To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From:                   "hrossthjof" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date sent:              Tue, 01 Apr 2003 13:56:56 -0000
Subject:                [cia-drugs] Oil industry suppressed plans for 200-mpg car

 http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-2-629399,00.html
      March 31, 2003

Oil industry suppressed plans for 200-mpg car

By Simon de Bruxelles

THE original blueprints for a device that could have revolutionised the motor car have
been discovered in the secret compartment of a tool box.

A carburettor that would allow a car to travel 200 miles on a gallon of fuel caused oil
stocks to crash when it was announced by its Canadian inventor Charles Nelson Pogue in
the 1930s.

But the carburettor was never produced and, mysteriously, Pogue went overnight from
impoverished inventor to the manager of a successful factory making oil filters for the
motor industry. Ever since, suspicion has lingered that oil companies and car
manufacturers colluded to bury Pogue's invention.

Now a retired Cornish mechanic has enlisted the help of the University of Plymouth to
rebuild Pogue's revolutionary carburettor, known as the Winnipeg, from blueprints he
found hidden beneath a sheet of plywood in the box.

The controversial plans once caused panic among oil companies and rocked the Toronto
Stock Exchange when tests carried out on the carburettor in the 1930s proved that it
worked.

Patrick Davies, 72, from St Austell, had owned the tool box for 40 years but only
recently decided to clean it out. As well as drawings of the carburettor, the envelope
contained two pages of plans, three test reports and six pages of notes written by
Pogue.

They included a report of a test that Pogue had done on his lawnmower, which showed
that
he had managed to make the engine run for seven days on a quart (just under a litre) of
petrol.

The documents also described how the machine worked by turning petrol into a vapour
before it entered the cylinder chamber, reducing the amount of fuel needed for
combustion.

Mr Davies has had the patent number on the plans authenticated, proving that they are
genuine documents.

He said: "I couldn't believe what I saw. I used to be a motor mechanic and I knew this
was something else altogether. I was given the tool box by a friend after I helped to
paint her house in 1964. Her husband had spent a lot of time in Canada."

The announcement of Pogue's invention caused enormous excitement in the American motor
industry in 1933, when he drove 200 miles on one gallon of fuel in a Ford V8. However,
the Winnipeg was never manufactured commercially and after 1936 it disappeared
altogether
amid allegations of a political cover-up.

Dr Murray Bell, of the University of Plymouth's department of mechanical and marine
engineering, said he would consider trying to build a model of the Pogue carburettor.

Engineers who have tried in the past to build a carburettor using Pogue's theories have
found the results less than satisfactory. Charles Friend, of Canada's National Research
Council, told Marketplace, a consumer affairs programme: "You can get fantastic mileage
if you're prepared to de-rate the vehicle to a point where, for example, it might take
you ten minutes to accelerate from 0 to 30 miles an hour."

News alternatives to US war propaganda:

http://www1.iraqwar.ru/?userlang=en
http://www.truthout.org/
http://www.aljazeerah.info/