-Caveat Lector-

Long Beach Press Telegram
http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204%7E21474%
7E1251515,00.html

Region braces for red alert, war
Plans: Agencies anticipate possible terror; ports, other facilities to be
guarded.
By Bill Hillburg
>From our Washington Bureau

Monday, March 17, 2003 - WASHINGTON Should war with Iraq erupt,
Southern Californians could find
themselves living in a world of restricted travel, constrained trade, closed
schools and public buildings, canceled events and hypersecurity.

With growing fears of domestic terrorist acts linked to military action
against Saddam Hussein, state and federal officials are bracing for a
possible worst-case scenar io.

"It certainly would be incumbent upon us to take into consideration
military involvement as we determined the level of protection we needed
for homeland security. We'd be foolish if we didn't,' said Homeland Defense
Secretary Tom Ridge.

The nation Monday moved to condition orange (a high threat of terrorist
attack) shortly after President Bush gave Saddam Hussein 48 hours to leave
Iraq or face U.S. military action. A move to condition red (severe risk of
attack) is not being ruled out.

Under a condition red, the department's responses would include
"monitoring, redirecting or constraining transportation systems and closing
public and government facilities,' as well as deploying emergency response
teams.

If the nation goes on a war footing, the task of warning thousands of local
responders, city officials and school administrators would start with the
California Highway Patrol.

"We've got quite an extensive communications tree worked out,' said CHP
Commissioner Spike Helmick. "We are linked to every local law enforcement
in the state and can notify them all on our hotlines within five minutes.
They in turn will notify local city leaders, fire and emergency personnel
and school districts.'

Helmick said that getting the word out across Southern California would be
no small feat. The region has more than 200 cities, 167 school districts, 76
fire and paramedic departments and 116 police agencies. He noted that it
is critical to have one source issuing alerts, given the fact that many local
police and fire units still lack the equipment needed to communicate with
one another.

Critical installations

Helmick said that, if a condition red alert is called, his CHP forces will go
on 12-hour shifts, deploy at state buildings, bridges and aqueducts and
other critical installations and put all 30 of their patrol planes into the air.

"Since 9/11 we've improved all of our plans, training and coordination,'
added Helmick. "There's also more of a willingness to pull the trigger and
take all the needed precautions if the situation calls for it.'

Key decisions, including whether to close schools and other public
buildings, cancel a Lakers game at the Staples Center or shut down the
state's airports, would lie with Gov. Gray Davis. The level of danger and
areas of the state most likely to be hit would be determined by Davis and
members of the State Threat Advisory Committee.

L.B. security

Whether it's manning the phones to calm residents or patrolling the
streets, Long Beach police will be "in a state of readiness' in case war
breaks, said Commander Robert Luna.

Plainclothes officers and detectives will be required to have their uniforms
with them.

"We anticipate how residents are going to react to the news, if they are
experiencing high levels of anxiety,' Luna said. "We expect bigger antiwar
demonstrations.'

At the highest stage of alert, officers will work 12-hour shifts and patrol
critical facility locations, which Luna declined to disclose. The state
attorney general's office recently identified the Port of Long Beach and
the Queen Mary to be among the 624 places terrorists could hit.

"I know we're just about ready for anything that happens,' Luna said.

Mike Fleming, spokesman for the Customs Service office that serves the
ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles and Los Angeles International Airport,
declined to discuss specific antiterrorism measures, but said "we always
have contingency plans in place.'

Cargo inspections

He noted that, during the recent condition orange alert, Customs
inspectors increased their scrutiny of cargo. "We ramp up or ratchet up as
necessary,' he said.

Customs on March 1 became part of the new Department of Homeland
Security, as did the Border Patrol and the Transportation Security
Administration that screens airport passengers and baggage. In a condition
red, personnel from all three units would step up their inspections, which
could lead to delays at ports, airports and border crossings.

Many local first responders have been on antiterrorism duty only since
9/11. Local police and fire chiefs have been waiting nearly as long for
federal money to pay for training and equipment and to offset the cost of
overtime and other expenses.

The Department of Homeland Security released the first $566million in local
first responder funding on March 7. California's $45 million share includes
$31.6 million for equipment, $7.9 million for practice exercises, $2.4 million
for training and $3.1 million for planning. It includes no money to offset
expenses already incurred.

Los Angeles Mayor James Hahn recently estimated that his city had spent
$70million on antiterrorism efforts since 9/11. Long Beach's tab stands at $3
million.

Hahn, Long Beach Mayor Beverly O'Neill and other leaders had repeatedly
urged President Bush and Ridge to send aid money directly to cities and
counties in the form of block grants. Instead it was sent to the states.

And Media News Group, owner of the Press-Telegram, has taken the
measurements of its 10 Washington bureau reporters, who are based two
blocks from the White House, for custom-fitted biohazard suits.

, Staff writer Karen Robes contributed to this report.
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sutra

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>