-Caveat Lector-

Liberty Action of the Week for March 18th, 2003
Spreading the non-interventionist meme
by Mary Lou Seymour

In last week's column, "We don't want your war of aggression, Mr.
Bush," we talked about various anti-war activities we could
participate it, to join not only in the last ditch effort to stop
Bush's current war of Aggression, but to put an end to our country's
slide into imperialism.

As we all know, in order to do this larger goal, we must change the
culture in our society to one that values freedom without aggression,
that teaches that non-aggression is not the same as being weak, that
values non-intervention over imperialism.

This week, let's buckle down for the long haul, and explore materials
to help us spread the meme of non-interventionism in our society
until it is once more as pervasive as it was in the past, when
Americans believed along with President John Quincy Adams, "The
United States goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She
is a well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the
champion and vindicator only of her own. If the United States took up
all foreign affairs, it would become entangled in all the wars of
interest and intrigue, which assume the colors and usurp the standard
of freedom. She might become the dictatress of the world. She would
be no longer the ruler of her own soul."

For a history of the anti-imperialist movement in the US from 1898-
1935 see The Anti-Imperalist League; and for info on the widespread
opposition to Roosevelt's obvious attempts to embroil the United
States in the European war that broke out in 1939 see Sheldon
Richman's article on The America First Committee.

A new site devoted to building an effective peace movement through
education on non-intervention and ending the U.S. role as "world
policeman" is Non-Intervention. Net.

NonInterventionist.Com is another new site supporting the original
American ideal of a non interventionist foreign policy, with links to
popular and scholarly articles on the subject and 2 PDF flyers "Non
Interventionism is Pro-American!" and "Gulf War Fact Sheet."

More leaflets to help you tell neo-conservatives to STOP THEIR
WARMONGERING can be found at NeoCons Bad.

I got a lot of e-mail from last week's column. The most poignant
mentioned that although they were "with me," they were scared to say
anything to their friends, family and neighbors or publicly support
the anti-war movement. One fine lady with whom I've corresponded for
years said "I have backed off supporting much of anything for fear of
being called a Terrorist backer." And I understand how she feels.
After all, we're living in dangerous times, where citizens are hauled
in for questioning for saying something "inappropriate" in a Net chat
room on a public access terminal.

But if we let fear still our voices, the forces of totalitarianism
abroad in the land will have already won.

Nonetheless, the old saying "Discretion is the better part of valour"
may well be appropriate for those of us like my friend quoted above.
If you don't feel "safe" putting your name to a letter to the editor,
or putting your name on a petition, marching in a protest, or even
flicking your porch lights on and off at 8 PM each night, there are
still anonymous actions you can take, to help spread the non-
intervention meme.

You can seed your community with the message of non internentionism,
using the Simon Jester model. (Simon says "No war, no empire," for
example.) You can surreptitiously post some of Kent von Cleave's fine
posters designed to resemble Nazi propaganda posters of the 1930s and
1940s and American WWII propaganda posters "to use the themes of the
past to avoid errors in the present" or Scott Bieser's or Jack
Russmo's cartoons.

Download and print up a selection of these, and keep a stash
of "inflammatory toons & posters" in your purse, backpack or hip
pocket, for a bit of free wheeling grass roots anonymous activism.
Kind of like graffiti-ing, but without vandalism. Everywhere you go,
there are spots just begging for a poster/toon/Simon Jester card. (As
you become more accustomed to this, you'll find that you will
automatically "scan" any new public area you enter, for a "good
spot.")

There are those, of course, there always are, that remain in
their "safe places" during the dangerous times in history, and close
their eyes and ears to what they know in their heart is the right
course of action. I doubt there are many like that on this list, but
if so, by subscribing to the column you've taken the first step. If
you've just been reading the columns and thinking that well, maybe
next week I'll do something, I urge you to make this the time, this
the week. Even if you must act anonymously, at least YOU will know
you have taken action. Don't look back next month or next year and
wonder what may have turned out differently if only you had "done
something."

Til next week
For Freedom!

Mary Lou

PS: I'd like to thank those of you who have sent in donations to keep
LAotW on the web. I've always dropped a buck or two in the hat at
meatspace meetings for causes I believed in, when they passed the
hat, even when I didn't have enough left to do anything much beyond
paying the rent. (Heck, I can always do without that pack of smokes.)
I have a funny feeling that those who HAVE given $$ to LAotW so far
may be in that same boat. And believe me, I appreciate it. Without
the nickles and dimes in the collection plate, without the widow's
mite, no movement can succeed. I always felt that if the causes I
believed in didn't succeed, at least it wouldn't be because of
something I did or didn't do. I bet a lot of you feel the same way.
Heck, I'm counting on it! So, here I am again, passing the "virtual
hat," no donation is too small (or too large:-). You can donate by
PayPal via the link in the footer, or E-Gold (my account is 104799),
or, if you'd like to donate by check or FRNs (or loose change), email
me for my snail address.

PPS: As always, go to the web page for this column for NEW alternate
actions for this week, and, visit our "Take Action" forum at Liberty
Forums for even more ideas or to discuss this column.

==============

'We don't want your war of aggression, Mr. Bush,"
http://www.rationalreview.com/archive/mls/mls031803.html

Anti-Imperialist League
http://www.boondocksnet.com/ai/ail/airoots.html

America First Committee (1930's)
http://www.fff.org/freedom/0495c.asp

Non-Intervention. Net
http://www.non-intervention.net

NonInterventionist.Com
http://www.NonInterventionist.Com

Neo Cons Bad Leaflets
http://geocities.com/neoconsbad

Arrest Me
http://truthout.org/docs_03/030503A.shtml

Simon Jester
http://www.simonjester.org/

Kent van Cleave's posters
http://www.kiva.net/~kvc/HomSec/tools.htm

Scott Bieser's Toons
http://www.libertyartworx.com/

Russmo's Toons
http://www.russmo.com/

This week's Liberty Action of the Week on the Web
http://www.rationalreview.com/archive/mls/mls031803.html

Liberty Action of the Week Forum
http://www.libertyforum.org/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=action

Liberty Action of the Week is edited by Mary Lou Seymour.
Visit us on the web at
http://rationalreview.com

LAotW is supported by your donations. To donate by credit card or PayPal,
click on
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=libertymls%40keepandbeararms.com&item
_name=Action+of+the+Week&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD

Please feel free to forward to your friends, as long as this footer remains
intact.

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>