-Caveat Lector-

Fighting Fear and Fundamentalism

By Toby Sackton, http://www.alternet.org/
December 23, 2002

... consider a fine piece in Al Ahram, the main Egyptian paper, by Usama
Ghazali Harb, who says the Muslim world's predicament today is not the
result of some external plot but the fact that "while the vast majority
of Muslims keep silent, an extremist minority has hijacked the faith and
is steering it into a confrontation with the world. . . . These
extremists are supported by conservative forces that fear progress and
modernity."

So writes a fawning Thomas Friedman in his endless quest to find
Jeffersonian Muslims.

But here is a modified version of Harb's thesis: "while the vast
majority of Americans keep silent, an extremist minority has hijacked
our government, and is steering it into a confrontation with the
world...These extremists are supported by conservative forces that fear
global equality and environmental moderation."

Isn't this as valid a description of our predicament – those of us
caught in the middle as we watch our government convert the simple
terrorist crime of Sept. 11 into a vast conflict that asserts American
military dominance over the Arabs?

Although not a historian, I have always felt that fundamentalist ideas
are based on fear of the future. What else can explain the attraction
Armageddon holds for so many American Christian fundamentalists, except
the idea that no future is better than the fearful future of
uncertainty, change and atomization they are being drawn toward.
Fundamentalism gains currency in societies in which the leadership
maintains power by creating terror, either overtly through repression
and arrest, or covertly through hyper-sensitizing people's everyday
fears – of crime, poverty, exclusion, and death.

Many American Jews went to Israel to live in religious communities. But
fear of a modern, secular identity has driven some of them to set up
radical fundamentalist orthodox communities, who approvingly stone cars
that drive on the Sabbath, threaten stores that might open, or more
seriously, support murderous attacks on Palestinians or even the
assassination of Yitzhak Rabin, the Israeli prime minister who stood up
to the Settler movement. Is this not the same virulent fundamentalism we
are fighting?

At the political level, the Republican Party long ago chose to
capitalize on fear to maintain power. In California, Ronald Reagan got
his start by fanning fear of communists, poor people, immigrants and
crime. The GOP became the dominant party in the South by playing on
racism and fear of blacks among white southerners – a strategy that is
now showing signs of strain, as is evident with Trent Lott's
resignation. As the U.S. population becomes more diverse, leaders like
Lott who expose the overt racism at the core of some Republican policies
have to be sacrificed for not staying on message.

This unfortunate convergence of a party based on fear governing a
country where many already are acting in fear creates "perfect storm"-
like conditions for power elites to push for a major expansion of
American empire.

So what are we to do?

The only way to fight this fundamentalist ideology at home and abroad is
to clearly fight fear. When comforting a fearful friend, you don't get
far by dismissing or contradicting their feelings. You are of no help.
It is only by understanding the fear, by bringing it out into the open
that we can help people who are afraid. We can help them see how
exaggerated and unreal their fears are, and recognize how these fears
are being imposed on them from the outside. This is the only way in
which fear can be gradually drawn away and dissolved.

The left should not only stand moral witness against killing civilians
overseas, but also stand up for freedom at home. Roosevelt's four
freedoms are not a bad place to start: freedom of expression; freedom of
worship; freedom from want; freedom from fear.

The current war on terrorism unleashed by the Bush administration
undermines each one of these freedoms. With skyrocketing budget deficits
and military spending, the war will increasingly divert economic
resources away from urgent social needs such as health care. Thanks to
our military expansion and adventurism, Americans are becoming targets
both when we travel abroad and when we dissent in public at home. The
fear of political violence may soon become a part of our everyday lives.

Although most of us may not feel religious freedom is at risk, Muslims
are already beginning to feel under pressure, what with FBI agents in
mosques secretly recording their words. But in Roosevelt's 1941 Four
Freedoms speech, the first and foremost point was freedom of expression.
In the U.S. today, the government is using the war on terrorism to purge
any idea that the Republicans view as "heresy" – silencing or spying on
dissenting citizens in the name of patriotism.

Only fundamentalists can support such an agenda of fear. And remember,
fear is our enemy.

Read Toby Sackton's writings on his online blog, Toby's Political Diary:
Let it Begin Here.
http://blogs.salon.com/0001282/