-Caveat Lector-

scroll for news articles

Department of medical history - History of medical involvement in torture--then and now Giovanni Maio Lancet 2001; 357: 1609-11 Volume 357, Number 9268     19 May 2001 Institute for the History of Medicine and Science, University of Luebeck, D-23552 Luebeck, Germany (G Maio PD)(e-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) ""Methods of torture have also changed; traditional methods mainly used physical pain, whereas modern torture also involves psychiatric-pharmacological and psychological techniques (figure 3). Brain washing is the oldest form of psychological torture; other methods include further deprivation (eg, sleep deprivation), apparent execution, isolation, dark cells, personal threats, and forced observation of others being tortured. These techniques are used often because they leave no visible evidence of torture; torture today must be impossible to prove, which would not be possible without medical skills." http://www.thelancet.com/journal/vol357/iss9268/full/llan.357.9268.editorial_and_review.16316.1

Dealing With Shame - As You Work Toward Emotional Healing "Survivors of abuse often have to deal with feelings of shame. There is an important difference between shame and guilt, and that is the key to dealing with shame effectively." http://incestabuse.about.com/cs/healing/a/Shame.htm

Protecting our Children: Clinical, Legal, and Scientific Perspectives on Child Maltreatment  Nova Southeastern University Fort Lauderdale, Florida - March 6 -7, 2004 "This conference will explore multiple perspectives on child maltreatment, with an eye towards examining how new clinical, legal, and academic approaches might improve our society's response to child maltreatment. The presenters will explore legal, clinical, and system barriers that may interfere with child protection goals and explore new creative solutions for helping children caught in the cycle of intergenerational violence and abuse. Presenters will examine misinformation in the media, academia, and the courtroom about child maltreatment that may impede child protection goals and highlight scientific evidence concerning the physical and emotional consequences of child maltreatment."  Presenters include Stephanie Dallam, Lenore Walker, Ed.D., Paul Fink, M.D. and Joyanna Silberg, Ph.D. Registration Fort Lauderdale March 6-7, 2004, Nova Southeastern University Maltz Psychology Building - 3301 College Avenue - Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33314-7796 Telephone: 800-541-6682, ext. 5780, or (954) 262-5780

>From L Moss Sharman - Boys Choir Director Accused in Lawsuit of Hitting Students By Alan Feuer 1/11/04 "Corporal punishment was a common part of the rehearsal process for the Boys Choir of Harlem, and the choir's founder and director, Walter J. Turnbull, sometimes struck choir members who performed poorly, lawyers for a former student at the choir's academy said yesterday. The lawyers have filed a $30 million lawsuit against Dr. Turnbull on behalf of the former student, an 18-year-old who also accused the director of failing to report complaints that the academy's chief counselor had sexually molested him for years. Last week, the choir's board of directors, prompted by a city investigation into the former student's claim, demanded Dr. Turnbull's resignation. In a scathing memo sent to the board before Christmas, investigators accused Dr. Turnbull of failing to report the allegations of sexual abuse when he learned about them in 2001 and allowing the counselor to remain in contact with students even after city officials had explicitly banned him from the school." http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/11/nyregion/11CHOI.html?pagewanted=all

Proposed class-action sexual abuse lawsuit for Santa Rosa diocese AP Santa Rosa "A new class-action lawsuit has been proposed to resolve sexual abuse complaints against the Santa Rosa Catholic diocese.  A lawyer for alleged sexual abuse victims has proposed consolidating 11 existing actions so they could be settled with one lump sum payment. He says the class-action case could help the 150,000 member diocese, which is still recovering from a 16 million dollar deficit. But a diocese attorney says he's working to settle all the claims through mediation, not class action. He says 12 lawsuits are pending against the diocese. About 800 cases have been filed statewide against the Catholic Church -- the majority in Southern California." http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/breaking_news/7686445.htm
www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.