Red Alert: Fear of Increasing Failures and Foreign
Domination May Lead to Nationalization of Japanese Banks

Summary

Speaking in Tokyo on April 13, Hakuo Yanagisawa, head of
Japan's Financial Reconstruction Commission, said that he
feared many Japanese regional banks may intentionally go
under, judging that relying on the government safety nets
is more profitable than continuing to operate under current
conditions.  Yanagisawa said he was worried that if too
many regional banks collapse, foreign banks will dominate
the Japanese financial landscape.  In commenting on the
voluntary closure of banks, Yanagisawa asked, "If such
cases are to surface, I wonder how we should prevent them?"
Given the threat of a financial market consisting primarily
of foreign banks, it seems possible that the solution will
involve continuing moves to nationalize Japanese banks.

Analysis

The head of Japan's Financial Reconstruction Commission,
Hakuo Yanagisawa, warned that the impending collapse and
subsequent government takeover of Kokumin Bank might signal
a wave of other regional banks folding.  Speaking in Tokyo,
Yanagisawa said, "When faced with the collapse of Kokumin
Bank I strongly felt that second-tier regional banks may
start finding their banking business unprofitable and
thinking they may as well dump their business because the
government will protect them with a well grounded safety
net."  He added, "Since we have established a safety net
which is too perfect, the banks do not fear making a
mistake.  Indeed, they may voluntarily start going under.
If such cases are to surface, I wonder how we should
prevent them."

 visit STRATFOR's web site
http://www.stratfor.com/services/aiu/

Nationalize all banks all the time. Not just when they are failing
do to the greed and incompetence of private bankers. Banking is way too
important in a modern society to leave it in the hands of capitalists.

Joshua2