Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 14:47:58 -0600
From: Charles F.Nawrocki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Recipient list suppressed>
Subject: {attack} HR 1146 by Rep. Ron Paul

    IF YOU'RE RECEIVING TOO MUCH MAIL,

Send email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

YOU CAN ALSO READ IT ON THE WEB.
This message and all others, just in case your get too happy with your delete key, are
archived at http://www.topica.com/lists/USAttacked/read

Rich Martin
Moderator

 \/   \/   \/   \/   \/   \/   \/   \/

Sent FYI.// Please write your Congressperson and ask then to help Rep. Ron
Paul.

With Carl Limbacher and NewsMax.com Staff

For the story behind the story...

                 Wednesday, April 2, 2003 10:20 p.m. EST
'U.S. out of U.N.' Movement Gains Momentum
WASHINGTON - The United Nations, which has been infringing on American
sovereignty for years while relying on America as its biggest cash cow, may
now find that America won't take it anymore.
Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, has reintroduced his legislation effectively
telling that tower of Babel on the East River, "Adios, you're out of here,
and take your Marxist goo-goos with you."
In the past, Paul has managed to get between 30 and 40 of his colleagues to
go along with his plan. This year, however, there is popular anger at the
U.N., which has bowed to America's enemies and so-called "allies" in
denying support for our action against Iraq.
"We hope to mine that discontent," a spokesman for the congressman told
NewsMax.com Washington correspondent Wes Vernon
In 2003, HR 1146, "The American Sovereignty Restoration Act," as it is
called, is gaining support in quarters that were not thought to be
sympathetic in the past.
The measure would end all U.S. participation in the U.N. and expel the
organization from its taxpayer-subsidized New York headquarters.
"Our current situation in Iraq shows we cannot allow U.S. national security
to become a matter of international consensus," Paul stated. "We don't need
U.N. permission to go to war; only Congress can declare war under our
Constitution."
The maverick congressman added: "The Constitution does not permit the
delegation of congressional duties to international bodies. The decision to
send American troops into harm's way cannot be made by international
bureaucrats."
In the past, such sentiments have been written off as "isolationist," a
term tossed around by woolly-headed internationalists who can't discuss the
substance of a given foreign policy issue. But after the U.N.'s disgraceful
handling of the Iraq threat, that doesn't fly anymore.
In a NewsMax interview last month, author Bill Kristol ("The War Over
Iraq") told Vernon that he would be open to the idea of ending America's
relationship with the world body. That was a significant statement coming
from an analyst whose family members - before the wild and crazy 1960s -
were Hubert Humphrey Democrats who were very much behind the U.N.
Rep. Paul's concerns go far beyond the U.N.'s failure to follow up on its
own resolutions on the bloodthirsty Iraqi regime. Much of his concern, in
fact, gets closer to home.
"The U.N. increasingly wants to influence our environmental, trade, labor,
tax and gun laws," he contends. "Its global planners simply aren't
interested in our Constitution and republican form of government."
"The choice," says Paul, "is very clear. We either follow the Constitution
and republican form of government or submit to global governance. American
national sovereignty cannot survive if we allow our domestic laws to be
crafted by an international body."
This isn't just another politician sounding off for the cameras. In fact,
the Texas Republican (and one-time Libertarian Party presidential
candidate) has a wealth of expert opinion on his side.
Noted constitutional scholar Herb Titus has thoroughly researched the
United Nations and its so-called "authority" and finds that the U.N.
charter is not a treaty at all. Rather, he says, it is a blueprint for
supranational government that directly violates the U.S. Constitution.
In other words, the Charter - though sacred to one-worlders for over a half
century - is neither politically nor legally binding upon the American
people or government.
Here's Congressman Paul's bottom line: "The U.N. has no authority to make
'laws' that bind American citizens, because it does not derive its power
from the consent of the American people."
Legions of U.S. combat veterans and a growing number of lawmakers now
agree: Based on experiences in Korea and Vietnam, U.S. forces should fight
under the American flag and only when called to defend America's interests
- and not under the auspices of the United Nations.
And here's another difference between the allied war with Iraq and previous
wars in Korea and Vietnam: This time, free of U.N. snoopervision, the U.S.
is fighting to win. Even the first Gulf War - widely hailed as successful -
fell short of the mark when a previous president, reluctant to exceed his
authority under a U.N. resolution, decided to leave Saddam Hussein inpower.

For political commentary columns, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Rich Martin (817) 297-7735

Wondering what you missed?
Check out the archives at:

Check out the Slick Archive