-Caveat Lector-

"What shall be our legacy?"
Printed on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 @ 00:02:31 EST
http://yt.org/article.php?sid=966

By Doreen Miller YellowTimes.org Columnist (United States)

(YellowTimes.org) – It seems like only yesterday when the world was
caught up in mass hysteria and dire predictions of doom and gloom about
the impending Y2K crisis that would plunge the world into utter chaos
and darkness. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when, at the stroke of
midnight on January 1, 2000, planes did not plunge from the skies,
computer systems continued to function, and the lights remained on. In
short, life went on as usual. Little did people realize, however, that
the year 2000 was to herald in a unprecedented age of terror and
darkness.

The road to hell began barely nine months into George Bush's presidency,
when the American public suffered a major terrorist attack made possible
allegedly by a simple failure of U.S. law enforcement and intelligence
agencies to connect the dots. The dust had barely settled when select
congressmen were graced with letters laced with weapon-grade anthrax
whose origins mysteriously point to a U.S. source. Next, U.S. citizens
had their Constitutionally guaranteed civil rights sharply curtailed by
the passage of the USA PATRIOT Act. Their right to privacy was even
further eroded by the just recently passed Homeland Security Act which
sets up a Total Information Awareness operation that would make George
Orwell blush.

Color-coded warnings signifying levels of terrorist threat are announced
in the media on a regular basis -- always jacked up a notch or two in
time for the holidays to further intimidate an already fearful and
paranoid public. The economy is being rocked by one corporate scandal
after another; the numbers of those without jobs, health insurance or a
place to call home continue to climb; and the few remaining safeguards
protecting the environment are quickly being dismantled. Terrorism and
other acts of violence are escalating around the globe. The world's most
powerful leader, drunk with a belief in his own invincibility,
belligerently threatens pre-emptive war and nuclear retaliation on any
country suspected of trying to undermine U.S. interests and superiority.
Indeed, the world has been plunged into an age of darkness far
surpassing its worst Y2K nightmares.

Most Americans see themselves as innocent victims in a world gone mad
and believe, quite naively, that their government holds the moral high
ground in its efforts to establish a Pax Americana worldwide. The facts,
however, reveal the United States to be not only a part of the cycle of
violence, but the largest exporter of death and destruction this world
has ever known.

Richard Grimmet of the Congressional Research Committee reported that in
fiscal year 2001, of the $26.4 billion in registered sales of
international military weapons, the United States exported $12.2
billion, or roughly 46 percent of the total. This represents 2.5 times
more than the amount sold by the second (UK) and third (Russia) largest
exporters, 9.7 times greater than the level exported by France, and 19
times more than that of China.

The Center for International Policy estimates that about 80 percent of
U.S. arms exports go to non-democratic regimes notorious for gross human
rights abuses against not only their own citizenry but people of other
countries as well. In 1999, of the forty-two conflicts in the world,
thirty-nine of them made use of U.S. military equipment or technology, a
whopping 92 percent rate of indirect U.S. participation in, but direct
support of, war and violence. The U.S. also trains foreign military in
the art of murder and torture in more than 70 countries and has troops
currently stationed in nearly three out of every four countries in the
world.

Sadly, the lives of 3,000 civilians from the U. S. and many other
countries were lost in the September 11 attack, but where is the
American outrage at the millions of deaths that the U.S. has caused,
directly or covertly, in the twentieth century alone? Over 3,000
innocent Afghanis were killed in blind retaliation for terrorist attacks
with which these oppressed people had nothing to do. Add hundreds of
thousands of preventable deaths of mostly elderly, infants and young
children in Iraq due to over ten years of extreme economic sanctions,
demanded by the U.S., that prevent Iraq from importing essential
medicines and disinfecting agents because of their potential for dual
usage. Don't forget the 500,000 deaths in wars supported by the U.S. in
Guatemala, El Salvador, Chile, Argentina, Haiti, Panama, and other Latin
American countries over the past half century, or the hundreds of
thousands more in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

The United States is just as guilty as any other nation in targeting
civilian population centers -- cities such as Dresden, Hamburg, and
Tokyo were mercilessly firebombed during World War II; atomic bombs were
dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, all resulting in hundreds of
thousands of civilian deaths.

Recently in Iraq, Yugoslavia, and Afghanistan the United States has
resurrected and implemented a new kind of nuclear warfare through the
use of weapons outfitted with a depleted uranium component. Upon impact,
the uranium is released in micro-sized particles that travel great
distances on the wind to contaminate air, food, soil, water, in short,
anything it touches. Post Gulf war soil samples tested in Basrah
register an 84 times greater than normal background radiation level from
uranium elements, according to studies carried out by various
international organizations.

This new American-made legacy will be remembered for its long-term,
continuous assault on innocent people and their environment. Studies
conducted by John Hopkins University reveal a sevenfold increase in
cancer, leukemia and birth defects in Iraq since the Gulf War. Full-
term babies there are born with grotesque malformations such as having
no face; no eyes or nose; twisted, fused or missing limbs; huge heads
with no brains; no digestive tract; heart defects; severe ulcerations of
the skin, and other abnormalities.

All this is made possible by each and every American who chooses to
remain silent in the face of U.S. military atrocities against humanity.
The United States is squandering both its status of most powerful nation
and its potential to do some lasting good by continuing to serve the
gods of greed, fear, hatred, war and violence. America should be leading
the world by practicing what it preaches to other nations. The truly
powerful lead by example, not by intimidation and brute force.

Placing self-righteous justification and moral superiority aside, for
all involved parties seem to claim them, we need to look at war for what
it really is -- murder and maiming, pure and simple. Our unquestioned
faith in the use of military threats, death and destruction to deter
violence and settle disagreements is an inherently flawed philosophy
that has brought the world to the brink of mutually assured destruction
with the United States leading the way.

The late Philip Berrigan had it right when he spoke about "the universal
American fantasy that 'national security' can depend on weapons of mass
destruction." These weapons we insist on amassing are instead the very
cause of our mortal danger. His final words resonate as a warning to us
all, "nuclear weapons are the scourge of the earth; to mine for them,
manufacture them, deploy them, use them, is a curse against God, the
human family, and the earth itself."

In this unparalleled period of danger and darkness brought about by the
ignorance of mad men in their lust for power, it's time for people to
awaken and do their part to transform this insane, money-making, war-
mongering mentality. Imagine what a different world this could be if
everyone took personal responsibility and vowed no longer to be a part
of the ongoing cycle of government sponsored terrorism. Imagine if the
people who build (in part or whole) bombs, guns, assault weapons and
other weapons of mass destruction were suddenly to have an attack of
conscience and leave their jobs, refusing to manufacture the evil that
gets exported around the globe. Imagine how different the world could be
if the $839 billion dollars spent yearly on military expenditures
worldwide (Arias Foundation figures for FY 2001) were instead used for
constructive purposes to alleviate hunger and provide decent housing,
education, health care and meaningful employment for all.

I am convinced that reprioritizing the use of our vast resources from
our current destructive bent towards constructive, life-affirming,
humanitarian ends would be a much more successful deterrent to terrorism
than our ineffective and inane faith in using "the violence to quell all
violence." As the great Martin Luther King, Jr. believed, "An eye for an
eye only ends up making us all blind."

Life is a series of making choices. We can choose to take the easy path
by closing our eyes and remaining part of the evil of war and violence,
whether it be through our line of employment that may directly or
indirectly contribute to government sanctioned destruction and murder,
or through the complicity of simply keeping silent in the face of
inhumane policies carried out by our government. Else, we can choose the
more difficult and courageous route of speaking out and working towards
eliminating war and weapons of mass destruction all over the world,
beginning in our own country. If we do not walk the talk of peace and
disarmament, then we are, in fact, no better than the terrorists we are
purporting to defeat.

The state and fate of our world and the legacy we leave for future
generations all come down to the individual choices we make in our
lives. As the adage from the Vietnam era significantly states, "Just
imagine if they gave a war, and nobody came."

[Doreen Miller lived, studied, worked and traveled abroad for several
years, and is currently a Senior Lecturer and educator of international
students. She dedicates part of her time to serving the elderly and
Alzheimer patients. Mother, musician and poet, she pursues an avid
interest in Buddhist and Eastern philosophy. She advocates human rights,
social justice, fair trade, and environmental protection. Doreen lives
in the United States.]

Doreen Miller encourages your comments: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

YellowTimes.org is an international news and opinion publication.
YellowTimes.org encourages its material to be reproduced, reprinted, or
broadcast provided that any such reproduction identifies the original
source, http://www.YellowTimes.org. Internet web links to
http://www.YellowTimes.org are appreciated.

http://yt.org/article.php?sid=966