-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Philanthropist Gives A.C.L.U. $8 Million

January 15, 2003
By STEPHANIE STROM

Peter B. Lewis, the feisty philanthropist who has forced
several beneficiaries of his largess to practice greater
financial discipline, is giving $8 million to the American
Civil Liberties Union. But Mr. Lewis said there were no
strings attached to his gift.

The donation, the largest the organization has ever
received from an individual, will support the A.C.L.U.'s
efforts to fight antiterrorism measures that it deems a
violation of civil liberties.

"This gift comes at a critical time in the A.C.L.U.'s work
and the country's history," Anthony Romero, executive
director of the group, said on Monday. "Even in the midst
of an economic downturn, Peter recognizes that civil
liberties are not a luxury item to be supported only in
times of prosperity."

Mr. Lewis, a longtime member of the organization, said he
made the contribution because he wanted to show support for
Mr. Romero and the causes with which the A.C.L.U. deals.

"I just think that what they work on is very important," he
said.

Mr. Lewis's profile as a philanthropist has skyrocketed
since he declared a boycott of charities in Cleveland, his
hometown, last fall and then forced the Solomon R.
Guggenheim Museum in New York to pare its budget in
exchange for a $12 million gift.

"My gifts are not given on condition," he said. "But I have
discovered that as a philanthropist, one's leverage is
substantially before the check is written."

Mr. Romero expressed no concern over Mr. Lewis's penchant
for driving hard bargains for his gifts. Rather, he said,
he expected to be able to use the gift to encourage other
philanthropists, something about which Mr. Lewis was less
certain.

"I'm flattered that he thinks it will have that effect, but
I think philanthropists tend to be pretty independent,"
said Mr. Lewis, who made his fortune in the auto insurance
business.

Since the Sept. 11 attacks, the A.C.L.U. has seen record
growth in membership, Mr. Romero said. In 2000, it
attracted 59,607 new members, but in 2001, almost 75,000
people joined.

Last year, its ranks swelled by 90,000, bringing membership
to 330,000.

"What this demonstrates is that a growing portion of the
American public is concerned that government efforts to
ensure national security undercuts core American values
such as fairness, equality and freedom," Mr. Romero said.

The Lewis gift means that the A.C.L.U. will probably meet
its goal of raising $50 million for its endowment, he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/15/national/15CHAR.html?ex=1043631053&ei=1&en=e1e830557b34340d

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company