Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 12:06:59 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [JBirch] help

    Entangling Alliances:
             George Washington vs. the U.N.

By Tom DeWeese

There are a lot of people in this country who don't believe the United
Nations is a threat to American sovereignty and independence.

Many on Capitol Hill will tell you that there is not a single word in a
single U.N. document that says the U.N. will control land in this country.
Technically that's true. In fact, most U.N. documents take great pains to
include language to specifically state that each nation will maintain its own
sovereignty.

Here's why the U.N. is, in fact, a threat and how it all works. Sovereignty
is the answer to the question: "who's in charge?" You have to answer that
question before you can answer the parallel question: "who's responsible?" To
have true sovereignty over our land, we the people, through our elected
representatives, must be in charge of decisions over it, and we must have the
responsibility to carry out those decisions.

Keep in mind that you can voluntarily give up both control and
responsibility. However, even if it is voluntary, it's still loss of control.
The United States has been taking that path of voluntary surrender of control
for several years, through acceptance of a number of United Nations treaties
and agreements. It is through this matrix, this spider's web of so-called
"international law," that this nation cedes control to the United Nations.

Consider just a few of the U.N. treaties and agreements that the United
States has already agreed to abide. They include the World Heritage Sites
Treaty, UNESCO, Agenda 21, the Convention on Climate Change, and The Man and
the Biosphere program. Each of these is part of an agenda called "Sustainable
Development" which calls for changing the very infrastructure of our nation,
away from private ownership and control of property to nothing short of
national zoning, and a whole lot more.

In 1796, George Washington warned his new nation "Against the insidious wiles
of foreign influence (I conjure you to believe me, fellow citizens) the
jealousy of a free people ought to be constantly awake, since history and
experience prove that foreign influence is one of the most baneful foes of
republican government." Washington said "The great rule of conduct for us in
regard to foreign nations is in extending our commercial relations, to have
with them as little political connection as possible."

Sustainable Development combines social welfare programs with partnerships
between business and government, using environmental issues to make it all
appear to be urgent. This environmental agenda is driven by the United
Nations through two specific U.N. organizations, the United Nations
Environmental Program and the International Union of Conservation and Nature.

Would it surprise you to learn that six agencies of the United States
government are active members of the International Union of Conservation and
Nature, including the Departments of State, Interior, Agriculture and the
Fish and Wildlife service? These agencies send representatives to all
meetings of the U.N. Environmental Program.

This kind of intergovernmental cooperation with U.N. policy led to a showdown
over the issue of control in 1995, when radical environmentalists and the
Department of Interior wanted to stop the building of a gold mine on private
land, several miles from Yellowstone National Park. This federal department
simply called in the U.N.'s World Heritage Committee to visit Yellowstone,
whereupon the committee declared the park to be the world's first endangered
heritage site. That designation was enough to stop the building of private
enterprise and clearly establish who was in control.

By joining the Convention Concerning the Protection of World Culture and
National Heritage, adopted in November 1972 at the 17th General Conference of
UNESCO, the United States ceded control over Yellowstone National Park, the
Everglades National Park, the Grand Canyon National Park, the Great Smoky
Mountains National Park, Yosemite National Park, the Carlsbad Caverns
National Park, and, you will find this astounding, Monticello, Jefferson's
home, and the Statue of Liberty!

Webster's defines "sovereignty" as "undisputed political power." We no longer
have this precious right, gained by the blood of patriots, over these and
other so-called World Heritage sites.

Through all of the treaties, agreements and meetings, there grows an
interlocking web of policy that takes root through these federal agencies,
even driving down into state and local community governments.

The treaties are the roots of the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act and the
Endangered Species Act. For Congress to back out of these laws or even to
consider reducing some of the regulations that are destroying industry or
private property rights would put the United States in violation of the U.N.
treaties!

It is not just about environmental policy that's involved. There are equally
binding U.N. treaties and agreements covering education programs, child
welfare, women's rights, as well as gun control.

Most recently, the U.N. abandoned all pretense of respecting sovereign
independence.

The International Criminal Court was approved when only 60 nations ratified
it, but according to U.N. policy, the court has jurisdiction over all
nations, whether they ratified it or not. Never in the history of
international relations has such a policy even been proposed, let alone
adopted.

Now, many of you rightly complain that you keep electing politicians who
promise to corral the size and scope of government and reinstate the rule of
the Constitution, but it never seems to happen. Why? Because we are bound by
U.N. treaties that say we can't, and by a Federal government that says we
won't.

Now ask yourselves the question again: Who's in charge? And who's
responsible?

Neither George Washington nor any of the Founding Fathers would ever have put
their names to the United Nations Charter or agreed to any of these
intrusive, interlocking treaties and agreements for the simple reason that
they diminish American control, American responsibility and American
sovereignty.

The only way for the United States of America to reassert and reestablish its
sovereignty is to get out of the United Nations.

Tom DeWeese is the president of the <A HREF="http://www.americanpolicy.org./";>American
Policy Center</A> and
publisher/editor of The DeWeese Report, a monthly public affairs newsletter.

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>