-Caveat Lector-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,922066,00.html
Iraqi exiles put patriotism first as they return home to fight invaders

Jonathan Steele in Saida Zeinab, Syria
Wednesday March 26, 2003
The Guardian

Young Iraqi exiles are rushing home to defend their country in growing
numbers, even though many strongly oppose Saddam Hussein's regime.

A fatwa issued by the highest religious leaders of Shia Islam, calling on
Iraqis to "fight the aggressors and stand against the invasion", will
accelerate an already strong trend for young Iraqi exiles to go home to
defend their country.

Nowhere is this more visible than in the warren of narrow streets in Saida
Zeinab, a heavily Iraqi Shia neighbourhood of the Syrian capital.

"I'm against Saddam but I'm not for America," said a young man yesterday
behind a shop counter full of music CDs and cassette tapes of speeches
and lectures by Shia scholars.

Until two months ago Abdullah, 25, (who did not want to give his real
name) was a student of engineering from Kerbala, a town south of Baghdad
which contains one of Shia Islam's holiest mosques.

The tapes he can sell openly in Syria are banned in Iraq, where Abdullah
passed them out clandestinely to friends until he felt the risk of being
jailed was getting too great.

Now he is planning to go home. The patriotic drive to defend his country
has overcome his hatred of Saddam's regime, he said, though there are
other factors too - peer group pressure and anxiety about his parents'
well- being.

"Many of my friends have gone back already in the last few days," he said.
"Even if I just dig a trench by our house and sit in it with a gun, I might kill
one of the invaders. They're coming down in parachutes so you might hit
one."

Round the corner Mohammed Ali Musa, 23, serves tea in a small room
dominated by a television set on a high shelf. The customers, mainly
middle-aged men, sit in gloomy silence as al-Jazeera beams the latest news
of the war. The normal morning chatter has been replaced by pensive
sipping and the rattle of worry beads.

"I'm planning to go back in three days' time," says Mohammed, another Iraqi
Shia who left his wife and parents in Nassiriya two months ago in the hope
of earning a better wage in Syria.

"I want to cut the Americans' throats and throw them to the dogs," he
adds. "If I'd known it would have been like this, I would never have left
Iraq. I just pray to God I can go back and make a contribution."

In spite of the young men's eagerness to go home, there is an obstacle. A
US missile struck a bus carrying 37 Syrian workers coming home from Iraq
on Sunday, killing five and wounding 10. Now few drivers want to take the
risk of travelling the route.

Close to a hundred thousand marchers brought central Damascus to a
standstill yesterday as the anti-war sentiment in the nation grew.

Young Iraqi men in Jordan, which like Syria hosts several hundred thousand
exiles, have also been flooding back home since the war started.

Jordanian records show that 5,284 Iraqis have crossed the desert border
overland into Iraq since March 16. Iraq's consular office in Amman issued at
least 3,000 temporary passports for exiled Iraqis in the war's first three
days.

The level of resistance from Shia Muslims in particular has been one of the
biggest shocks for US and British forces. They predominate in southern
Iraq and have a long history of being repressed by Saddam Hussein's
regime. They were expected to be natural allies.

"People remember the coalition's position at the end of the first Gulf war
in 1991 when they left the field and gave a green light to Saddam to
destroy our uprising. They still don't trust the Americans," said Bayan
Jabor, of the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq, one of
the opposition groups with which the United States deals.

While middle-aged Iraqi opposition politicians comfort themselves with an
image of a cautiously neutral population, the mood of the younger
generation gives a different signal.

What moves them is not the past but today's graphic news bulletins of
bombs and invaders in foreign colours. Thousands are taking sides. They
are opting for patriotism, however much they hate Saddam .

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2003
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sutra

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>