-Caveat Lector-

All He Left Unsaid
By William Rivers Pitt
t r u t h o u t | Perspective
http://www.truthout.org/docs_02/013003A.wrp.unsaid.htm
Wednesday 29 January 2003

On Tuesday night, the wretched specter of September 11th returned to
Logan airport, departure point for the planes that took down the Twin
Towers. Hours before George W. Bush delivered his State of the Union
speech, a commercial aircraft had to be emptied, and its passengers re-
screened, after a box cutter was discovered in a seat pocket.

During his speech, Bush attempted to tout the actions he has taken to
secure the nation against terrorism. He spoke of the Homeland Security
Department, increased border patrols, and 50,000 new airport security
screeners in place across the country. He failed, of course, to mention
the devious Total Information Awareness database that came along with
Homeland Security, and he failed to mention how bitterly he fought to
keep those 50,000 screeners out of the airports, because they would be
Federalized workers and thus able to unionize.

So much went unsaid during his speech. That box cutter at Logan,
however, spoke volumes.

The first twenty-five minutes of the Bush speech was dedicated to
domestic and economic issues. These are proving to be the Achilles heel
of this administration, just as they were the last time a Bush occupied the
Oval Office. Bush began by touting the education reform bill passed several
months ago with the help of Senator Ted Kennedy, but failed to mention
the degree to which Kennedy has since distanced himself from that bill
and the added flaws he never agreed to. He spoke of holding corporate
criminals to account, failing to mention the incredible number of Enron
executives - including his beloved Kenny-Boy - who still walk free and clear
across the nation they defiled with their fraud and deceit.

Bush had words of great praise for the trillion-dollar tax cut he foisted
during his first year in office, and rattled off a number of demands for
Congress to make those cuts permanent. Don't wait one year or three
years or five years, he said, but cement those cuts today. He failed to
mention the soaring deficits these tax cuts have caused, and likewise
failed to mention that the cuts did not one single solitary thing to help
this flagging economy.

Bush went on to roll out his new tax cut, aimed at stock dividends, which
will once again benefit the wealthiest Americans. He failed to mention how
the budget will handle this added stress; likewise, he failed to mention the
fact that a number of prominent Republicans, along with virtually every
Democrat and a mob of economists, saw this new tax cut concept as
essentially flawed and dead on arrival. Every man and woman who wants a
job must have one, said Bush. He failed to mention the millions of jobs that
have been lost by Americans since he took office.

After an inordinate amount of praise for his tax cuts, and no mention of
how the budget can survive them, Bush went on to rhetorically spend
billions and billions of dollars he does not have on hand. He proposed an
end to the 'marriage penalty', and went on to propose $1.2 billion in
spending to develop hydrogen-powered automobiles. He failed to explain
how he can afford any of this, and likewise failed to parse the hypocrisy of
touting hydrogen cars while his new tax plan provides tens of thousands of
dollars worth of write-offs for owners of gas-guzzling SUVs.

Another $450 million will go to a mentor program for children whose
parents are in prison. $600 million will go to another drug treatment
program. A whopping $15 billion will go to the noble cause of assisting the
catastrophic AIDS crisis in Africa, but not a word was spared to explain
where this money will be found. The mother of all financial boondoggles,
the Ballistic Missile Shield, got it's due to no one's great surprise.

At one point during the reading of this fiduciary laundry list, Bush
demanded fiscal responsibility from the government. A roving camera
caught House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi bursting into laughter when
that line came across.

Using a raft of semantics, Bush proposed that Medicare be moved into the
HMO system, with newly minted Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist smiling
from the crowd. He failed to mention how much HMOs loathe caring for
senior citizens. He proposed the development of cleaner energy
technology while increasing energy reliance at home, but failed to explain
that this was code for the despoiling of the Alaskan National Wildlife
Refuge.

The faith-based initiative earned a return appearance in the Bush speech,
with much talk of compassion and service. He failed to describe the
degree to which such a program will annihilate the sacred and absolutely
necessary separation between church and state. The Federal government
will be offering services to those Americans who "deserve" attention, and
the rest will be left to the whims of religious institutions.

To be sure, this was a generalized list, filled with hyperbole and great
praise for the failed economic plans of the last two years. Upon arriving at
the subject of foreign policy and war, however, Mr. Bush shifted gears. In
every way, his delivery became more dynamic, his voice more like a man
standing before a congregation of the faithful. Nearly every line was met
with crashing applause from his Republican allies arrayed before him.

Bush spoke of liberating Afghanistan, but failed to mention that this was
done with the overwhelming approval and support of the international
community. He spoke again of chasing terrorists across the globe. "The war
goes on," said Bush, "and we are winning." He listed a number of al Qaeda
agents who had been detained without providing much in the way of
specifics, and stated that some 3,000 suspected terrorists were under
arrest. Many more have been dealt with; "Put it this way," said Bush. "They
are no longer a problem." He failed to describe the premises upon which
those 3,000 were detained, and likewise failed to mention that in the
process of rendering those others 'non-problematic,' his war in Afghanistan
sent more civilians to death than were lost on September 11th.

The last twenty minutes of Bush's speech were dedicated almost
exclusively to the looming conflict in Iraq. He leveled a damning finger at
Saddam Hussein, accusing him of hiding anthrax, VX, botulinin toxin and
other terrible weapons. He failed to provide an iota of evidence to back
up these assertions, and on a number of occasions trotted out 'evidence'
that had been debunked by the UN inspectors and the CIA. Bush raised
the dire threat of a nuclear-capable Iraq, but failed to note that the
nuclear inspectors in Iraq have given that nation a totally clean bill of
health. He likewise failed to mention that his administration and the
Pentagon have approved the use of nuclear weapons in Iraq as mainstream
tactical battlefield tools.

Bush on several occasions linked Hussein directly to al Qaeda, painting at
one point a picture of nineteen hijackers directed by Hussein
commandeering aircraft and loading them with chemical or biological
weapons. He offered no proof of this. He failed to mention that Hussein is
a secular dictator who has spent the last thirty years crushing Islamic
fundamentalism in Iraq, failed to mention the death threats levied against
him by al Qaeda, and failed to mention the absolute fact that Hussein
would never be so stupid as to give weapons or aid to blood enemies.
Were he to do so, he would find those weapons immediately turned
against him.

Bush failed to mention how the American economy could handle the
billions of dollars needed to support the war, the inevitable oil shock that
would come as a result of the war, the billions more needed for his missile
shield, the billions needed to push his new tax cut through, the billions
needed to make his old tax cut permanent, and the billions needed to pay
for the new programs he proposed.

Bush failed to explain why so many Admirals and Generals, including
Generals Zinni and Schwartzkopf, have spoken about the recklessness of
this war plan. He failed to mention the inevitable blowback of terrorism
that America would suffer should this war take place, especially if it takes
place with a 'coalition of the willing' that does not include a UN sanction.

At no time, and in no way, did George W. Bush mention the name Osama
bin Laden.

State of the Union speeches are political events, filled with pomp and
circumstance and tradition. When a President proposes new policies and
new challenges, and backs those proposals up with beneficial actions, the
politics of the speech are worth their weight in gold. As the elder Bush
discovered, after his empty speech of 1992, baseless rhetoric with no
follow-up is as the crack of doom. Bush cannot afford the domestic
policies he has proposed, and charts a deadly path to war abroad. There
was so much left unsaid during this speech. Those empty spaces may
prove, in the end, to be his downfall.

--------

William Rivers Pitt is a New York Times bestselling author of two books -
"War On Iraq" (with Scott Ritter) available now from Context Books, and
"The Greatest Sedition is Silence," available in May 2003 from Pluto Press.
He teaches high school in Boston, MA.

Scott Lowery contributed research to this report.

© : t r u t h o u t 2002 | t r u t h o u t | forum | issues | editorial | letters
| donate | contact |
| voting rights | environment | budget | children | politics | indigenous
survival | energy |
| defense | health | economy | human rights | labor | trade | women |
reform | global |
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sut