In a message dated 4/13/99 12:43:50 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<<This theory, referred to as parental alienation syndrome, or PAS, holds
that one spouse, usually the mother, is at fault for accusations of sexual
abuse that may arise during a custody case. A mother's objections to the
behavior, according to PAS, has the indescribable effect of turning the child
against the father. Therefore, the mother's influence over the child should
be halted.
. . . . According to the developer of the theory, Richard A. Gardner, a
clinical professor of child psychiatry, PAS is "a disorder of children,
arising almost exclusively in child-custody disputes, in which one parent
(usually the mother) programs the child to hate the other parent (usually the
father).">>
_____________________________________
        Despite the fact that I admittedly have a healthy suspicion and
mistrust of Psychiatry (or Psychiatry) as a legitimate, objective body of
"scientific" (or scientifically-derived) knowledge, still, there is
considerably truth to the assertion that such a dynamic  as Alienation
exists, as I have seen evidenced in two marriages of my own.  Inasmuch as my
own field of (professed) expertise is scientific in large part, I submit that
my comments may be as helpful as anyone else's in this regard:
        Two caviats in regard to the above:
        First, we should be very cautious about stating the gender-hierarchy
of this or any other dynamic.  By this I mean that, regardless of whether
statistically this particular dynamic is more commonly seen in woman, they
usually being the parents possessing custody,  and thereby potentially
exerting this pernicious power in relation to the disenfranchised men,
(fathers) and, in so doing, causing great mischief to the child and to the
relationship between child and non-custodialy parent, still, we have to be
very cautious that we do not use the statistical incidence to indict one sex
preferentially over the other.  There is a temptation (or a tendancy) on the
part of all of us--because we are human and therefore faillable--to do this.
What may start out as an authentic desire to help one group as compared to
another, very often becomes a passion to value one group over the other.  I
submit "Affirmative Action" as one grotesque example, or "Feminism" as
another.  These movements, even if we were inclined gratuitously to grant
initial sincerity to them, desolved into a grotesque parody of themselves,
eventually polarizing the sexes, or the races, and therefore harming all
parties as a consequence.  I am sure each of you can offer his or her pet
peeve as examples.
        Second, be very wary of anything labeled as a "syndrome."  The term
does have scientific validity, but the term must be applied according to
strict criteria, and not used as an arrogant means of demanding blind
obesiesence as an Article of Faith.  When we apply terms out of the context
in which they were originally derived, and use them in a wider context, we
must be able to demonstrate that the wider context (or application) has at
least as much validity as did the context in which the "syndrome" or original
term was first engendered.  Such terms as "Social Darwinism" "Inferiority
Complex" and so forth presume a deterministic--or non-volitional--aspect to
their dynamic.
        In medical school, one of my professors used the following to
demonstrate the difference:  A mother goes to two doctors in search of the
answer to a problem she has with her child: Why does he not drink milk?  The
first doctor offers a number of plausable explanations, each with a
corresponding implication with regards to what to do about the situation
(assuming for the moment that something should be done.)  The second doctor
says that the explanation is the the child is suffering from "Pediatric
Non-milk-drinking Syndrome."  (I leave it to you to decide which is more
useful.)
        A "syndrome" is a combination of two or more attributes in the same
individual where said combination is far greater than would be expected from
chance and chance alone.  Putting it another way, where any number of
attributes, each thought by definition to be sufficient unto themselves,
appear to aggregate in an individual, we suspect that "something" is at work
as the cause.  It only remains to find out what exactly that "something" is.
If used inappropriately it can lead to all sorts of erroneous notions, Group
Prejudice and Racism being good examples.  Some terms logically imply such
groupings, and must be updated as information is made available and is
incorporated, thus modifying the original term.  "Intelligence" is a classic
example of such a progression.  Where it was once thought that there was a
simple thing called "Intelligence" or "IQ," thought originally to do with the
ability to solve problems or to draw anologies, is now seen to be a complex
of numerous dispositions, spacial, linguistic, logical, interpersonal and
intrapersonal, being among the subsets now recognized.
        The reason that this issue is so poignant as it relates to human
behavior is that we differ (at least in degree) from other entities in that
we are creatures of self-conscientiousness; and in virtue of that fact,  can
be seen to exert some influence over the kind of choices we make, and thus,
over the kind of people we are seen to become.  "Knowledge is power," we are
told.  And the poet reminds us, "Man is Master of his fate, Captain of his
soul."  Chaucer in his allegory tells us "The Truth will set thee free, have
no fear!"
        But how free?  "That--is the Question,"  if I may borrow shamelessly
from The Bard.  The DSM-IV has been understandably criticized because some of
the behavior which common sense tells us is dynamic, has been labeled as a
"syndrome." There is nothing wrong with such groupings as long as the person
defining such can give precise and statistically-relevent reasons for it.
The problem becomes thus compounded by the fact that, in the realm of human
behavior, there is often (but not always) some question as to whether we do
the person thus labeled more of a disservice than we do a service simply
because there should always be at least a question--if not a sure answer--as
to whether the indominable human will could be seen to triumph over what was
regarded as the inevitable, or, as we see in criminal trials, the criminal,
(as the terms relate to behavior.)  So-called scientific "experts" (herein
referred to as "Psychiatrists,") more often than not, give (not
coincidentally) diametrically opposing views as to whether a defendant's
behavior is--or was--under his or her control, or whether it was not so, in
virtue of some syndrome, or childhood influence, or Astrological sign, or
whatever, the differences between such explanations being inconsequential
relative to the ethical implications for the accused, for the victim, and for
society as a whole.
--David