-Caveat Lector-

http://www.canoe.ca/Columnists/coren.html
March 1, 2003

Animal liberation bigots

By MICHAEL COREN -- Sun Media

A new breed of dunderhead has developed: the Holocaust Diminisher. I
speak of those people who by compromise or comparison minimize the
unique catastrophe of the slaughter of six million Jews and six million
Gentiles by the Nazis during World War II.

The latest in the breed is People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals,
known as PETA. Long known for their absurd antics and extremism, they
have now initiated a campaign called "Holocaust on Your Plate." The aim is
to force a non-meat and egg diet on everybody, contrary to the needs and
physiological construct of our bodies.

"Just as the Nazis tried to 'dehumanize' Jews by forcing them to live in
filthy, crowded conditions," says PETA, "animals on today's factory farms
are stripped of all that is enjoyable and natural to them and treated as
nothing more than meat, egg and milk-making machines."

Nobody has ever accused animal liberation zealots of being intellectual
giants, but this one really takes the non-animal product biscuit. They
accuse the Nazis of dehumanizing Jews, and immediately compare the
plight of Holocaust victims to that of cows, hens and sheep. What is this if
not direct dehumanization?

They speak of some of the admittedly unacceptable actions committed on
farm animals and then claim this was, "the very same mindset that made the
Holocaust possible - that we can do anything we want to those we decide
are different or inferior - is what allows us to commit atrocities against
animals every single day."

HITLER A VEGETARIAN

If they knew their history, these people would realize that animal abuse
was actually a crime in Nazi Germany. A Jew or a Slav could be shot on
sight, but not a dog. Hitler himself was a vegetarian who was obsessed with
animal welfare. The British Nazi Party was formed by a vet who hated Jews
for the allegedly cruel kosher method of animal slaughter.

But PETA goes even further in its nuttiness.

"During the seven years between 1938 and 1945, 12 million people perished
in the Holocaust. That same number of animals is killed every four hours
for food in the U.S. alone ... Our grandchildren will ask one day: Where
were you during the Holocaust of the animals? What did you do against
those horrifying crimes? We won't be able to offer the same excuse the
second time, that we didn't know."

I think I'll tell my grandchildren that I was eating a ham sandwich, drinking
a glass of milk and trying to raise awareness of the mass exploitation of
people in the developing world and the fact some middle class North
Americans have more time and money than common sense and genuine
compassion for the right causes.

Remember, PETA is the organization that complained to Yasser Arafat
about terrorism. Not because Israelis or Palestinians had died, but because
a donkey was used to transport a bomb and was killed in the incident.
When asked to perhaps condemn the violence against humans in the
region, the president of PETA replied, "It's not my business to inject myself
into human wars."

The organization is touring with a huge display which shows pictures of
dead animals next to the bodies of people who died under Hitler. Very
good taste - whoops, I meant taste as in the non-animal variety.

One cannot help juxtaposing all this with good old Ernst Zundel, who was
thrown out of the U.S. and is now back in Canada. The veteran Holocaust
denier is not a Canadian citizen and is a wanted man back in his beloved
Germany. One would have hoped he had more courage than he has shown.
A genuine martyr for a cause would face the consequences of his actions,
but Ernst seems anxious to escape the very same.

He denies the Holocaust. PETA diminishes it. There is, of course, a
difference. But remember that PETA has many impressionable and even
famous supporters, whereas Ernst is followed by people who think vegans
are a race of funny-eared people in Star Trek. PETA will be welcomed in
many respectable places, Ernst can't even find a country in which to live.

Hang your heads in shame, animal liberation bigots. As for Ernst, just hold
on to your hard hat and polish up your prison German.

Michael Coren is a Toronto-based writer and broadcaster. He can be
emailed at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and his web site is michaelcoren.com.
Letters to the editor should be sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Know someone who might be interested in this page? Just type in the
email address to send them the URL

Enter a destination email address:
Enter your email address:

This site is updated by 5:30 a.m. ET each day and includes stories and
columns from the day's print

edition of the Sun. Use these links to find the Sun stories you are looking
for. For updated news, sports, business and entertainment updates around
the clock, we invite you to use the links from our CANOE network. If you
are having difficulty viewing this page, please contact Tim Kraan, Managing
Editor, Canoe.ca

News / Money / Life / Showbiz / Sports / Editorial / Columnists

Sun Media: Calgary Sun / Ottawa Sun / Edmonton Sun / London Free Press
/ Winnipeg Sun

CANOE home | We welcome your feedback.
Copyright © 2003, CANOE, a division of Netgraphe Inc.All rights reserved.
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sutra

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>