-Caveat Lector-

Security High for NATO's 50th

By DAVID BRISCOE
.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The city that made its way through the Million Man March,
massive civil rights and anti-war protests and quadrennial inaugurations is
taking unprecedented steps to protect an event that will attract few
spectators -- largely because those who come will be stopped at the
barricades.

Bomb squads, SWAT teams and other federal and local police units and
personnel are throwing a smothering security blanket over America's capital
beginning Friday to protect leaders of about 40 countries meeting for NATO's
50th anniversary.

The cloak of protection, intensified because of the NATO bombing campaign,
includes the first-ever closing of several Smithsonian museums for security
reasons. Police are virtually shutting down more than two dozen blocks in the
busy heart of the city.

Yet organizers continue to scale back public aspects of the gathering,
turning it solely toward serious business topped by talk on NATO's conflict
with Yugoslavia. Bleachers just set up for a major outdoor ceremony were
being dismantled Monday after leaders decided to meet on Kosovo Friday
morning instead of holding a public ceremony and parade.

Strategy sessions and security drills began six months ago to prepare for
anything from drive-by shootings or truck bombing to nuclear or biological
terrorism.

``We are the No. 1 target in the world,'' said Jim Rice, FBI special agent
for terrorism. ``But we have home-field advantage. We know the streets. We
know the skyline. If something is out of place, we know it.''

Altogether, 17 agencies are involved, including riot police and hazardous
chemical units, plus security details for each world leader.

``All are prepared to respond to an emergency,'' said Secret Service Special
Agent Jim Mackin. ``Our goal in planning was to prevent them from having to
do that.''

The war in Kosovo and U.S. and British skirmishes with Iraq add to potential
security problems. But so far neither action has brought a specific threat --
at least not one made public.

``I don't want to jinx anything, but the threats we have today are the same
ones we had yesterday and the day before,'' Rice said. ``We are prepared.''

Traffic will be banned from several blocks surrounding the sprawling new
Ronald Reagan Building downtown, where the leaders will meet. Closer in, even
pedestrians will be restricted.

Nine downtown Smithsonian museums were set to close Friday. Museum officials
agreed to the unprecedented shutdown after NATO organizers demanded that
nonessential government workers in a nearly 100-block security zone stay home
to sharply reduce the number of people in the area. The zone includes much of
the National Mall.

The three most popular museums will remain open -- Air and Space, Natural
History and American History -- and all museums will be open Saturday and
Sunday. They usually close only on Christmas.

``We got pressure not to bring any of our people in,'' said Smithsonian
spokesman David J. Umansky. ``But we have a responsibility to the American
people,'' who expect the free museums to be open.

Eight busy downtown streets and a major subway stop next to the NATO meeting
site will be closed for the three-day event. And all city schools will close
Friday, including those miles from the summit.

``If I were a terrorist, this is the last town I would hit,'' said Frank
Cilluffo, global crime expert with the Center for Strategic and International
Studies. Nevertheless, the summit provides a tempting target ``for those
interested in showcasing something to the world.''

The principal terrorist threat is from truck bombs, which is what much of the
physical security around Washington is designed to stop, noted Brian Michael
Jenkins, a California-based terrorism analyst.

But, he said, ``Can those measures prevent some individual or ad hoc
conspiracy or terrorist group on behalf of a multitude of causes from setting
a bomb somewhere in the city? Absolutely not.''