To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date sent:              Tue, 24 Dec 2002 08:09:34 -0500
Subject:                [I-S] (fwd) Meet Sean Penn, Saddam's
useful idiot

Comprehending the cause of the famine was more
difficult.  Was it the result of not enough
rainfall?  Or was a different "root cause"
suggested by the curious fact that Ethiopia had
the largest army in black Africa--and a very well-
fed army--while most of those who were starving
came from the countryside where the food was
grown?

bh

Wall Street Journal

'Useful Idiot' Sean Penn learned little on his
Baghdad visit.

BY CLIFFORD D.  MAY

Tuesday, December 24, 2002

I know exactly what Sean Penn went through in
Iraq.  Unfortunately, Sean Penn hasn't a clue.

In the mid-1980s, I was the New York Times
correspondent in Ethiopia, covering the Great
Famine, the one that inspired Michael Jackson and
Lionel Ritchie to write "We Are the World."

For a time, it became fashionable for Hollywood
types to descend on Addis Ababa.  As a result, I
got to fly in a helicopter with Harry Belafonte
and play tennis with one of Michael Jackson's
brothers, Jermaine or Marlon, I can't quite
recall.

I also got to dine with Cliff Robertson at my
favorite Italian restaurant.  A survivor of the
Mussolini era--the restaurant, I mean, not Mr.
Robertson--it was run by an Italian expatriate
family.  The waiters were Ethiopians who were
fluent in spoken Italian but illiterate.  They
memorized the customers' orders and I never knew
them to make a mistake.  The owner of the
restaurant recognized Robertson--or at least
remembered seeing him in "PT 109." He pointed
excitedly and shouted: "Kennedy!  Kennedy!"

It wasn't difficult for these celebrities to get a
glimpse of Ethiopia's suffering--one visit to a
camp like those at Korem and Makele to see the
babies with their swollen bellies and rust-colored
hair (symptoms of severe malnutrition) was all
that was required.

Comprehending the cause of the famine was more
difficult.  Was it the result of not enough
rainfall?  Or was a different "root cause"
suggested by the curious fact that Ethiopia had
the largest army in black Africa--and a very well-
fed army--while most of those who were starving
came from the countryside where the food was
grown?

Some of these celebrities--Mr.  Robertson comes to
mind--were genuinely open-minded and eager to hear
different perspectives.  Others had barely stepped
off the plane before they began blaming America,
accusing Washington of providing less aid because
Ethiopia was ruled by a pro-Soviet, pro-Cuban,
Marxist dictatorship.  Such prepackaged views were
reaffirmed by ever-present government minders.

This is what Sean Penn experienced.  He may have
believed that he would be able to mystically
intuit the truth in Baghdad--"In my professional
life, I function on impressions," he told CNN--but
in fact all he could hope to see is what his Iraqi
hosts showed him, for example children's hospitals
where, he's been grimly told, illness is the
consequence of American-imposed sanctions.

Lenin, father of the Soviet Union, had a name for
people like Mr.  Penn:  "useful idiots." Lenin's
successor, Stalin, was even able to dupe Walter
Duranty, the New York Times correspondent in
Moscow whose Pulitzer Prize-winning reporting
helped convince the world that no government-
orchestrated famine was occurring in the Ukraine.

Similarly, during World War II, the Nazis took
representatives of the Red Cross to the model
concentration camp at Thereisenstadt, where they
established to the Red Cross's satisfaction that
those nasty rumors about Hitler's mistreatment of
the Jews were unfounded and really quite
outrageous.

How can Sean Penn be so naive as to believe he
would see the reality of Iraq touring around
Baghdad by limo and dining on kabobs with Saddam's
deputies?  Does he really believe that average
Iraqi citizens were going to invite him into their
living rooms and share their feelings with him?
Did he expect Saddam to open his dungeons to show
him the political prisoners whose tongues have
been sliced and whose eyes have been gouged?  Did
he think he'd have more luck finding caches of
biological and chemical weapons than has Hans
Blix?

Mr.  Penn also told CNN: "The insight that I would
have and I think for it to be productive, I would
hope that this would not be a political commentary
on my part but more a human commentary." To which
one can only respond: "Whaaa???"

If Mr.  Penn & Co.  were serious about grasping
Iraqi reality, they would meet with those who have
fled Saddam's oppression to London and Washington
and, yes, probably to Los Angeles.  They would
visit the Kurdish areas in northern Iraq,
protected from Saddam troops by U.S.  and British
air power.  They would learn about the 182,000
Kurds who were slaughtered by Saddam, about the
villages wiped out by poison gas, women and
children lying in the gutter in a final embrace.

In other words, if Sean Penn and other Hollywood
types really want to see what life under Saddam
Hussein is like and the kind of danger he
represents to the people of Iraq, the Middle East
and the world, Baghdad is the last place they
should go.

Mr.  May, a former New York Times foreign
correspondent, is president of the Foundation for
the Defense of Democracies, a think tank on
terrorism founded immediately after 9/11.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Your use of Yahoo!  Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Scanned by Norton AntiVirus

Scanned by Norton AntiVirus

Best wishes

Political correctness is the last refuge of the incompetent.