboro and surrounding towns,
and will
hold a public forum on Jan. 16 with Ben Scotch, director of the Vermont affiliate of
the
American Civil Liberties Union.

Edwards said she would bring the resolution to the Brattleboro Selectboard probably
sometime in January for the board to consider adopting.

Sanders commended the effort.

"I think that is exactly the right approach," he said. "My hope is that other
communities in
Vermont will do it. My hope is the Vermont Legislature will do it."

Edwards said she might introduce a resolution to the state Legislature "as a grassroots
activist, not necessarily as a legislator."

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without
profit to
those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for
research
and educational purposes.)

© : t r u t h o u t 2002 | t r u t h o u t | forum | issues | editorial | letters |
donate |
contact |
| voting rights | environment | budget | children | politics | indigenous survival |
|energy |
| defense | health | economy | human rights | labor | trade | women | reform | global |