-Caveat Lector-

>>>Hot linques at site<<<

http://www.nationinstitute.org/tomdispatch/index.mhtml?pid=280

The President tears up

Let me string together a few bits and pieces related to the Iraqi situation. (Trust
me, I
think I'm heading somewhere.)

First, in the we-wish-had-never-said-it category: Mike Klare points out to me that in
1992
then former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney, asked for a comment on why the Bush
Administration's ended the Gulf War of 1991 without driving on Baghdad, observed
reasonably enough: "If we'd gone to Baghdad and got rid of Saddam Hussein -
assuming we could have found him - we'd have had to put a lot of forces in and run him
to ground some place. He would not have been easy to capture. Then you've got to put
a new government in his place and then you're faced with the question of what kind of
government are you going to establish in Iraq? Is it going to be a Kurdish government
or a Shia government or a Sunni government? How many forces are you going to leave
there to keep it propped up, how many casualties are you going to take through the
course of this operation?" (Interview on BBC Radio 4, "The Desert War - A Kind of
Victory," February 16, 1992, as cited in Freedman and Karsh, The Gulf Conflict 1990-
1991, p. 413.) Just for the hell of it, remind me: Exactly what's changed in the Iraqi
situation since 1992 that would contradict such a conclusion today?

Then there's the following exchange at a recent White House press briefing between
Press Secretary Ari Fleischer and Helen Thomas, once known, I think, as the "doyen" of
the press corps, now a Hearst columnist, I believe, and angry indeed about this
administration's Iraq policy:

MR. FLEISCHER: Good afternoon and happy New Year to everybody. The President
began his day with an intelligence briefing, followed by an FBI briefing. Then he had a
series of policy briefings. And this afternoon, the President will look forward to a
Cabinet
meeting where the President will discuss with members of his Cabinet his agenda for
the year. The President is going to focus on economic growth, making America a more
compassionate country, and providing for the security of our nation abroad and on the
homefront.

And with that, I'm more than happy to take your questions. Helen.

Q At the earlier briefing, Ari, you said that the President deplored the taking of
innocent
lives. Does that apply to all innocent lives in the world? And I have a follow-up.

MR. FLEISCHER: I refer specifically to a horrible terrorist attack on Tel Aviv that
killed
scores and wounded hundreds. And the President, as he said in his statement
yesterday, deplores in the strongest terms the taking of those lives and the wounding
of
those people, innocents in Israel.

Q My follow-up is, why does he want to drop bombs on innocent Iraqis?

MR. FLEISCHER: Helen, the question is how to protect Americans, and our allies and
friends --

Q They're not attacking you.

MR. FLEISCHER: -- from a country --

Q Have they laid the glove on you or on the United States, the Iraqis, in 11 years?

MR. FLEISCHER: I guess you have forgotten about the Americans who were killed in
the first Gulf War as a result of Saddam Hussein's aggression then.

Q Is this revenge, 11 years of revenge?

MR. FLEISCHER: Helen, I think you know very well that the President's position is that
he wants to avert war, and that the President has asked the United Nations to go into
Iraq to help with the purpose of averting war.

Q Would the President attack innocent Iraqi lives?

MR. FLEISCHER: The President wants to make certain that he can defend our country,
defend our interests, defend the region, and make certain that American lives are not
lost.

Q And he thinks they are a threat to us?

MR. FLEISCHER: There is no question that the President thinks that Iraq is a threat to
the United States.

Q The Iraqi people?

MR. FLEISCHER: The Iraqi people are represented by their government. If there was
regime change, the Iraqi --

Q So they will be vulnerable?

MR. FLEISCHER: Actually, the President has made it very clear that he has not dispute
with the people of Iraq. That's why the American policy remains a policy of regime
change. There is no question the people of Iraq --

Q That's a decision for them to make, isn't it? It's their country.

MR. FLEISCHER: Helen, if you think that the people of Iraq are in a position to dictate
who their dictator is, I don't think that has been what history has shown.

Q I think many countries don't have -- people don't have the decision -- including us.

To see this exchange click here

Finally, we get to our President and not Iraqi innocents but a very American form of
"innocence," the kind, I'm afraid, that we thought not so long ago had largely been
left
to Forrest Gump. Some days back, Bush addressed the Army's 1st Cavalry Division,
four thousand young soldiers preparing to head for the Gulf. The President was,
unbelievably enough, wearing a khaki military jacket in which he looked to me somehow
small and lost.

According to a front page piece in the Washington Post ("Bush Tells Troops: Prepare
For War" by Mike Allen, January 4, 2003),

"Bush invoked a moral imperative for an attack on Iraq after U.N. inspectors report
findings Jan. 27, telling members of the Army's 1st Cavalry Division that they 'will be
acting in the finest traditions of America, should we be forced to act.'

'We are ready. We're prepared,' Bush told cheering soldiers in a gymnasium at the
nation's most populous military base. 'Should Saddam Hussein seal his fate by refusing
to disarm, by ignoring the opinion of the world, you will be fighting not to conquer
anybody, but to liberate people.'

"The commander in chief, with first lady Laura Bush at his side, teared up as the
troops
sang: 'The Army's on its way. Count off the cadence loud and strong. Two! Three!'"

To read more of this Washington Post story click here

Let's forget for a moment that, had this been Michael Dukakis in a khaki jacket tearing
up at a military ceremony, he would have been laughed out of politics. (Actually, he
was.) But this is our genuine Teflon president, so move on. In fact, I had another
thought about this little passage, which stuck with me through much of the last week. I
wrote the following in my book The End of Victory Culture back in what seems like a
distant age but was only 1995:

"In returning to those decades [the fifties and sixties], I also revisited a
pop-culture
landscape that I sometimes find horrifying exactly because its artifacts continue to
affect
me so deeply. I still, in fact, possess a small assortment of my favorite toy
soldiers, and
on the rare occasions that I unpack them from two small boxes stored in the upper
reaches of a closet, I still feel an unparalleled fondness for them. As I graze the
late-
night hours on cable TV, I still get a chill down my spine when, sabers drawn and bugle
blowing, the cavalry charges. Tears still well up when that young second lieutenant
reads the letter John Wayne (just killed by a Japanese sniper) meant for his son in The
Sands of Iwo Jima, or when at any war movie's end the enemy fall by the score and the
GIs advance to the strains of some military tune.... Those [years] were for me the
best of
play times and, often, the worst of actual moments..." and so on.

(By the way, should you want to know something about my thoughts on or the history of
American triumphalism, germane indeed at this strange, embattled, triumphalist
moment, you might take a look at The End of Victory Culture.)

Believe me, boy war-play of that era went deep indeed and it's largely unwritten about.
This passage came to mind, however, the second I read of the President tearing up and
I knew, as I knew myself, that my near age peer, now commander in chief of the most
staggering, destructive military force in history, was still living in those movies
that I
know so well, dreaming of the moment when the Marines advance and the enemy falls,
of that spectacle of slaughter made innocent on screen. We all teared up in the dark in
those days. It was so convenient, since John Wayne and most of our fathers would
hardly have approved. But it's frightening -- to me, at least -- to think that a man
who
somehow, I suspect, never left that movie theater, or that era, is now in a position to
loose our armies tearily on another people.

Here then is an appropriate piece to end on -- a reflection on "Bush, the gunslinger,"
making sense (or, you may say, nonsense) of the world with only that screen to light
his
way -- and how hilarious (or is it appropriate?) that the piece appeared not here but
in
the Israeli paper Ha'aretz. Tom

Bush the gunslinger

By Arie Caspi
Ha'aretz
Jan. 9, 2003

In the movie "Witness," shown last week on Channel Ten, Harrison Ford plays a police
detective fighting corrupt cops who want to kill him. Ford identifies the bad apples
with
the help of a little Amish boy who witnessed a murder they committed. The wounded
detective flees with the boy and his mother to their farm in the Amish community, a
pacifist Christian sect whose members avoid violence even when attacked. The corrupt
cops come to the farm and try to kill Ford; unlike his hosts, who turn the other cheek
when street bullies harass them, Ford fights back. As usual, might and right win.

Without violence, the movie tells us, you just can't beat the bad guys. Its conclusion
is
shared by thousands of other American movies. George W. Bush was raised to believe
in their simplistic values. Villains are villainous to the core.

To read more of Bush, the gunslinger click here

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
posted January 9, 2003 at 5:12 pm

A<:>E<:>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
has to stand on its own merits.  Therefore, unless I am a first-hand
witness to any event described, I cannot attest to its validity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe simply because it has been handed down for
many generations.  Do not believe in anything simply because
it is spoken and rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything
simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe
in anything merely on the authority of teachers, elders or wise
men.  Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when
you find that it agrees with reason and is conducive to the good
and benefit of one and all.  Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutra