-Caveat Lector-

http://truthout.org/docs_03/040603H.shtml

     The War's Dirty Secret: It's About Changing United States, Not Iraq
     Steve Lopez
     LA Times

     Sunday 30 March 2003

     Much to her surprise, the federal government is promising to do
     everything Los Angeles Congresswoman Maxine Waters has spent years
     fighting for.

     Education for the neediest souls will be transformed, quality
     health care will be guaranteed, damaged roadways and bridges will
     be rebuilt, and millions of dollars will be spent to spur new
     business.

     Waters just never figured the beneficiaries would be residents of
     Iraq.

     A few weeks ago, when I spent several hours with her in Washington
     as the start of the war approached, Waters had begun to fear the
     worst.

     "I'm very worried about the long-term impact," she said, predicting
     that as the cost of the war grows, states, counties and cities will
     get stiffed.

     Waters wasn't talking about the weeks and months ahead, but the
     years and decades to come. The cost of the war and rebuilding Iraq,
     she said, could drastically limit what government can do.

     The effort to turn Iraq into a democracy, in other words, is making
     the U.S. less of one. Our opposition party has disappeared,
     corporate interests dictate public policy, and the feds may be
     rummaging through your e-mail.

     There's a dirty secret no one has told you, and here it is: This
     war is not about changing Iraq, it's about changing America.

     Unless you're lucky enough to be an investor in one of the
     corporations that will win multimillion-dollar contracts to rebuild
     Iraq, you may be hurting when the cost of the war and a new era of
     deficit spending put even more of a drag on the economy.

     If you don't earn enough to hit the jackpot on President Bush's
     proposed tax cuts, you're just going to have to fend for yourself.
     The whole idea is to train you to expect less and to feel patriotic
     about it.

     If things get really bad, you can always move to Iraq.

     "I think it's terribly arrogant and overly ambitious for this
     president to think he can invade that country, turn it into a
     democracy, and use American taxpayer dollars to build an
     infrastructure that still is not built in some parts of this
     nation," Waters said.

     "In addition to that, he wants to go ahead with tax breaks for the
     wealthiest people in this country."

     To clarify, Waters isn't against sending American dollars to other
     countries.

     "I believe in foreign assistance, and I think the richest nation in
     the world should certainly help our neighbors in other parts of the
     world," she said. "But I dislike the idea that we tear up Iraq
     first, bombing it to smithereens, and then we go back and put in
     the water systems, the health-care facilities and the other things
     we've torn up."

     Last week, Waters and the rest of the country got the first bill
     for Operation Iraqi Freedom when the president asked Congress for
     $74.7 billion to cover war-related costs. Empire-building isn't
     cheap.

     "That's probably going to underwrite about one month's cost of the
     war," said Waters. "And it's just the tip of the iceberg."

     Waters got nervous when she saw Halliburton, Vice President Dick
     Cheney's former company, grab one of the first rebuilding contracts
     before we'd even begun knocking things down. To help prevent a
     feeding frenzy by corporations with political connections, Waters
     introduced two amendments.

     The first would have put a four-year hold on the awarding of
     military contracts to companies that helped draft the Iraqi war
     policy or employed high-level administration officials.

     It was shot down like a sputtering Scud.

     Waters went back to the drawing board and came up with a softer
     amendment.

     "This time I just said, 'OK, let's say the person who's worked for
     that company in the last four years can't do the negotiating. He'd
     have to recuse himself from that discussion.' Now that's as simple
     as it can get, and they voted against that one, too."

     One night last week, I called Waters' Capitol Hill office at 9 p.m.
     her time and she answered the phone herself, having just returned
     from a House session.

     "I was on the floor for an hour, helping educate people about the
     cuts being made to veterans' programs," she said.

     So let's review.

     We're asking 200,000 troops to risk life and limb in Iraq, and the
     White House and Congress are preparing a welcome-home party by
     slashing veterans' benefits.

     Last week, I visited the Veterans Affairs dorms in West L.A., where
     I met a Vietnam vet who was wounded six times. He had a brace on
     his leg and shrapnel scars from head to toe, and he'd finally given
     up on his fight for enough disability pay to live on.

     When I walked away, patients were calling out to me, saying there's
     no hot water for showers.

     Things are not looking good for the future veterans of Operation
     Iraqi Freedom.

     By Waters' count, current budget proposals would trim $15 billion
     from veterans' programs -- something's got to cover those big tax
     cuts -- over the next 10 years.

     And that's if there are no unforeseen costs in the rebuilding of
     Iraq.

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>