-Caveat Lector- http://www.politicalstrategy.org/2003_08_27_weblog_archive.php#106199217328364267

Ambassador Joseph Wilson Accuses Karl Rove of Outing His Wife as a CIA Agent: "At the end of the day, it's of keen interest to me to see whether or not we can get Karl Rove frog-marched out of the White House in handcuffs. And trust me, when I use that name, I measure my words."

Ambassador Joseph Wilson dropped a bombshell at a forum organized by Rep. Jay Inslee of Washington.

[You'll need to click on "video of the event," and if your machine has pop-up protection, you'll have to hold down the "control" key while doing so.

[The key exchange is about 80% of the way through; in Windows Media, it comes on when the cursor is just above and to the right of the "mute" button. Idaho EV, one of CalPundit's commenters, timed it as coming between 1:17:53 and 1:20:39 of the tape.]

Wilson was asked whether he trusted the FBI to investigate the case. He started by saying that he had to speak hypothetically, since whether a crime was committed or not depended on his wife's status, about which he will not comment. He then explained the process, and expressed confidence that the career-service folks would play it straight, especially since a number of Members of Congerss, including not only Schumer and Durbin but also Henry Waxman and Hillary Clinton, were actively interested in the case and had promised him to keep the pressure on.

"I have confidence at the professional level that whatever they think is doable will be done." He acknowledged some uncertainty about whether public discussion might inhibit the investigation rather than forwarding it.

Then he opened up:

At the end of the day, it's of keen interest to me to see whether or not we can get Karl Rove frog-marched out of the White House in handcuffs. And trust me, when I use that name, I measure my words.

Josh Marshall had already noted his belief that Wilson had a suspect in mind. But having someone in mind is one thing, and making what is virtually a public accusation of a an aggravated felony is something else. If Wilson doesn't have the goods, he risks being personally discredited in a way that's very hard to recover from.

Now that Rove has been accused, it's for him to respond. It's a simple yes or no: Did he talk to Novak about Plame, or instruct anyone else to do so? I hope that some credentialled journalists will be asking him that question.

(Thanks to Pacific Views for the link, and to an alert reader for the tip. Oddly, none of the coverage of the Inslee meeting seemed to have picked up on what seemed to me like the big news. A Google for "Joseph Wilson Rove handcuffs" yields six blogs and no real media.) - Source

www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.