-Caveat Lector-

A search on In Touch Ministries' founder
http://www.intouch.org/inside/about_us/biography_76833.html Dr. Charles F.
Stanley, comes up with this page:
http://store.falwell.com/store/bio.asp?cid=939

More below ...

- jt

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s819685.htm

US soldiers in Iraq asked to pray for Bush
Last Update: Sunday, March 30, 2003. 2:55am (AEST)

They may be the ones facing danger on the battlefield, but US soldiers in
Iraq are being asked to pray for President George W Bush.

Thousands of marines have been given a pamphlet called "A Christian's Duty,"
a mini prayer book which includes a tear-out section to be mailed to the
White House pledging the soldier who sends it in has been praying for Bush.

"I have committed to pray for you, your family, your staff and our troops
during this time of uncertainty and tumult. May God's peace be your guide,"
says the pledge, according to a journalist embedded with coalition forces.

The pamphlet, produced by a group called In Touch Ministries, offers a daily
prayer to be made for the US president, a born-again Christian who likes to
invoke his God in speeches.

Sunday's is "Pray that the President and his advisers will seek God and his
wisdom daily and not rely on their own understanding".

Monday's reads "Pray that the President and his advisers will be strong and
courageous to do what is right regardless of critics".
----

Falwell sent this out (below) recently - being on that email list is
interesting, definitely revealing. Falwell is also the owner of a Charles F.
Stanley book store, the link found on an earlier search, the guy who founded
the ministries who wrote and printed the pamphlets exhorting troops to pray
for the president every day and send evidence of doing this in the form of a
daily pledge back to command. I also notice that Falwell does not ask for
prayers for the innocent Iraqi people who were brutalized under Saddam (with
the tacit and sometimes outright approval of the US), and who are also
currently being killed by errant and other munitions. I'm curious if the
pamphlet effort was one of Bush's "faith-based initiatives."

I certainly don't have a problem with Christianity per se, as there are
people who practice it with a stunning humility and compassion, but
televangelists are about the scum of the earth as far as I'm concerned. Are
these the people he hooked up with when Bush got sober and found "God?" We
all knew it was some born-again thing, but is it connected to Falwell? I'm
really curious now.

- jt