Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:51:27 -0700
From: Media Research Center <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Untitled

             ***Media Research Center CyberAlert***
      11:50am EST, Monday March 10, 2003 (Vol. Eight; No. 45)
  The 1,452nd CyberAlert. Tracking Liberal Media Bias Since 1996

> Jennings Argues to Powell that Inspections are Working
> NBC's Typical Iraqi: "America is a Terrorist Country"
> GMA Duo Marvel: Iraqis "Love" Hussein Who Earned 100% Vote
> Iraq "Distracting" from War on Terror? No Says 9-11 Victim
> Totenberg Calls Iraq Buying U.S. Uniforms "Disinformation"
> CBS Skips Over Poll Showing Backing of Military Action on Iraq
> Jane Hall Scolds MRC for "Demonizing" Those Against War
> Hume: Thomas is "Nutty Aunt in the Attic of the Press Corps"
> NBC's Matt Lauer Says Now is Time to Raise Taxes

    #### Distributed to more than 11,900 recipients by the Media
Research Center, bringing political balance to the news media
since 1987. The MRC is the leader in documenting, exposing and
neutralizing liberal media bias. Visit the MRC on the Web:
http://www.mediaresearch.org. CyberAlerts from this year are at:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/archive/cyber/welcome.asp
For 2002: http://www.mediaresearch.org/archive/cyber/archive02.asp
    Subscribe/unsubscribe information, as well as a link to the
MRC donations page, are at the end of this message.
    When posted, this CyberAlert will be readable at:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20030310.asp ####

1) ABC's Peter Jennings pounded away at Secretary of State Colin
Powell from the left in an interview aired on Friday's World News
Tonight, pressing him repeatedly about giving the inspectors more
time. Jennings declared: "So many people don't understand why you
shouldn't let the inspections continue if they are accomplishing
anything." Jennings also argued: "Most people think they're doing
a reasonably effective job at the moment."

2) From behind enemy lines in Baghdad, as if Iraqi public opinion
is informed or is accurately expressed to a camera, on Friday's
NBC Nightly News Ron Allen relayed how "many Iraqis believe
whatever they do, the United States will find a reason for war."
At a Baghdad cafe Allen highlighted a man who charged: "America is
a terrorist country."

3) ABC's Diane Sawyer and Dan Harris marveled Friday morning over
the "love" Iraqis have for Saddam Hussein. Sawyer brought up how
Hussein says "the love that the Iraqis have for him is so much
greater than anything Americans feel for their President because
he's been loved for 35 years, he says, the whole 35 years" as
President. From Baghdad, Dan Harris relayed Hussein's claim that
he is "restoring Iraq to its greatness, its historical greatness.
He points out frequently that he was elected with a hundred
percent margin recently."

4) Not the answer she wanted. On Friday's Good Morning America,
Diane Sawyer asked the mother of a 9-11 victim if she worries that
war with Iraq "will distract from a concerted, concentrated
approach to the war on terror with Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda?,"
the woman replied: "I think that President Bush's focus on Iraq is
consistent with his focus on the war on terror."

5) NPR's Nina Totenberg dismissed as "our own disinformation, it
just doesn't seem to be worth the time and effort," the story that
the Saddam Hussein regime is obtaining U.S. military uniforms so
his operatives can wear them while committing atrocities against
Iraqi civilians. Totenberg insisted on Inside Washington over the
weekend that it's much more likely Iraq just wants to "confuse us"
than they would kill their own people.

6) CBS's Bill Plante maintained on Thursday night that "the nation
remains almost equally divided on whether the administration has
made the case for war" and "a solid majority of Americans...still
thinks the President should get UN approval before taking military
action." But that very same CBS News poll discovered respondents
favored taking "military action to remove Saddam Hussein" by 69 to
26 percent. Plus, it found significant reductions from the
previous week in the percentage of people who think the U.S.
should "wait for UN approval" or "take allies' views into
account," and hikes in the percentage who want the U.S. to take
action "without UN approval" or "do whatever it thinks is right."

7) Former Los Angeles Times Washington reporter Jane Hall, who
insisted on Saturday's Fox Newswatch that "the media are in no way
liberal," chided the Media Research Center for fueling "a very
unfortunate climate that has built up" in which "people have been
demonized for their opposition to this war." The specific case in
point: How the MRC's CyberAlert last week reported that Bill
Moyers wore a flag pin on his PBS show as he lashed out at
conservatives for "hijacking" the flag.

8) Picking up on complaints that President Bush did not take a
question at Thursday's press conference from Helen Thomas, on Fox
News Sunday Brit Hume suggested that she's "the nutty aunt in the
attic of the Washington press corps" since her questions "have not
been questions of the kind that any professional journalist would
normally ask." Hume also revealed that she gets to pose questions
at the daily briefings because "her questions are so outrageous
and so over the top, that when the person giving the briefing
wants to generate a little sympathy in the TV audience, all you've
got to do is call on Helen."

9) Matt Lauer argued on Friday's Today that "a lot of people say,
'why are you cutting taxes now when you're increasing the deficit.
Shouldn't be this a time when you're increasing taxes?'" When
CNBC's Ron Insana suggested "it would be very difficult to
increase taxes right now, given the weakness in the economy" and
"doing nothing may be better than raising taxes certainly because
the economy is so soft," Lauer came back: "At the very least not
cutting taxes."

    >>> "2003 Dishonor Awards: Roasting the Most Outrageously
Biased Liberal Reporters." CyberAlert subscribers can get tickets
for $150, $25 off the regular price, for the Thursday, March 27
event in Washington, DC. For all the info and how to buy tickets:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/notablequotables/dishonor/03/info.asp
    Cal Thomas will serve as Master of Ceremonies with Sean
Hannity, Ann Coulter and Laura Ingraham amongst those helping to
present awards.
    Rush Limbaugh was one of the judges who picked the winners,
along with Lawrence Kudlow, Steve Forbes, Lucianne Goldberg,
Michael Reagan and Kate O'Beirne.
    Plus, the Charlie Daniels Band will sing some songs. The award
titles:
Ozzy Osbourne Award (for the Wackiest Comment of the Year)
I Hate You Conservatives Award
Ashamed of the Red, White, and Blue Award
And They Called It Puppy Love Award
The I'm Not a Geopolitical Genius But I Play One on TV Award
    Come to the dinner to watch the winning quotes, see who wins
and learn which conservatives will accept each award in jest. It
will be a lot of media bashing fun. <<<

    > 1) ABC's Peter Jennings pounded away at Secretary of State
Colin Powell from the left in an interview aired on Friday's World
News Tonight, pressing him repeatedly about giving the inspectors
more time. Jennings declared: "So many people don't understand why
you shouldn't let the inspections continue if they are
accomplishing anything?"

    Jennings also argued: "Most people think they're doing a
reasonably effective job at the moment."

    And Jennings countered Powell: "But if you have more assets
available to you than the inspectors, why don't you tell the
inspectors what's going on so that they can catch the Iraqis in
the process?"

    Jennings assumed the administration keeps raising the bar
unfairly: "Mr. Secretary, many people think that your dismissal
again today of the inspection process is because your
administration keeps moving the goal post, that it is not just
about disarming Saddam Hussein. It is, as the President says,
about getting rid of Saddam Hussein. So the Security Council is
left in the position of either agreeing with you completely or
else."

    Only after all of that did Jennings forward a point made by
conservatives: "Do you in retrospect think it was a mistake to
support the inspections? I think it was Vice President Cheney who
said in August that these renewed inspections were a trap."

    > 2) From behind enemy lines in Baghdad, as if Iraqi public
opinion is informed or is accurately expressed to a camera, on
Friday's NBC Nightly News Ron Allen relayed how "many Iraqis
believe whatever they do, the United States will find a reason for
war." At a Baghdad café Allen highlighted a man who charged:
"America is a terrorist country."

    Allen began his March 7 story from Baghdad, as taken down by
MRC analyst Brad Wilmouth: "Tonight Iraq's leaders are calling the
inspectors' report objective proof this country is disarming. And
America's ultimatum is no surprise here because many Iraqis
believe whatever they do, the United States will find a reason for
war. In Baghdad today, signs many fear war is inevitable. School
children taking lessons about what to do if America attacks.
People digging trenches for protection as Saddam Hussein has
suggested. And another embassy, Japan, sending most staff home.
Tonight, word of America's new deadline and threat of war fazed no
one at this Baghdad café. 'America is a terrorist country,' he
says. This Iraqi lawmaker says America is only interested in
removing Saddam from power."
    Mohammed Adhami, Iraqi Parliament Member: "They want actually
to exaggerate the small issues in order to help their goal in
going to war."
    Allen: "In New York at the UN, Iraq's ambassador praised the
anti-war demonstrators who've marched in the U.S. and Great
Britain. He promised even more cooperation with the inspectors,
and he pleaded with the Security Council not to support the U.S.
'The council should not let a new crime be committed in its name,'
he says, 'a crime worse than any of the last century.' And today
UN aid workers say they're racing against time to help Iraq's
weakest and most vulnerable people. They're stepping up food
distributions, preparing emergency water supplies, and immunizing
more children in case of a potentially devastating war."

    > 3) ABC's Diane Sawyer and Dan Harris marveled Friday morning
over the "love" Iraqis have for Saddam Hussein. Sawyer brought up
how Hussein says "the love that the Iraqis have for him is so much
greater than anything Americans feel for their President because
he's been loved for 35 years, he says, the whole 35 years" as
President. From Baghdad, Dan Harris related Hussein's claim that
he is "restoring Iraq to its greatness, its historical greatness.
He points out frequently that he was elected with a hundred
percent margin recently."

    MRC analyst Jessica Anderson caught this exchange on the March
7 Good Morning America after Harris's story on Saddam's televised
meetings with his military leaders:

    Sawyer: "Well Dan, it's very hard to look at those and think
of his meetings as a laugh riot exactly over in Baghdad, but I
read this morning that he's also said the love that the Iraqis
have for him is so much greater than anything Americans feel for
their President because he's been loved for 35 years, he says, the
whole 35 years."
    Harris: "He is one to point out quite frequently that he is
part of a historical trend in this country of restoring Iraq to
its greatness, its historical greatness. He points out frequently
that he was elected with a hundred percent margin recently."
    Sawyer: "Alright, our thanks to Dan Harris for monitoring
Saddam, the TV Saddam."

    Could they be any more sycophantic?

    > 4) Not the answer she wanted. On Friday's Good Morning
America, Diane Sawyer asked the mother of a 9-11 victim if she
worries that war with Iraq "will distract from a concerted,
concentrated approach to the war on terror with Osama bin Laden
and al-Qaeda?" The woman replied: "I think that President Bush's
focus on Iraq is consistent with his focus on the war on terror."

    MRC analyst Jessica Anderson noticed the exchange on the March
7 show between Sawyer and Alice Hoglan, a mother of one of the
passengers on Flight 93, te plane which crashed in Pennsylvania:

    Sawyer asked: "And as you hear about the prospect of war with
Iraq, do you worry that it will distract from a concerted,
concentrated approach to the war on terror with Osama bin Laden
and al-Qaeda?"
    Hoglan disagreed: "I think that President Bush's focus on Iraq
is consistent with his focus on the war on terror....His actions
are consistent. Iraq harbors criminals, harbors terrorists and
represents a threat in its own right. I support President Bush and
the others, Senator McCain and the others who have spoken out in
favor of removing this despot from power."

    > 5) NPR's Nina Totenberg dismissed as "our own
disinformation, it just doesn't seem to be worth the time and
effort," the story that the Saddam Hussein regime is obtaining
U.S. military uniforms so his operatives can wear them while
committing atrocities against Iraqi civilians. Totenberg insisted
on Inside Washington over the weekend that it's must more likely
Iraq just wants to "confuse us" than they would kill their own
people.

    Saddam Hussein hasn't shown any reluctance in the past to kill
his own people.

    After Newsweek Assistant Managing Editor Evan Thomas raised
the uniform buying report, Totenberg retorted:
    "I'm afraid that I have now reached the point where this story
about the dressing in American combat uniforms, I'm not even sure
it's not our own disinformation. It just doesn't seem to be worth
the time and effort."
    Thomas: "Whoa. Whoa, whoa."
    Moderator Gordon Peterson noted: "Germans did it during the
Battle of the Bulge."
    Totenberg: "They might, they might not."
    Thomas: "We have a reporter in Baghdad who watched them
marching in a parade wearing U.S. uniforms."
    Totenberg: "But the question is whether they would be killing
their own people!"
    Thomas: "Why else are they wearing-"
    Totenberg: "To confuse us. That's much more likely."

    More like Totenberg is confused.

    > 6) CBS skipped over the inconvenient numbers in its own
poll. Bill Plante maintained on Thursday's CBS Evening News that
"the nation remains almost equally divided on whether the
administration has made the case for war" and "a solid majority of
Americans...still thinks the President should get UN approval
before taking military action."

    But that very same CBS News poll, in results Plante didn't
tell viewers about, discovered respondents favored taking
"military action to remove Saddam Hussein" by 69 to 26 percent.
Plus, it found significant reductions from the previous week in
the percentage of people who think the U.S. should "wait for UN
approval" or "take allies' views into account," and hikes in the
percentage who want the U.S. to take action "without UN approval"
or "do whatever it thinks is right."

    Plante reported on the March 6 CBS Evening News: "The
administration is almost having as much trouble with public
opinion at home according to the latest CBS News poll. The nation
remains almost equally divided on whether the administration has
made the case for war and is also split on whether Iraq poses an
immediate threat or can be contained. A solid majority of
Americans in our latest survey still thinks the President should
get UN approval before taking military action."

    On screen viewers saw:
"Has the Bush administration made the case for war?"
Yes: 47%
No: 44%"

    And: "Iraqi threat:
Military action now: 45%
Can be contained 43%"

    But a check of results of the poll "conducted among a
nationwide random sample of 723 adults, interviewed by telephone
March 4-5, 2003," as listed on the CBS News Web site, yielded a
less clear picture of public disagreement with the Bush policy, or
at least a public rapidly moving in Bush's direction:

    -- "Should U.S. Wait for United Nations Approval?"
Yes, wait:
Now: 59%
Last week: 64%

No, take action without U.N. approval:
Now: 36%
Last week: 31%

    -- "When it Comes to Iraq Action, the U.S. Should...
"Take allies' views into account:
Now: 56%
Last week: 70%

"Do whatever it thinks is right:
Now: 38%
Last week: 27%

    -- "Military Action to Remove Saddam?"
Approve: 69%
Disapprove: 26%

     For the poll findings:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/03/06/opinion/polls/main543034.shtml

    > 7) Former Los Angeles Times Washington reporter Jane Hall,
who insisted on Saturday's Fox Newswatch that "the media are in no
way liberal," chided the Media Research Center for fueling "a very
unfortunate climate that has built up" in which "people have been
demonized for their opposition to this war." The specific case in
point: How the MRC's CyberAlert last week reported that Bill
Moyers wore a flag lapel pin on his sweater during his PBS show on
February 28 as he lashed out at conservatives for "hijacking" the
flag.

    Fox Newswatch host Eric Burns brought up the Moyers flag lapel
pin and noted how Moyers complained that he wore it to protest how
the flag has been "hijacked by the super patriots."

    Hall, who now teaches journalism classes at American
University, bemoaned: "I think it's been a very unfortunate
climate that has been built up. Organizations take down anything,
I mean, we know about this because the Media Research Center, I
think, largely, has been putting out, you know, what Bill Moyers
said-"
    Burns: "That's a conservative media watchdog."
    Hall: "A conservative media watch group. A lot of people have
been demonized for their opposition to this war. I mean patriotism
means you love your country. And you can love your country and
question it."

    Hey, Moyers wore it and said it. We just reported it and never
questioned his patriotism. Talk about blaming the messenger.

    The March 3 CyberAlert recounted how Moyers sported a flag
lapel pin on Friday night's (February 28) Now on PBS, not to
proclaim his patriotism and/or pride in the U.S., but to "take"
the flag "back" which has been "hijacked and turned into a logo --
the trademark of a monopoly on patriotism." Citing how President
Bush and Vice President Cheney wear flag lapel pins, Moyers was
reminded of communism: "When I see flags sprouting on official
lapels, I think of the time in China when I saw Mao's little Red
Book on every official's desk, omnipresent and unread."

    To see a picture of Moyers with his flag pin:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20030303.asp#1

    Later on Newswatch, after everyone had a good laugh about how
Eric Alterman, in his book What Liberal Media?, got the name of
Fox Newswatch wrong, Hall agreed with his premise that there is no
liberal media bias: "The evidence in my opinion is just the
opposite. The media are no way liberal, especially today with this
administration."

    > 8) Picking up on complaints that President Bush did not take
a question at Thursday's press conference from Hearst Newspapers
columnist Helen Thomas, on Fox News Sunday Brit Hume suggested
that she's "the nutty aunt in the attic of the Washington press
corps" since her questions "have not been questions of the kind
that any professional journalist would normally ask. Mostly they
are argumentative, she makes statements."

    Hume also revealed why she does get to pose questions at the
daily briefings: "Privately, they will tell you, that her
questions are so outrageous and so over the top, that when the
person giving the briefing wants to generate a little sympathy in
the TV audience, all you've got to do is call on Helen."

    During the roundtable portion of the March 9 program, Hume
explained: "I sat next to Helen Thomas when I was covering the
White House for eight years. She'd been there for a lot longer
than that and she still shows up. And she deserves a certain
amount of our admiration for sheer indefatigability and
dedication.
    "But she is, to some extent, the nutty aunt in the attic of
the Washington press corps and has been for years. And all of us
have been kind of overlooking her because we're personally fond of
her, as I rather am. But let's face it, the questions that she has
been asking at White House briefings and press conferences, for
decades, have not been questions of the kind that any professional
journalist would normally ask. Mostly they are argumentative, she
makes statements, she gives speeches. She does things that
journalists trying to behave with some neutrality simply do not do
and she's gotten away with it lo these many years principally
because she had been there all this time and she became sort of an
institution. She is not now a working daily reporter, she's a
columnist and opinion dispenser and she has been moved out of the
front row of the press conferences.
    "She retains, however, her front row seat in the White House
briefing room. And why is that? Privately, they will tell you,
that her questions are so outrageous and so over the top, that
when the person giving the briefing wants to generate a little
sympathy in the TV audience, all you've got to do is call on
Helen."

    Some examples of the most extreme abuses of her position from
just this year as recounted in previous CyberAlerts:

    -- Another left-wing harangue from Hearst Newspapers columnist
Helen Thomas at the White House press briefing. On Monday (January
6), Thomas demanded to know why Bush wants "to drop bombs on
innocent Iraqis?" She whined about how the Iraqis are "not
attacking" the U.S. and wondered if this is "your revenge? Eleven
years of revenge?" She also sputtered about how "many countries
don't have, people don't have the decision" on U.S. policy, adding
in disgust: "Including us." See:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20030107.asp#3

    -- More left-wing looniness from Helen Thomas, this one during
Friday's (January 24) White House press briefing. She demanded of
Press Secretary Ari Fleischer: "Who in this country, besides the
President and his courtiers, want to go to war with Iraq?" She
followed up by equating U.S. possession of "weapons of mass
destruction" with Iraq's possession of them: "We have weapons of
mass destruction. Eight other countries have them." See:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20030127.asp#3

    -- Another day of wackiness from Helen Thomas at the White
House press briefing as she berated Ari Fleischer about how
President Bush is going to war in order to gain control of Iraq's
oil. She demanded: "Can you categorically deny that the United
States will take over the oil fields when we win this war?"
Although she was unable to cite a source, Thomas insisted: "There
are reports that we've divided up the oil already, divvied it up
with the Russians and French and so forth." ABC's Terry Moran
pursued her theory, what he dubbed "Helen's very interesting line
of questioning." See:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20030207.asp#4

    -- The day before a presidential press conference, Hearst's
Helen Thomas demanded of White House Press Secretary Ari
Fleischer: "Since we have no direct access to the President, would
you state for the record, for the historical record, why he wants
to bomb Iraqi people?" When Fleischer suggested Bush wants to
eliminate the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction,
Thomas fired back: "There is no imminent threat!" See:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20030306.asp#5

    -- Plus: President Bush "is the worst President in all of
American history," Hearst Newspapers White House reporter Helen
Thomas proclaimed at a Society of Professional Journalists awards
event in California nearly two weeks ago. See:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20030129.asp#8

    Calling her a "nutty aunt" is being generous.

    > 9) Matt Lauer argued on Friday's Today that "a lot of people
say, 'why are you cutting taxes now when you're increasing the
deficit. Shouldn't be this a time when you're increasing taxes?'"
When CNBC's Ron Insana suggested "it would be very difficult to
increase taxes right now, given the weakness in the economy" and
"doing nothing may be better than raising taxes certainly because
the economy is so soft," Lauer came back: "At the very least not
cutting taxes."

    MRC analyst Ken Shepherd caught the claim during an interview
with Insana on the March 7 Today. And Ken reports that Lauer said
"shouldn't be this" instead of "shouldn't this be."

    Lauer wondered: "How troubling is it to investors and
economists that the President and the administration is unwilling
to attach a specific cost to this war and the rebuilding effort in
Iraq?"
    Insana: "I think that's less of an issue right now. If the
bond market, which is most sensitive to deficits and potential
problems stemming from it were worried, interest rates would be
going up. Instead, right now, interest rates are coming down
because the economy appears to be weakening again."
    Lauer: "However, that cost is adding to the potential deficit.
Some $50-100 billion. Doesn't that have something to do with the
President's ability to get his tax cut passed? A lot of people
say, 'why are you cutting taxes now when you're increasing the
deficit. Shouldn't be this a time when you're increasing taxes?'"
    Insana: "Well, it would be very difficult to increase taxes
right now, given the weakness in the economy. I mean, doing
nothing may be better than raising taxes certainly because the
economy is so soft."
    Lauer: "At the very least not cutting taxes."
    Insana: "Possibly. Now, the economy does need some stimulus.
Mr. Greenspan would disagree. But whether it's lower interest
rates, which may be coming in the near future, or some sign of
relief on the fiscal side of the ledger, if you will, the economy
appears to be softening again, and possibly in need of more help."

    > Jessica Lange is scheduled to appear tonight, Monday, on
CBS's Late Show with David Letterman. You should see a lot of her
this week as she promotes a new HBO movie set to debut this
weekend in which she stars as the wife of a man who decides to
become a woman. This morning she showed up at an anti-war protest
in front of the UN.

-- Brent Baker

    >>> Support the MRC, an educational foundation dependent upon
contributions which make CyberAlert possible, by providing a tax-
deductible donation. Be sure to fill in "CyberAlert" in the field
which asks: "What led you to become a member or donate today?" For
the secure donations page:
https://secure.mediaresearch.org/Donation/Order/MediaResearch25-27/mck-cgi/mrcdonate.asp

    To subscribe to CyberAlert, send a blank e-mail to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

    To unsubscribe, use the link at the very bottom of this
message.

    Send problems and comments to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    You can learn what has been posted each day on the MRC's Web
site by subscribing to the "MRC Web Site News" distributed every
weekday afternoon. To subscribe, go to:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cybersub.asp#webnews <<<

Delivered by Topica Email Publisher, http://topica.email-publisher.com/

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/