&xld=320
By Don Finley
Express-News Medical Editor

Web Posted : 02/11/2003 12:00 AM

Texas is in the midst of one of the oddest influenza seasons in memory,
with five distinct strains circulating in the state. And it's showing no sign of
abating, health officials said Monday.

Flash graphic

The spread of flu

To view the graphic you must have the
Flash plugin.
The worst offender has been a strain known as B-Hong Kong, which has
swept through schools across the state, causing high absentee rates and
forcing some schools and districts to close their doors temporarily.

B-Hong Kong last circulated in the late 1980s and early 1990s, so school-
age children have no immunity to the virus. And most school-age children
are not vaccinated against flu, although new federal guidelines recommend
that children ages 6 months to 23 months get flu shots beginning this year.
B-Hong Kong is one of the three strains this year's vaccine protects
against.

"This is unprecedented, the number of schools and school districts that
have been closed this year," said Neil Pascoe, who tracks flu for the Texas
Department of Health. "As of last week, 53 school districts have closed (in
Texas sometime during the flu season). How many last year? None."

Although B-Hong Kong has been the primary strain, Texas also has seen a
second B strain and three A strains in smaller numbers. A-type flu strains
tend to be more genetically stable, permitting people to develop some
immunity from year to year. B strains are more sporadic and vary more,
causing more problems among the young.

Texas has been unusual in the severity of the season, and the number of
strains circulating, Pascoe said. At the beginning of February, only six
states including Texas were reporting widespread flu activity, according to
the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Although February is a bit late to get a flu shot, Pascoe urged people who
haven't yet had one to consider getting it.

"If we have a second wave of influenza A, this is going to be a real nasty
season," Pascoe said.

San Antonio has been hard hit.

"We've had a big pool of kiddos" with the flu, said Roger Sanchez, an
epidemiologist with the Metropolitan Health District. "Once it gets to a
school, it runs through the whole student body. We've seen close to 20
percent absentee rates in some instances. Then a week later, it's back
down to normal."

"Some of my school nurses that have been with me a long time, it's been so
long they can't remember when we've had years like this before," said
Shirley Schreiber, director of health services for the Northside School
District.

Along with flu, a lot of other nasty bugs are circulating, including upper
respiratory viruses, strep throat, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and so
on.

"We were seeing a virus with vomiting, diarrhea, then some strep throat, as
well as the flu," Schreiber said. "The difference is, with the flu, those kids
were pretty sick with high temperatures for about three or four days. I've
had a number of my staff people out also."

The health district still has flu vaccine available through its clinics. For
information or clinic locations, call (210) 207-8750. The district charges $10
for adults and $5 for each of the two pediatric doses required. Seniors
over 65 and other at-risk groups can receive the pneumonia vaccine, a
one-time shot, at the same visit.

Medicare, Medicaid, CareLink, Community First and CHIP card carriers will
not be charged for the flu shot upon proof of coverage.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

02/11/2003
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sut