-Caveat Lector-

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2
&u=/ucas/20030307/cm_ucas/pseudo_patriotism_trumps_core_american_val
ues
PSEUDO-PATRIOTISM TRUMPS CORE AMERICAN VALUES

Thu Mar 6,10:11 PM ET

By Cynthia Tucker

When President Bush (news - web sites) visited Atlanta in mid-February,
suburban housewife Sally Rountree decided to take the opportunity to
show her opposition to the probable invasion of Iraq (news - web sites). So
she scribbled a homemade sign -- "No War for Oil" -- and found a place
along the route of the presidential motorcade, hoping Bush would see her
protest.

As she tells it, she was never rude. She didn't shout. She didn't elbow
other onlookers or jostle toward the front of the crowd. She merely stood
holding her sign.

Nevertheless, for the offense of exercising her rights as a citizen of one of
the world's greatest democracies, she was spat on, threatened and yelled
at. One man went so far as to denounce her for wearing a cross around
her neck, "insinuating I was not a Christian," she said.

As she wrote in an op-ed essay for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: "I was
frightened that my neighbors were going to hurt me because I dared to
express my opinion. This could not be happening. Not in America, right?"

But it is happening here.

Rountree is not the only dissenting voice to find that her fellow citizens
have adopted a pinched and distorted pseudo-patriotism that manages to
mangle the very democratic principles upon which the nation was founded
-- including the freedom to freely criticize the president without fear of
retribution.

Around the country, anti-war dissenters have been threatened and
harassed, even for the mildest protests. An Albany, N.Y., mall, for example,
has apparently ejected some shoppers wearing peace slogans.

Last week, a security guard approached Stephen Downs at the Crossgates
Mall and asked him to remove the T-shirt he was wearing, emblazoned with
the words "Peace on Earth" and "Give peace a chance." When Downs
refused to remove the shirt or leave the mall, he was arrested for
trespassing. (The charges were later dropped.) Three months ago, a group
of activists wearing similar shirts were asked to leave the same mall,
according to The Associated Press. So much for freedom of expression.

There is layer upon layer of sad irony here. Even as President Bush
denounces Saddam's tyranny and vows to plant the seeds of democracy in
Iraq, Americans are trying to suppress their neighbors' right to express
dissenting views -- one of the very pillars of American democracy. The
citizens' right to criticize their leaders was so important to the Founding
Fathers that they placed free speech in the First Amendment to the
Constitution.

You would think that President Bush would use his bully pulpit to remind
Americans that they ought to be modeling the democratic values that we
are trying to export. But the White House has already proved a
disappointment along those lines.

Back in October 2001, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer (news - web
sites) didn't stop at disagreeing with satirist Bill Maher, who suggested the
9/11 terrorists were "not cowards" in their suicide. Instead, Fleischer
snapped: "All Americans need to watch what they do, and this is not a time
for remarks like that." Coming from the president's spokesman, it was a
chilling suggestion of censorship.

The oddest thing about this wave of pseudo-patriotism is that it serves as a
substitute for genuine patriotism -- for a sense of shared sacrifice that
would befit a proud nation threatened by hostile forces. Military
recruiters report no upsurge in enlistment. And while one or two
courageous voices have suggested a debate on a draft -- either for the
military or for homeland security -- conscription is widely considered a
political impossibility.

Few politicians would dare suggest we make any real sacrifices in the
service of our country. Instead, too many of us believe we have shown
ourselves to be great patriots when we stick an American flag bumper
sticker on the old SUV and run over the peace placards in our neighbor's
yard. Perhaps we've forgotten what we're fighting to defend.

Cynthia Tucker is editorial page editor for the Atlanta Constitution. She
can be reached by e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Email Story

 Post/Read Msgs (153)

 Formatted Story

Ratings: Would you recommend this story?

Not at all 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 Highly

Next Story:
TRANSPLANT TRAGEDY MAY SLOW RUSH TO TORT REFORM (Cynthia Tucker)

More Op/Ed - Cynthia Tucker Stories

·
TRANSPLANT TRAGEDY MAY SLOW RUSH TO TORT REFORM (Cynthia Tucker)

·
POWELL SQUANDERS CREDIBILITY BY LINKING OSAMA TO SADDAM (Cynthia
Tucker)

·
GEORGIA'S GOVERNOR MUST GIVE UP CONFEDERATE GHOSTS (Cynthia
Tucker)

·
COSTS OF WAR WITH IRAQ MAY BE MORE THAN WE CAN BEAR (Cynthia
Tucker)

Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sutra

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>