-Caveat Lector-

On 18 Dec 98 , Hilary wrote:

> -Caveat Lector-
>
> On 17 Dec 98 , KA wrote:
>
> >  -Caveat Lector-
> >
> > On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > ><< sexual harassment IS a crime. >>
> > >
> > >I don't think asking is a crime?
> >
> > Sure it is, if the person asking is in a position of authority.
>
> Gee, June--
> My Mom was a pretty young secretary at a fancy celebrity club and my
> Dad was an older "celebrity" when they met. Guess my Dad committed a
> crime....and here I am!  Always thought there was something fishy
> about the whole situation, although, for a time there, my Mom thought
> she had gotten a real good deal!
>
> Actually, it was their greatest hope that I would do the same
> thing--get a job as a young clerk and marry an important,
> wealthy executive. Lots of people did it in the 40s and 50s. Needless
> to say, I was a great disappointment.
>
> I take it you favor a strict caste system. Would you say that "The
> Nanny" portrays a criminal situation?
>
> sno0wl
>
> snoOwl,
>
> This sounds like a very romantic situation for both of your parents.  One of
> the big differences is that your mother was not employed by your father - he
> was a client of the club.

No, he was a member--not a client--of a dues-paying club. So, in a
sense, she was his employee. However, when this worked out well, it
was considered "romantic" and highly advantageous for whoever had the
most to gain. In later years, when she went back to work, she often
boasted of her ability to get her boss's "attention." And I'm sure,
for her generation, that response was not uncommon.  It's hard to
imagine this has changed much even today--and it is not always easy
to draw the line between desired attention and sexual harassment.

I once left a job  when I was fresh out of college because my male
supervisor was supercritical of everything I did. It was very strange
because I sensed his motivation stemmed from his attraction to
me, which, for whatever reason, made him very uncomfortable.
But his need to make me uncomfortable and to humiliate me  became
absolutely intolerable. At the time, there was no way to address it.
He would simply have attacked my "performance," no one would have
questioned him, and I would have had no defence.  I went from there
(a rather prestigious publishing house) to waiting tables at a very
lively hotspot coffeeshop, where the patrons and staff  flirted
outrageously. But because there was no real threat of "unwanted"
attention, it was lots of harmless fun.

Now why in the world would Paula Jones have gone up to that hotel
room in the first place? Was she flattered to be asked? Would she
have been more amenable to the assignation if he had been a bit
less "abrupt"? Hey, you never know.

sno0wl