-Caveat Lector-

1/29/2003 7:30:15 AM, Prudy L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Well not so much a worsening as an elimination.  I foresee that since all
>  Israeli have been vaccinated against smallpox (and not with that killer
>  thing we're getting here; they've developed a decent vaccine for Israeli
>  use), and as soon as the war with Iraq gets going, there will be a sudden
>  "bio attack" of smallpox on Israel which will of course be blamed on
>  Saddam.  It will not sicken the Israeli, but the  the unvaccinated
>  Palestinians will die off, and Israel's major problem will be solved.   I
>  guess it's a modern enactment of that old saw, "killing two birds with
>  one stone."  Ah well.  Prudy

This is not far-fetched.  With the less mature of the English-inspired
governments of the world, the image of English and their treatment of
their far-flung "subjects" and enemies should be quite fresh.  After all,
there were the Original Americans who were given the smallpox infested
blankets in the 18th century that wiped out a significant number of them.
Perhaps the budding pols tend to think we'll roll over on their situations as
they think Americans (who were not yet Americans) rolled over for the
"blanket" policy.
http://www.nativeweb.org/pages/legal/amherst/lord_jeff.html
"" Smallpox blankets

"" Despite his fame, Jeffrey Amherst's name became tarnished by stories of
smallpox-infected blankets used as germ warfare against American Indians.
These stories are reported, for example, in Carl Waldman's Atlas of the
North American Indian [NY: Facts on File, 1985]. Waldman writes, in
reference to a siege of Fort Pitt (Pittsburgh) by Chief Pontiac's forces
during the summer of 1763:

"" ... Captain Simeon Ecuyer had bought time by sending smallpox-infected
blankets and handkerchiefs to the Indians surrounding the fort -- an early
example of biological warfare -- which started an epidemic among them.
Amherst himself had encouraged this tactic in a letter to Ecuyer. [p. 108]""

A<:>E<:>R