--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

WHY DRUGS WON'T GO AWAY -- THEY'RE TOO IMPORTANT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: IMPOSSIBLE DRUG WAR
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 00:34:34 -0500
From: "REAL NEWS" - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Us old-timers can't understand the modern "drug culture" because as
kids we were propagandized into believing that the most heinous crime
was
enticing people to try illegal drugs which would immediately ruin
them to
a lifetime of crazed addiction -- those who rode the drug dragon could
never get off -- and anyone caught selling drugs should be executed.

We heard that most drug addicts here got that way accidentally from
excessive pain killers, and that most real drug addicts were in the
opium
dens of China.

We did not hear that the British won two Opium Wars with China in
the middle nineteenth century to force China to accept opium from the
British India colony. Similar to our own Boston Tea Party, China had a
Canton Opium Party in 1838 that destroyed 20,000 chests of British
opium.

China tried to outlaw opium -- but had too many willing opium buyers
-- and too much political bribery similar to today's world.

Author Fred Reed now lives in Mexico near Guadalajara. He formerly
was a police reporter for the Washington Times and sometimes rode in
police cars to drug busts. --REAL NEWS Webmaster [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WHY DRUGS WON'T GO AWAY -- THEY'RE TOO IMPORTANT

By Fred Reed, former Washington Times police reporter ©Fred Reed 2002

Manzanillo, Mexico – Listening to the radio here the other day, I
encountered a journalist who has spent the last couple of years
investigating the drug racket hereabouts. He made interesting points.

For starters, he calculates that ten percent of Mexico's gross
national product comes from drugs. That's huge. If he is correct, or
even
close, it follows that the Mexican government cannot afford to shut
down
the drug trade.

The usual view in the States is that the problem is bribery and
corruption: If we could only get Mexican officials to be honest, the
trade would die out. But, as the reporter pointed out, a government
can't
shut down ten percent of its economy, especially a country that
doesn't
have much of an economy. In short, he said, drugs are a crucial,
almost
legitimate part of Mexico's finances.

He pointed out that in lots of villages, all income derives from
growing drugs. Farmers who could get 70 pesos a day by growing corn
get
170 pesos by growing marijuana and poppies. It lets them live
decently,
which matters if you are the one who hasn't been living decently. A
government doesn't want to re-consign its population to poverty. If it
tried to, rebellion wouldn't be inconceivable.

The guy didn't say, but countless Latinos think, not unreasonably,
that drugs are an American problem. If the gringos don't want to use
drugs, why do they buy them? The U.S. is a rich country. People
living in
mud huts do not readily sympathize with our problems.

In the States, we talk about drugs, but do little. Why? Well, if you
look at the Bill-Gatesian amounts of money involved, you easily
conclude
that enough people of importance are making out like bandits to make
drugs a major part of our economy, too. I don't know just who gets it.
Yet, a cynic might suspect, somebody is getting paid off. People have
prices. Drug dealers have the wherewithal.

Since drug dealers can make as much money in a single day as a cop
can earn in one year, some cops are easily persuaded to cooperate with
drug dealers.

What would a serious attack on drugs require in the U.S.? Most
conspicuously, an assault on the black ghetto, where drugs are most
obviously sold. This is politically impossible. It would also mean
jailing large numbers of influential whites in the suburbs, who use
lots
of drugs, but not too obviously. It would also mean jailing their
children, who use drugs copiously in the high schools. These things
also
are politically impossible.

Legalization is fun to talk about, but it isn't going to happen.
Politicians on the take don't want to see the cow dry up. Drugs are
worth
far more being illegal than legal. There is easily enough public
hostility to drugs in the U.S. to make legalization a dead letter.
Those
who profit from drugs have the resources to overcome any attempt at
legalization.

The question becomes: Who really cares about drugs? The answer seems
to be: Not much of anyone. Sure, parents don't like drugs, but they
don't
want the schools militarized, and heavy penalties actually applied
might
end up on the shoulders of their own kids. The effects of drugs on
kids
are bad, but most survive, and most lie to their parents anyway, so
everyone thinks it's someone else's problem. Parents from the Sixties
aren't very horrified in the first place.

In my years on the police beat, it has seemed to me that the anti-
drug effort has had a curiously pro-forma feel. We throw a lot of
young
blacks into prison on drug charges, largely I suspect because they're
easy to catch. If we wanted to catch white kids selling drugs, it
would
be easy, but I note we don't much do it.

The efforts we do make against drugs don't make a dent in the
problem. The effects of law-enforcement are easily measured by
checking
the availability and price of drugs on the street. They are cheap and
easy to get. The war on drugs is a joke.

I conclude that drug traffic has come to be an accepted part of the
global economy. Nobody expects to stop it. Politicians around the
world
are involved. So, at least implicitly, are governments. Some nations
depend on drugs for the well-being of their citizens.

The drug industry is an example of racial cooperation: Mostly brown
people grow drugs, mostly black people sell them, and mostly white
people
buy them.

Parents don't really care much. High-schools administrations look the
other way. Disguised acceptance by everyone is the easiest course,
involving none of the potentially disastrous costs of serious
repression.
For Politically Incorrect news you aren't supposed to think about,
send
your friends' email addresses for REAL NEWS from [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?id=149495;article=36604

peace,
Tom Mooney

-Home Page- www.cia-drugs.org