-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/
<A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin Grabbe</A>
-----

Impeached POTUS

Clinton Defiant After Impeachment Vote

Says nothing can make him leave the Oval Office

PRESIDENT Clinton remained defiant after becoming the first US president
for 130 years to be impeached when the House of Representatives voted
that he must stand trial in the Senate over allegations that he lied
under oath.
He emerged smiling from the Oval Office in the White House arm-in-arm
with his wife Hillary to address the nation and demanded an end to the
"politics of personal destruction". He said: "We must get rid of the
poisonous venom of excessive partisanship, excessive animosity and
uncontrolled anger."

The first of two articles of impeachment, accusing him of perjury before
the Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr's grand jury, was approved by a
majority of 228 to 206 on almost exact party lines. A second article,
accusing him of obstructing justice by tampering with witnesses, was
also sent for trial.

The votes came at the end of a morning of high drama in Congress in
which the Speaker-elect, Bob Livingston, stunned colleagues by resigning
over his own sexual infidelity, and urged the President to follow suit.
"I cannot do that job or be the kind of leader that I would like to be
under current circumstances," Mr Livingston said. "I must set the
example that I hope President Clinton will follow." He also announced
that he would be leaving Congress next year.

Two hours later Democrats staged an unprecedented mass walkout to
protest at the Republican leadership's refusal to allow a debate and
vote on censure as an alternative to impeachment. The White House was
last night attempting to draw some comfort from the fact that two of the
four charges levelled against the President were defeated. Enough
Republicans joined Democrats to halt accusations that Mr Clinton
committed perjury in the Paula Jones sexual harassment lawsuit, and that
he abused his executive power. But nothing could distract from the fact
that the 42nd President of the United States will now go down in history
as only the second to be impeached for what the American Constitution
describes as "high crimes and misdemeanours".

As the impeachment votes took place around lunchtime in Washington, the
first missiles were hitting their targets in the fourth night of
bombardment of Iraq, and President Clinton was closeted in the Oval
Office receiving spiritual guidance from an American Baptist pastor. The
President's consultations with the Rev Tony Campolo, who counselled him
after he first admitted to his affair with Miss Lewinsky, were due to be
followed by meetings with senior Democrat congressional leaders and an
address to the nation from the White House.

For a few hours yesterday morning the President's own woes were briefly
eclipsed by the suprise announcement from Mr Livingston, which came just
two days after a report in a Congressional newspaper forced him to admit
he had "on occasion strayed from my marriage".

Before his announcement, Mr Livingston had challenged the President:
"You, sir, may resign your post." Democrats responded with a chant of
"You resign! You resign! You resign!" but fell silent when Mr Livingston
did just that.

Strategists were determined to ensure that the vote against the
President could be portrayed as overwhelmingly partisan. In the event
they largely succeeded: only five Democrats voted for the best-supported
article of impeachment, and five Republicans cast their votes against.

The Senate trial will be presided over by the Chief Justice of the
Supreme Court. Mr Clinton is expected to be granted 28 days from the
formal opening of the process in early January in which to respond with
his defence.

The London Telegraph, Dec. 20, 1998

Impeached POTUS

Some Dems Might Like to See Clinton Walk the Plank

Do we need this baggage?

ANALYSIS--Suddenly it seems perfectly possible that President Clinton
could become the first president to get kicked out of office by the U.S.
Senate.
Fresh from the historic vote that gave Clinton a place of disgrace in
history as the second president to be impeached, even his friends are
now warning that the worst could be yet to come.

"The president should not take the Senate for granted," warned
Sen.-elect Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), adding Clinton made a megamistake
by taking the House for granted.

"I think predictions are unwise. Given what happened over the last month
or two, anyone who says the president will definitely stay either has a
crystal ball or is being a little bit rash."

Adds Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.), one of the most respected Democrats:
"I don't think any of us can say now" what will happen in the Senate.

Particularly after House Speaker-elect Bob Livingston's stunning
decision to "set an example" and resign over private hanky-panky that
didn't involve lying under oath - and call on Clinton to follow suit.

The White House's awareness of the danger posed by Livingston's example
was clear in its desperate plea for Livingston to reconsider and hang on
- as Clinton is trying to do.

Already, Senate staffers warn that - contrary to some reports -
Democratic Senate leader Tom Daschle has spread the word that he won't
copy House Democratic leader Dick Gephardt and try to force Democrats
into line behind Clinton.

"In fact it could be that in the end it will be Republicans who want to
keep Clinton in office so they can run against him in 2000 - and
Democrats who want him out now. They don't owe him anything," says a
Democratic strategist.

"The public doesn't seem outraged. The stock market is doing fine.
Democrats can say, "If we get rid of this guy it helps us in 2000 and
gives us two years with Al Gore as president. What's the incentive to
fight to save Clinton?"

Republicans control the Senate 55-45 and it would take 67 votes to
convict Clinton - or 34 to save him. But as of now, key senators
privately say he can't count on 34 votes.

So Clinton now faces three awful alternatives:

*Resign in disgrace like Richard Nixon (aides and wife Hillary insist
he'll never do it).

*Go to trial, put all his dirty laundry on display, get humiliated - and
risk being kicked out of office by a Senate conviction.

*Find some way toward a bipartisan censure resolution in the Senate -
but it will have to be very, very toughly worded and flatly state that
he lied under oath.

"You know things are really bad when we're talking about a censure
resolution that costs him a lot of money and leaves him vulnerable to
prosecution as the best outcome," says a Democratic strategist.

All along, the White House has assumed that Americans are terrified at
the thought of an ousted president, but with the stock market up,
Christmas in the air and the Iraq war surreally moving ahead, those
fears have faded.

Clinton also faces big trouble in the Senate because it's a far less
partisan place than the House, and Democratic senators - many disgusted
by his behavior - won't automatically rally behind him as Reps. Barney
Frank (D-Mass.) and Jerrold Nadler (D-Manhattan) did.

The most respected Senate Democrats - Lieberman, Daniel P. Moynihan
(N.Y.), Bob Kerrey (Neb.), Robert Byrd (W.Va.) - have all publicly
denounced his behavior and warned against trying to turn Sexgate into a
partisan fight.

Indeed, it's hard to imagine which Senate Democrats would rise to
Clinton's defense. Sen. Ted Kennedy (Mass.) might leap to mind - were it
not for his own messy personal history.

Also, once Clinton goes to trial in the Senate, the process will be far
more solemn - no Barney Frank food fights, and the chief justice of the
U.S. Supreme Court will preside in all his dignity.

"There's something about the Supreme Court that gives an inherent sense
of gravity and purpose. The senators won't be yapping like Chihuahuas as
House members were and that will affect how people see it," says GOP
pollster Kellyanne Fitzpatrick.

She puts the odds that Clinton will have to go at 50-50 - plenty of
Democrats privately say the odds still say he'll stay in office, but
"only 60-40, not 90-10," as one put it. Besides, in the Senate, the
focus will be on lies, not kinky sex with Monica Lewinsky - and some
legal analysts say Clinton's biggest worry could be obstruction of
justice, not talking about when sex is sex.

Consider one final wrinkle: Suppose the Senate does come to a bipartisan
deal on a tough censure that forces Clinton to admit he's a liar. Then
all through the 2000 campaign, Republicans can ask Veep Al Gore, the
likely Democratic nominee, if he agrees his boss is a liar.

No wonder many Democrats are starting to wonder if they wouldn't be
better off if they dumped Clinton.

The New York Post, Dec. 20, 1998

Sex, Lies, & Videotape

How Larry Flynt Smote Bob Livingston

Ruda Maxa's maximum dirt

Larry Flynt enlisted the aid of top sex-scandal scribe Rudy Maxa to
orchestrate the fall of Rep. Bob Livingston.
"I consulted him and used his expertise to help guide me," Flynt told
The Post yesterday. The Hustler publisher is a longtime pal of Maxa,
best known for breaking the story of Congressman Wayne Hays' affair with
"I can't type, I can't even answer a phone" secretary Elizabeth Ray in
1976.

Louisiana Republican Livingston, slated to be the next House speaker,
resigned yesterday in the wake of his shocking confession that he had
"strayed" from his marriage on several occasions. He went public after
he learned Flynt was working on a story about his extramarital
dalliances.

Flynt - who in October offered up to $1 million to anyone who could
prove having an adulterous liaison with a high-ranking lawmaker -
confirmed yesterday that Hustler is working on "sexposes" of other top
GOPers.

"We plan to reveal more names, hopefully around the first of the year,"
he told The Post. "But I can't tell you more until that time."

Both Flynt and Maxa, once dubbed "the dean of Washington sexcapades,"
insisted yesterday that the veteran Washington reporter did not
personally have a hand the Livingston dirt-dig.

"Rudy and I have been friends for a long time, and I asked his advice
when I started this," Flynt said. "But he did not actively work on this
story. I have two investigative reporters and several ex-FBI and CIA
personnel doing the work."

Maxa, who has "retired" from covering scandals to host his "Savvy
Traveler" show on public radio, was even more adamant.

"I wish I could take credit for giving Washington the shakes, but it
ain't me, babe," Maxa told The Post.

"When Larry [first placed his ad], I had dinner with him ... and we
talked about it in general terms, as friends," Maxa said. "But he
certainly did not hire me, and I am not [part of the investigative team]
in any real sense."

That should make nervous pols breath a bit easier.

A former reporter for the Washington Post and later a Washingtonian
columnist, Maxa's 1976 story that then-Rep. Hays (D-Ohio) had put his
mistress, Ray, on the House payroll sparked a media frenzy.

In 1980, Maxa broke the tale of former Playboy model and lobbyist Paula
Parkinson's golf-outing antics with then-GOP Congressmen Tom Evans, Dan
Quayle, Tom Railsback and two others.

In 1990, he co-authored an article in which call-boy entrepreneur Steve
Gobie dished sexual tidbits about Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass) and other
gay members of Congress.

Maxa's impressive resume once prompted his pal, Washington restaurateur
Mo Sussman, to joke, "As long as there are sexual deviants in the world,
Rudy Maxa will have a job."

The New York Post, Dec. 20, 1998
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,