-Caveat Lector-

w w w . h a a r e t z d a i l y . c o m
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=255529
&contrassID=2&subContrassID=1&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y

French Jews stunned by claims that rabbi faked own stabbing

The French Jewish community is in an uproar over allegations that Reform
Rabbi Gabriel Farhi, who was stabbed on January 3, may in fact have faked
the stabbing.

The allegations surfaced in a report this week by the weekly magazine
Marianne, which was then picked up by Le Figaro. The journal reported
that police officers investigating the stabbing said it is not clear whether
Farhi was actually stabbed by an unknown assailant, and they are not
ruling out the possibility that Farhi in fact stabbed himself.

The report stunned French Jewry, which for the past two years has been
vociferously protesting law enforcement agencies' failure to take effective
action against the hundreds of anti-Semitic attacks the community has
suffered.

"You can imagine what a destructive effect this affair could have on the
Jewish community," said one community leader, who asked to remain
anonymous. "For two years we have been screaming about the attacks
against us and the rise of anti-Semitism in France. If, God forbid, it turns
out that the stabbing was staged, not just Rabbi Farhi is in trouble, all the
Jews are in trouble. Who will take us seriously? And that is without even
mentioning the enormous shame caused by the thought that four former
prime ministers took the trouble to support the rabbi and the Jewish
community. What will we do now? Apologize to them?"

The Reform community is backing Farhi fully. When its executive board met
Monday night to elect a new president, all 18 members made a point of
shaking Farhi's hand and offering their support. "I assure you that if I or my
colleagues in the community had any doubts at all, we would not be
expressing our support," said Francis Lentschner, the newly elected
president. "There is no doubt that the affair has greatly hurt the
community, but I'm certain we'll get over it."

The rumors began to surface immediately after the attack, when police
came to investigate. "I've seen assaults and stabbings as part of my job, but
I must say that this was a rather strange stabbing," Marianne quoted the
officer who led the investigating team as saying. A few days later, the
doctor who examined Farhi submitted a report to the police in which he
wrote that "the wound does not match the rabbi's version of the assault."

On Wednesday, Farhi and his lawyer, Michel Zaoui, held a press
conference to refute the allegations and accused the police of
deliberately trying to frame the rabbi. Zaoui, for instance, charged that it
was not the doctor's job to draw conclusions about the attack.

Lentschner also cast doubt on the police's motives. "The very day after the
attack, rumors circulated in Paris that the rabbi was responsible for his
own injury," he said. "The rabbi himself told me that during his
interrogation, the police treated him as a suspect rather than as a victim."
By Daniel Ben Simon

/hasen/objects/pages/PrintArticleEn.jhtml?itemNo=255529

close window
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sut