-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

Thursday, October 2, 2003   PERMALINK:

Chicago City Counsel Condemns PATRIOT ACT

On October 1, the Chicago City Counsel voted to pass a resolution condemning
the USA PATRIOT Act, becoming the largest city in the United States to show
its contempt for the Ashcroft-Congress brand of patriotism.

As reported by attorney Noah Leavitt, with Chicago's Jewish Counsel on Urban
Affairs, Aldermen Helen Shiller (Ward 46), Joe Moore (Ward 49), Freddrenna
Lyle (Ward 6) and Ricardo Munoz (Ward 22) introduced a resolution to the City
Council supporting Chicago's immigrant population and condemning the excesses of
the USA PATRIOT Act.  The resolution "reaffirms the rights of all people
living within the City under the U.S. Constitution and calls for the City to work
for the repeal of the Act and associated Executive Orders which violate our
fundamental rights and liberties. City Council passed the resolution at this
morning’s meeting."

Chicago Arabs and Jews, represented by the Jewish Counsel on Urban Affairs
(JCUA) and the Muslim Civil Rights Center (MCRC), worked together to get the
resolution passed.  Said Rasheed Ahmed, President of the MCRC, “This is a huge
victory for all people who care about civil rights. As Muslims, we feel the
sting of suspicion and the fear of a knock on our doors. The practice of guilt by
association, perpetrated against American Muslim and Arab-American
communities, undermines the fundamental meaning of the Bill of Rights and sets the
legal
precedence for the same fate for all Americans. The nefarious USA PATRIOT Act
is leading to the creation of a second tier justice system that could be used
against any American for political purposes and weakens the fabric of our
democratic society.”

Jane Ramsey, Executive Director of the Jewish Council on Urban Affairs,
shared these. “We at JCUA are proud to be counted on the side of people who have
spoken out against this violation of our fundamental rights. As Jews, who are so
familiar with the immigrant experience and the unfortunate suspicions placed
upon ‘outsiders,’ we understand the need to protect those who are not yet
citizens.  We also recognize that the PATRIOT Act threatens the Constitutional
rights and freedoms of all of America’s residents - citizens and non-citizens
alike. Today’s PATRIOT Act is reminiscent of other infringements on civil
liberties in America’s history such as the internment of Japanese-Americans during
World War II and the Red hunts of the McCarthy period in the 1950s."

The USA PATRIOT Act compromises the civil liberties of all Americans, but
particularly affects Muslim and Arab-American communities. In Chicago, large
numbers of immigrant workers have been arrested on numerous occasions, including
in raids at O'Hare and Midway airports as well as the Sears Tower. These raids
have led to the detention and deportation of many Latino immigrant airport
workers.

A joint statement released by JCUA and MCRC indicates that violence against
Arabs in Chicago increased from four in the year 2000 to 60 in the year 2001 to
124 last year. The PATRIOT Act, it reasons, poisons Chicago by creating a
climate of xenophobia, distrust, and paranoia. It alienates the very communities
that could provide crucial assistance to our national security and law
enforcement bodies.

Because of the PATRIOT Act's broad scope and its many negative effects,
communities across the country are joining together to voice their opposition.
Three states and more than 160 municipalities from 28 states --approximately 20
million people-- have passed resolutions criticizing the Act. Similar efforts
are underway across the country.

<FONT COLOR="#000099">Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
Lexmark
</FONT><A HREF="http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511";><B>Click Here!</B></A><FONT
COLOR="#000099">
</FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/aQSolB/TM";><B>Click