-Caveat Lector-

3/10/2003 8:39:09 PM, klewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>IMO, your stated objections to this program are based on unimportant
externalities:
>where the course is being held; what that the particular city smells like;
the fact that
>it's called an internship.

And I respect your opinion.  However, I will admit that most of what I am
working on is impressions.  As I pointed out, I changed my university
programs because I wasn't sure I was getting the correct impressions about
what I was learning.  (Subsequent travels to Europe confirmed my
suspicions.)  I am well aware of the fact that I am not located in the midst
of that about which I am drawing some inferences.

Yet, we don't normally draw conclusions about subjects because we have
complete and intimate knowledge of the events, personalities, and
conditions of a certain body of knowledge or experience.  What I am
looking at is more along the lines of identifying the same kinds of things
over time, a sort of trend analysis sampling sort of thing.  Obviously, I've
been to LA and have been in the area long enough and enough times to
know what contributes to the 91-octane mornings and my impressions of
them.  Traffic and heat and inversion layers and smog alerts and how it
creeps up over the mountains ... that sort of thing.

The news tells us about "some interns" and I'm well aware that this
represents a small percentage of the number who are/have been there
and further represents a small percentage of what good or bad things get
reported.  That doesn't -- going back to my original comment -- distract
from the fact that DC has quite a criminal problem, aside from the
government activities.  AnyTown, USA, doesn't work here.  Maybe
AnyBigCity will.

And we have all learned from being in good places as well as bad.  But
when the location and the faculty is concentrating on one location that is
supposed to represent all locations, therein lies my problem.  We don't
even know what the intern selection criteria is.  We (they?) don't know
who they are going to see and where they're going to go.  Yet, if they are
taken from places with the intention of taking them to a place that is the
shining city upon the hill and they find that DC is not much different than
where they came from, what's the point?  Could they not have gained
something similarly representative from their own -- representative -- state
capital?  In either case, they could have a guided (complete with blinders)
tour anywhere.  But sometimes the "blind" can even know more than the
supposed "sighted".

Again, I am focussing on impressions (and a little research and some inside
knowledge).  I don't pretend to know all the ins and out, whos and whats,
whys and wherefors, ifs, ands, or buts.  But sometimes it makes more sense
to not be overwhelmed by too many details in order to see what the
overall impression is.  I tend to be unlike the Pointilists who made their
'impressions' by memorising and categorising every dot of paint, they who
were often too blind to even appreciate the work from a distance when it
was completed.  So, what they "saw", they could not even "see".

A<:>E<:>R

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>