--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

KWAME HOLMAN: The release of today's report by the joint Senate and
House Intelligence Committees follows nearly ten months of
investigative hearings. They gave insight into how successful the
intelligence community was in identifying terrorism threats prior to
September 11.

Committee staff director Eleanor Hill:

ELEANOR HILL: From 1994 through as late as August 2001, the
intelligence community had received information indicating that
international terrorists had seriously considered the use of airplanes
as a means of carrying out terrorist attacks.

KWAME HOLMAN: CIA Director George Tenet:

GEORGE TENET: In 1998, I told key leaders at CIA and across the
intelligence community that we should consider ourselves at war with
Osama bin Laden. I ordered that no effort or resource be spared in
prosecuting this war.

The CIA began to put in place the elements of this operational
strategy, which structured the agency's counterterrorism activity
until September 11 of 2001.

KWAME HOLMAN: But the hearings also disclosed intelligence failures.
One unidentified FBI agent talked of a "wall" that prevented the free
flow of information between the FBI and the CIA.

FBI AGENT: In my e-mails, I asked where this new wall was defined. I
wrote on August 29, 2001: "Whatever has happened to this, someday
someone will die, and wall or not, the public will not understand why
we were not more effective in throwing every resource we had at
certain problems."

KWAME HOLMAN: Michigan's Carl Levin, chairman of the Senate Armed
Services committee, picked up on some specific failures.

SEN. CARL LEVIN (D-MI): My question is do you know why the FBI was
not notified of the fact that an al-Qaida operative now was known in
March of the year 2000 to have entered the United States? Why did the
CIA not specifically notify the FBI?

www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/congress/july-dec02/intelligence_12-11.html#

[EMAIL PROTECTED]