-Caveat Lector-

Jesus of Nazareth: lord or lunatic?

08/03/03

DAVID REINHARD

You read or hear it everywhere, though I'm always mystified when it comes from a religious leader. "It" is what you might call "The Domesticated Jesus" -- the Jesus even nonbelievers accept. He's not the Son of God who rose from dead and sits at the right hand of God. He's not God Incarnate. No, "The Domesticated Jesus" is none of that, but he is most assuredly a great moral teacher, a man of blinding insight and wisdom, an admirable human being.

It's an easy enough notion to hold. After all, there are Jesus' teachings on love and forgiveness ("Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself") and his ministry to the weak and poor and dispossessed. It also allows the most sophisticated types to tap into all this without buying that weird other-worldly stuff.

"The Domesticated Jesus" was on display in a recent New York Times article about a Lutheran pastor in Denmark who was suspended for declaring some decidedly un-Christian views. "I do not believe in a physical God, in the afterlife, in the resurrection, in the Virgin Mary," Pastor Thorkild Grosboll said in writings and remarks. "I believe that Jesus was a nice guy, who figured out what man wanted. He embodied what he believed was needed to upgrade the human being."

Grosboll's meditations and suspension sparked quite a ruckus -- no mean feat in religiously nonchalant Denmark -- but what interested me was not the pastor's theological views or whether he should be allowed to remain a pastor. It was his musings on "Mr. Nice Guy Jesus," the great moral teacher and all-too-human master of human upgrades. Those musings took me back to what was, for me, one of the most important passages in one of the most important books I've ever read, C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity."

"I am trying . . . to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say," the Cambridge University don wrote. "A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. . . . You must make your choice. Either he was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse."

Precisely.

"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" is wonderful, but what about Jesus' other words? Here's someone who walked the Earth saying he's God or the son of God. "It is written, My house is the house of prayer: but ye have made it a den of thieves," Jesus said famously at the temple.

Or this: "If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him."

We have ways of dealing with folks who make such claims, and it's not declaring them great moral teachers. But Jesus went even further. He promised his own resurrection ("Hereafter shall the Son of Man sit on the right hand of the power of God") and had the effrontery to forgive sins that people committed against God or others ("Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee"). Beyond all this, Jesus was very clear, judgmental even, about what he believed was necessary to upgrade a human being: "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."

Now, you don't need to believe any of this. You're free to conclude it's all total rubbish. But it's impossible to maintain Jesus is just "Mr. Nice Guy" and one of history's great moral teachers. "The Domesticated Jesus" doesn't hold up logically. He's either lord or lunatic. He can't be both.

I suppose you could say you believe certain things he's said to have said and disbelieve others. But this seems arbitrary and makes about as much sense as saying you believe some wack job also happens to one of the world's great moral teachers.

"You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God," C.S. Lewis wrote. "But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."

In short, no more Mr. Nice Guy. David Reinhard is an associate editor.

Copyright 2003 Oregon Live. All Rights Reserved.
www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.