Israeli fury over British 'arms ban'
>From Stephen Farrell in Jerusalem and Richard Beeston, Diplomatic Editor

ISRAEL has accused Britain of
imposing a covert arms embargo that could compromise its air defences in a war against
Iraq.

The diplomatic dispute between Washington’s two closest allies centres on Israeli
protests
that Britain has delayed the export of key spare parts without which Israel may have to
ground its ageing fleet of Phantom fighter- bombers.

“This is a major cloud in our bilateral relations with Britain,” Victor Harel, a
senior Israeli
Foreign Ministry official, said last night.

British officials deny imposing any boycott, covert or otherwise, but confirm that all
military
exports to Israel are carefully scrutinised to ensure that they are not used against
Palestinians in the occupied territories. “We won’t export anything that could be used
for
external aggression or internal repression,” a Foreign Office spokesman said.

The most crucial Phantom spare parts are ejector-seat charges. The British-made
devices,
which hurl a pilot to safety, are among 140 military items whose delivery has been
delayed
since the outbreak of the Palestinian intifada in September 2000, Israeli defence
officials
said.

One Israeli government official charged Britain with undermining his country’s defences
against President Saddam Hussein. He blamed a Europe-wide failure to accept that
Israel’s
actions against Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza were “self-defence against
terrorism”.

“We are talking about aircraft which are for the self- defence of Israel when we are
facing Iraq
at this point. I think we should have a much better understanding on the British side
of our
position,” he said.

 “They may also be trying to appease the Arab countries by saying, ‘Look, we don’t
have a
pro-Israeli policy - you have to help us in the big picture with Iraq.”

Israeli officials said that Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, ignored the appeals of
Binyamin
Netanyahu, the Israeli Foreign Minister, during a meeting before Christmas. They fear
an
arms ban is part of a concerted British effort to improve relations with the Arab
world ahead
of a war with Iraq, even at the expense of Anglo-Israeli ties.

Tony Blair has recently launched a charm offensive in the Arab world. Last month he
hosted
President Bashar Assad of Syria in London. This week he met President Mubarak of Egypt,
then travelled to Jordan to see King Abdullah. Later this month the Prime Minister is
hosting
a conference on reforming the Palestinian authority that Israel has already dismissed
as a
sham.

Britain approved 128 export licence requests from January to November 2001, rejecting
77.
Licences revoked since Israeli forces re-entered Palestinian areas in force after
September
2000 include weapons sights, bombing computers, target-designating equipment,
torpedoes and demolition devices.

The Foreign Office said the scrutiny was necessary because Israel had provided false
assurances about the non-use of British equipment in the occupied territories.

Israel claims the restrictions have gone to ludicrous lengths, blocking even items
such as
searchlights for police helicopters and specially- made target bullets for Israel’s
rifle-shooting
team.

 http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-3-531636,00.html
A<:>E<:>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
has to stand on its own merits.  Therefore, unless I am a first-hand
witness to any event described, I cannot attest to its validity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe simply because it has been handed down for
many generations.  Do not believe in anything simply because
it is spoken and rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything
simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe
in anything merely on the authority of teachers, elders or wise
men.  Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when
you find that it agrees with reason and is conducive to the good
and benefit of one and all.  Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutra