-Caveat Lector-

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_1870.shtml
>From Capitol Hill Blue

1600 Pennsylvania
Advisors warn Bush he faces "humiliating" defeat on world stage
By CHB Staff
Mar 3, 2003, 22:22

Senior aides to President George W. Bush say he faces a humiliating defeat
before the United Nations Security

Council next week.

Secretary of State Colin Powell, fresh from his latest round of meetings
with representatives of countries on the Security Council, delivered the
bad news to Bush on Monday.

"You will lose, Mr. President," Powell told Bush. "You will lose badly and
the United States will be humiliated on the world stage."

Some White House advisors are now urging the President to back off his
tough stance on war with Iraq and give UN weapons inspectors more time.

"We have no other choice," admits one Bush advisor. "We don't have the
votes. We don't have the support."

Powell told Bush on Monday that Turkey's refusal to allow U.S. troops to
stage at the country's border with Iraq doomed any chance of consensus
at the UN.

"Many were watching Turkey," Powell told Bush. "Had they agreed, it might
have helped us sway critical votes."

Some Bush aides now admit privately that the President, for all his tough
talk, may have to back down and postpone his plans to invade Iraq in the
near future.

"The vote in Turkey fucked things up big time," grumbles one White House
aide. "It pushes our timetable back. On the other hand, it might give us a
chance to save face."

"Saving face" means backing away from a showdown with the UN Security
Council next week and agreeing to let the weapons inspection process run
its course.

"The arrest of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed gives us some breathing room," says
a Bush strategist. "We can concentrate on the favorable publicity
generated by the arrest and the valuable intelligence we have gained from
that event."

Mohammed, arrested in Pakistan, masterminded the 9-11 terrorist attacks.
CIA agents found computer files, memos and other materials which pointed
to plans for new attacks against the U.S.

"The prudent thing to do would be to let Iraq cool off on a back burner
and concentrate on Mohammed," says Democratic strategist Arnold
Beckins. "Saddam isn't going anywhere. There's too much heat on him right
now for him to pull something."

Right now, only the U.S., Britain and Spain favor immediate military action
against Iraq. With most of the other allies lining up against the U.S., Bush
faces both a diplomatic and public relations nightmare if he proceeds
against Hussein without UN backing.

"We've always needed an exit strategy," admits one White House aide.
"Circumstances have given us one. We shouldn't ignore it."

© Copyright 2003 Capitol Hill Blue
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sutra

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>