-Caveat Lector-

THE WASHINGTON POST
By Carol Morello
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, March 27, 2003; Page A32

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia, March 26 -- The young sons of Selwa Hazzaa
consider it a mark of shame that they were born in the United States, a
country whose military they now see nightly on television waging battle
in neighboring Iraq.

"Yuck!" says the 11-year-old at every mention of America. The 12-year-old
expresses even more contempt.

"I hate the States," he told his mother, who spent most of her childhood in
the United States. "I wish I weren't from there. I don't want to go to
college
there."

Hazzaa has told them it is fine to hate President Bush, but not everything
American. Still, she returned home one day to find her older son throwing
his favorite U.S.-made snack food into the trash bin.

"I am so afraid that I am breeding a future terrorist," said Hazzaa, a
prominent
eye surgeon in Riyadh. "Now I can control him, but what about 10 years from
now?"

Throughout the Arab world, a new generation of young people is growing up
and coming of age at a time of rampant anti-American sentiment. The
mounting anger at the U.S.-led war against Iraq is particularly striking in
Saudi Arabia, where until a few years ago U.S. ideals and products were
widely admired.

Much of the Saudi upper and professional class was educated in the United
States, including many of the government technocrats, and many Saudis
maintain warm friendships they forged abroad. But some of these families
are now deciding not to send their children to study in the United States.

Tofoul Marzouki, 21, had planned to pursue a master's degree in the United
States. Now she is looking at schools in Canada. "I have nothing against
the people; it's the government," said Marzouki, who ordered a Domino's
pizza the other night that her cousin refused to touch because it was made
by a U.S. company. "Visiting America or going there to study is out of the
question. I'm so angry at the government, I wouldn't feel comfortable
there."

Saudis trace the negative sentiment to the hostilities between Israelis and
Palestinians that broke out in September 2000. In markets, classrooms and
private homes, Saudis have seen endless television images of Israelis using
U.S.-supplied weaponry against Palestinians. Even children anguish over the
Palestinian cause and wonder why the United States provides guns to Israel.

The anger deepened in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the
World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Visa restrictions tightened and many
Saudi students studying in the United States returned home with tales of
Muslims being harassed and stereotyped as terrorists. Many in Saudi Arabia,
the birthplace of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden and 15 of the 19
hijackers who carried out the attacks, say Americans have tied all
Saudis -- and their religion -- to terrorism.

A critical mass of suspicion and hostility coalesced when the U.S. campaign
against Iraq culminated in an invasion.

Today, it is all but impossible to find anyone here who does not oppose the
war in Iraq. In an Arab American Institute opinion poll conducted in early
March by Zogby International, 97 percent of Saudis questioned said they had
an unfavorable opinion of the United States, up from 87 percent a year ago.

"I think that underestimates it," said Awardh Badhi, a political scientist
with the King Faisal Center for Research and Islamic Studies. "It is more
like 98 or 99 percent. The anger is boiling, to what end we do not know
because it is all underground."

Many middle-aged, educated Saudis say they are worried about the
implications of the mutual alienation. Despite policy and cultural
differences, Saudi-U.S. relations have been fortified over the years by a
Saudi upper class that studied in the United States and appreciates its
freedoms. Many young people say they have become politicized at a far
earlier age than their parents, and their first political memories are of
an America that throws its weight around at the expense of Arab interests.

"It tells you how the future feels," said Thurayaa Arrayed, a consultant
with the Arabian-American Oil Co. (Aramco), who studied in the United
States and sent three of her four children to study at Ivy League colleges.
"It's fine for people like us who grew up seeing Americans as friends,
allies, people you look up to and a system that seems ideal. It feels now
like it's all gone down the drain."

On the surface, Saudi Arabia has been quiet while the rest of the Arab
world has taken its anger to the streets. All public demonstrations here
are prohibited. Privately, however, Saudis are intently focused on the
war's progress. So many Saudis are glued to their television sets that
merchants report business is suffering.

Saudis are signaling their displeasure discreetly. Mobile phones ring with
text messages of crude jokes about President Bush and prayers for God to
destroy the U.S. military. People interviewed here said that at their
prayers five times a day, they are seeking divine intervention to smash the
U.S. military in Iraq.

Copies of a prayer against the United States have been handed out on street
corners over the past few days, asking God to wreak vengeance on U.S.
soldiers.

"Oh God, defeat the infidels," it reads in part. "Oh God, shake the ground
under their feet, cast fear into their hearts and split their ranks. Oh
God, send a whirlwind to destroy their planes and their ships."

"The United States is almost an antagonistic society now," said a Saudi
intellectual who studied in the Midwest and did not want to be identified.
"The American people have shown themselves unwilling to be citizens of the
world. My son is 15. He will not study in the States. The U.S. is no longer
a safe place."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>