-Caveat Lector-

I believe that the following is filled with factual errors. Here are a
few that I have noticed from memory.

Howard Davis

Kris Millegan wrote:

> Subject: Fwd: What the US wants in Kosovo...
> Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 21:07:47 EDT
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Subj:   Re: What the US wants in Kosovo...
> Date:   99-04-19 17:05:41 EDT
> From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Carrara)
>
> On Sun, 18 Apr 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Im not saying WWII was the best thing to do but, the axis forces DID in
> fact

snip

> Japan had reached a conditional surrender with their
> ambassador in Moscow, under the condition that the Emperor, an extremely
> important holy figure to the Japanese, remain in place.  This is the *only*
> condition, a simple request if you ask me, but the U$ would not budge, they
> wanted an unconditional surrender.
***
My understanding is that the Russians did not forward this offer of surrender.

Why else did the U$ drop those bombs?
> Well one thing that has been said is that too much time and money had already
> been invested in developing this atomic bomb, they *had* to drop it (remember
> Albright's statement to Powel, "what's the point of having the most powerful
> military in the world if we can't even use it").  This argument has merit,
> but even more so is the fact that the U$ wanted to destroy Japan so that they
> could instill their imperial powers before Russia did.  For if Russia were to
> destroy Japan before the U$, Japan would have surrendered to Russia, and they
> would have complete control to Japan, as we did post-WWII.  Russia had said
> (promised) that they would enter the war with Japan exactly 90 afters after
> the European war ended.  Germany surrendered on May 8, making August 8 the 90
> day mark that Russia had promised to enter into the war against Japan.
***
I believe that they had already entered the war before the bombs were
A-bombs were dropped. Stalin had full knowledge of the Manhatten project
from his spies (it has recently been admitted that USSR's first A-bomb
was an exact duplicate of one of the US bombs). Also, it has been pretty
much established that Alger Hiss was a spy reporting to Moscow (through
recently released KGB files).

The
> first bomb fell on Hiroshima August 6, the second bomb fell on Nagasaki on
> August 7, literally day(s) before Russia had promised to enter into the war!
> Is this a coincidence, I think not!  A former Secretary of the Navy said
> about Secretary of State James F. Byrnes as "most anxious to get the Japanese
> affair over with before the Russians got in."  Is it any coincidence that
> prior to WWII, Russia was the enemy.  They suddenly became our allies in the
> war against Germany.  But as soon as the European countries surrendered, the
> enemy was switched back to Russia.  Amazingly how quickly this all happened,
> isn't it?
***
It actually took a few years while they took over Eastern Europe. For
instance, they were given a free reign to take over Poland in 1946. (See
"I Saw Polan Betrayed" by the US ambassador to Poland in 1945-6).

snip

> It was well known that these targets (Hiroshima and Nagasaki) were purely
> civilian areas.

I believe that Nagasaki was a major port.