-Caveat Lector-

February 19, 2003

The Origins of the  Bush Iraq War Plan
http://www.counterpunch.org/leopold02192003.html
The 1998 Rumsfeld & Wolfowitz Memo to Clinton

by JASON LEOPOLD

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Deputy Secretary Paul Wolfowitz
undertook a full-fledged lobbying campaign in 1998 to get former President
Bill Clinton to start a war with Iraq and topple Saddam Hussein's regime
claiming that the country posed a threat to the United States, according
to documents obtained from a former Clinton aide.

This new information begs the question: what is really driving the Bush
Administration's desire to start a war with Iraq if two of Bush's future top
defense officials were already planting the seeds for an attack five years
ago?

In 1998, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz were working in the private sector. Both
were involved with the right-wing think tank Project for a New American
Century, which was established in 1997 by William Kristol, editor of the
Weekly Standard, to promote global leadership and dictate American
foreign policy.

While Clinton was dealing with the worldwide threat from Al-Qaeda and
Osama Bin Laden, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz wrote to Clinton urging him to
use military force against Iraq and remove Hussein from power because the
country posed a threat to the United States due to its alleged ability to
develop weapons of mass destruction. The Jan 26, 1998 letter sent to
Clinton from the Project for the New American Century said a war with
Iraq should be initiated even if the United States could not muster support
from its allies in the United Nations. Kristol also signed the letter.

"We are writing you because we are convinced that current American
policy toward Iraq is not succeeding, and that we may soon face a threat
in the Middle East more serious than any we have known since the end of
the Cold War," says the letter. "In your upcoming State of the Union
Address, you have an opportunity to chart a clear and determined course
for meeting this threat. We urge you to seize that opportunity, and to
enunciate a new strategy that would secure the interests of the U.S. and
our friends and allies around the world. That strategy should aim, above
all, at the removal of Saddam Hussein's regime from power."

"We urge you to turn your Administration's attention to implementing a
strategy for removing Saddam's regime from power. This will require a full
complement of diplomatic, political and military efforts. Although we are
fully aware of the dangers and difficulties in implementing this policy, we
believe the dangers of failing to do so are far greater. We believe the U.S.
has the authority under existing UN resolutions to take the necessary
steps, including military steps, to protect our vital interests in the Gulf. In
any case, American policy cannot continue to be crippled by a misguided
insistence on unanimity in the UN Security Council," says the letter.

The full contents of the Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz letter can be viewed at
http://www.newamericancentury.org/ iraqclintonletter.htm.

Clinton rebuffed the advice from the future Bush Administration officials
saying he was focusing his attention on dismantling Al-Qaeda cells,
according to a copy of the response Clinton sent to Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz
and Kristol.

Unsatisfied with Clinton's response, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Kristol and others
from the Project for the New American Century wrote another letter on
May 29, 1998 to former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Senate
Republican Majority Leader Trent Lott saying that the United States
should "establish and maintain a strong U.S. military presence in the
region, and be prepared to use that force to protect our vital interests in
the Gulf - and, if necessary, to help remove Saddam from power."

"We should take whatever steps are necessary to challenge Saddam
Hussein's claim to be Iraq's legitimate ruler, including indicting him as a war
criminal," says the letter to Gingrich and Lott. "U.S. policy should have as
its explicit goal removing Saddam Hussein's regime from power and
establishing a peaceful and democratic Iraq in its place. We recognize that
this goal will not be achieved easily. But the alternative is to leave the
initiative to Saddam, who will continue to strengthen his position at home
and in the region. Only the U.S. can lead the way in demonstrating that his
rule is not legitimate and that time is not on the side of his regime."

The letter to Gingrich and Lott can be viewed at http://
www.newamericancentury.org/iraqletter1998.htm.

The White House would not comment on the letters or whether Rumsfeld
and Wolfowitz possessed any intelligence information that suggested Iraq
posed an imminent threat to the United States at the time. The letters
offered no hard evidence that Iraq was in possession of weapons of mass
destruction.

The Clinton aide said the former President believed that the policy of
"containing Saddam Hussein in a box" was successful and that the Iraqi
regime did not pose any threat to U.S. interests at the time.

President Clinton "never considered war with Iraq an option," the former
aide said. "We were encouraged by the UN weapons inspectors and
believed they had a good handle on the situation."

Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and Kristol, however, disagreed; saying the only way
to deal with Hussein was by initiating a full-scale war.

"The policy of "containment" of Saddam Hussein has been steadily eroding
over the past several months," Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and Kristol wrote in
their letter to Clinton. "As recent events have demonstrated, we can no
longer depend on our partners in the Gulf War coalition to continue to
uphold the sanctions or to punish Saddam when he blocks or evades UN
inspections. It hardly needs to be added that if Saddam does acquire the
capability to deliver weapons of mass destruction, as he is almost certain
to do if we continue along the present course, the safety of American
troops in the region, of our friends and allies like Israel and the moderate
Arab states, and a significant portion of the world's supply of oil will all be
put at hazard. The only acceptable strategy is one that eliminates the
possibility that Iraq will be able to use or threaten to use weapons of mass
destruction. In the near term, this means a willingness to undertake
military action as diplomacy is clearly failing. In the long term, it means
removing Saddam Hussein and his regime from power."

Those alleged threats posed by Iraq and the advice Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz
and Weekly Standard Editor William Kristol first offered the attention of
the Clinton Administration five years ago have now become the blueprint
for how the Bush Administration is dealing with the Iraq.

The existence of the Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz "war" letters is just another
reason to question the Bush Administration's desire to go to war with Iraq
now instead of dealing with other pressing issues such as Al- Qaeda.
Because the letters were written in 1998 it proves that this war was
planned well before 9-11 and casts further doubt on the claims that
Saddam Hussein was involved in the 9-11 terrorist attacks.

Jason Leopold can be reached at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sut