-Caveat Lector-

World dispatch
http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/journalist/story/0,7792,883248,00.ht
ml

An engineered crisis

The desire for hegemony over the Middle East - not Iraq's weaponry or
even its oil - is America's real motivation for war, writes Brian Whitaker

Brian Whitaker
Monday January 27, 2003
The Guardian

On the first day of war the United States will rain down 300-400 cruise
missiles on Iraq, according to a report by CBS news. That averages out at
one missile every four minutes around the clock, easily exceeding the total
fired over six weeks in the 1991 Gulf war.

The aim, according to the Pentagon sources quoted, is to cause such
"shock and awe" that Iraqi troops will lose their will to fight at the outset.
Just in case they do not get the message immediately, the US plans do the
same again on day two, CBS said.

Whether this is the actual plan or merely a strategically timed bit of
disinformation intended to terrify Baghdad in advance, I have no idea, but
anyone who has watched television over the last few days can be in little
doubt as to the awesome array of weaponry that is now being assembled
for the attack. To a world that remains mostly unconvinced of the need
for it, there is something surreal and not quite believable about this. How
has it come about? And why now?

In 1990 at least, the issue was clear: Iraq had invaded a sovereign state
(Kuwait) and could not be allowed to get away with it. Everyone, including
those who favoured a solution by diplomatic means, could understand the
principle at stake.

Since then, Iraq has done little to cause offence, though there are many
things that it might have done to redeem itself. It could have made more
effort to comply fully with UN resolutions, for instance, but it is not alone
in that and other countries are regularly let off with a verbal slap over the
wrist. Taken individually, none of Iraq's transgressions over the last few
years provides a case for war. And taken collectively, they only tell us
what we knew already: that Saddam Hussein is not the sort of man you
would trust to look after your grandmother.

Overall, whatever military threat Iraq presents, it is no greater now than it
was when UN weapons inspectors first started their work in the early
1990s and is almost certainly a great deal less. Essentially, the weapons at
the centre of the current furore are the relatively small number of items
that were still unaccounted for when the inspectors pulled out under
pressure from Iraq in 1998. On the nuclear front, the best that the White
House website can come up with is a one-line statement that Iraq's
declaration to the UN last month "ignores efforts to procure uranium from
abroad".

Until quite recently the prevailing view in Washington was that any danger
from Iraq could be effectively contained - as, indeed, it has been for the
last decade or so. This general lack of alarm about Iraq's military capacity
was reflected in security council resolution 1284, approved in 1999, which
sought to get the Iraqi issue out of the way by resuming weapons
inspections in a less aggressive manner than previously, and then
suspending sanctions if nothing untoward was found.

Iraq raised a number of objections (which it probably now regrets), but
resolution 1284 remained the security council's preferred way forward
until last November, when the goalposts were dramatically moved by the
toughly worded resolution 1441 which, in one interpretation or another,
looks set to give the US its pretext for military action.

What this amounts to is an engineered crisis that is driven from Washington
rather than Baghdad. It began with the election of George Bush and a
noticeably harder line on Iraq almost from the moment he took office.
Since then it has hardened further as the neo-conservative hawks have
gained predominance - helped in no small measure by Osama bin Laden.

Those who say that oil lies at the root of it are right up to a point, but it is
not simply a matter of grabbing Iraqi oil. The neo-conservatives see Iraqi oil
as a political weapon which can be used to undermine Saudi Arabia's
influence and thus promote their grand design for reshaping the entire
Middle East. Whether they will succeed in achieving their broader plans,
even after an invasion of Iraq, is doubtful. But there is no doubting the
damage that will be done to the US in the meantime.

Last week the US-based Middle East Institute published a report by Edward
Walker, a former assistant secretary of state for the Middle East, who has
also served as US ambassador in Israel, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates.
Following a visit to Egypt and Saudi Arabia, he found that popular opinion
in the region was "more antagonistic toward the United States than at any
time in recent memory".

"The perception is that we are driven by the six Cs - cowboys; colonialism;
conspiracy; Coca-Cola; cowardice; and clientitis," he wrote.

"The 'client' is Israel. The 'cowardice' is the perception that we are the
schoolyard bully. Coca-Cola is the symbol of an alien consumer society;
'conspiracy' is based on unrealistic expectations of US capabilities;
'colonialism' is premised on a US drive to control oil; and 'cowboys' is drawn
from a Hollywood style perception that the administration shoots from the
hip.

"The reality is that when Arabs think of the United States they think of
Israel - and when Americans think of the Arabs they think terrorism.
According to the leadership in both Saudi Arabia and Egypt, these
perceptions will be magnified tenfold if the United States invades Iraq."

It may be far too late to halt the rush towards war, but at least there are
Americans who question what is happening. Last Thursday, Paul Wolfowitz,
the deputy defence secretary, gave a talk at the council for foreign
relations in New York. It was the usual sort of stuff, with a large dose of
September 11 thrown in for good measure.

"Iraq's weapons of mass terror and the terror networks to which the Iraqi
regime are linked are not two separate themes - not two separate threats.
They are part of the same threat," Mr Wolfowitz said.

In the question-and-answer session that followed, he was challenged by a
reporter from the New York Times - hardly one of the country's most
dovish newspapers - who asked: "Given that we're talking about matters of
war and peace, does the administration plan to make a further report and
provide intelligence information to ... buttress its claims that Iraq has
resumed the production of weapons of mass destruction? And if not, is this
because of targeting concerns, sources and methods, or do you simply not
have reliable information that would stand up in a public forum?"

Mr Wolfowitz replied: "I think the short answer ... is there is a lot of
evidence; as the evidence accumulates, our ability to talk about it
undoubtedly will grow. But we don't have a lot of time; time is running
out."

So we may get the evidence in due course, but not necessarily before the
war starts. The Iraqi affair has gone on for 12 years but now time is running
out.

Why is it running out? Because Mr Wolfowitz says it is.

Another member of the audience summarised Mr Wolfowitz's position as
"We can't tell you what we have of information, but trust us. It's there."

The questioner continued: "Isn't the fundamental principle of a democratic
free nation precisely not to trust government? Why should Americans trust
their government? We've heard that before in Vietnam, we've heard it many
times: 'Trust us,' and it turned out to be untrustworthy.

"I don't see how this administration thinks it can build a policy for war,
preventive war, that would be accepted by our allies and by American
citizens on the basis of 'We've got the info; we can't tell you how we got it
or where we got it; we've got it, trust us.' And isn't that a foolish and
ultimately self-destructive way for this administration to proceed?"

Mr Wolfowitz answered: "I must say I sort of find it astonishing that the
issue is whether you can trust the US government. The real issue is, can
you trust Saddam Hussein?"

Certainly no one in their right mind would trust the Iraqi leader. But that
does not mean they have to trust Mr Wolfowitz and the US government
either.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2003
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sut