-Caveat Lector-
This morning's paper had an item entitled "Did religious observation spur Army discharge?".  It was from a Houston paper and said that Refael and Margaret Chaiken were discharged from the US Army for disobeying orders and attending Yom Kippur services.   Of course,
at first I was ready to write my congressmen and the Secretary of the Army to tell them that all US citizens had a right to practice their religion.  Skipping classes in a language school is not a good thing; however, on reflection, I realized that there's a story here.

 We have a military man and wife team (both Jews) who together were studying to be interrogators in the war on terrorism.  This meant that they had to be studying Arabic.  What's wrong with this picture?  As the couple apparently needed language training to be interrogators, they did not already possess any special virtue that would have overcome the fact that as Jews their impartiality when interrogating terrorists (translate that to Moslems) could be questioned.  So, the American military must have an unusual concept as to how to at least appear to be impartial in the Jewish/Moslem battle that whether we like to admit it or not seems to be the root of the terrorism thing.

The dangers here are two-fold anyway.  The words of the beautiful blonde Floridian woman who was leaving with her husband and two small children to go to Israel to live in a settlement are still ringing in my ears:  "Yes," she said, "of course we are Americans but FIRST we are Jews."  Would such interrogators not perhaps change their reports of the answers they receive during the interrogations, and If they were perceived to be not Americans but shills for Israel, they could be in real danger.  I've often felt that the Wall Street reporter who was killed in Pakistan was scheduled for death because of his past record as a military man in the Israeli Army and possible association with the Mossad.   For our Department of Defense to place American Jews in such danger is unforgivable, even if they are requesting such duty.  It is not their loyalty that is in question, of course, it is their enthusiasm for their own faith and for Israel that gives the appearance of possible trouble.

The American government as a whole seems to have questionable procedures in many cases.  Remember when Ken Starr who had hated Bill Clinton since his undergraduate days was given the job of  "Independent" Counselor?  What a hoot?  If's a good thing old Custer is long gone.  This administration would probably have him heading up the Bureau of Indian Affairs.  The American Government and our military should be entertaining much more discretion in selecting suitable combatants to forge its fight against terrorism in some areas, unless of course, the Moslems are correct in their charges of discrimination, but of course that is unthinkable.  Prudy

Prudy
www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.