-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

>>The purpose of Tenet's peroration was to get the President, and also his own Agency, off the hook when it comes to the complete absence of "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq. Either the President of the United States and his advisors made it all up out of whole cloth, or the intelligence they were being fed was faulty. The first conclusion is not allowable, and so the second conclusion was the Republican line by default – and that, from Tenet's point of view, wasn't good either, because it looked like the CIA was being set up to take the fall. Thus, the speech had to walk a very fine line between blaming the boss, and taking it on the chin, and, when all is said and done, one has to say: Good job, George! <<

George John Tenet

Also known as: George Tenet, George J. Tenet

Birth: January 5, 1953 in Flushing, New York, United States
Nationality: American
Occupation: government official
Source: Biography Resource Center Online. Gale Group, 1999.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Biographical Essay
Further Readings
Source Citation

BIOGRAPHICAL ESSAY

George Tenet became director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in July of 1997. His appointment capped a long career at the highest levels of government, during which he became an expert on national security and intelligence issues.

George John Tenet was born in Flushing, New York, on January 5, 1953. Tenet and his twin brother both attended public school in the middle-class Queens neighborhood. Tenet's parents, John and Evangelia Tenet, were parishioners at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, where George and his brother attended religious classes and served as altar boys.

As a teenager, Tenet and his brother worked as busboys after school at the Scobee Grill, a neighborhood diner. Tenet was paid $1 an hour to restock creamers and napkin holders. It was here that he developed a reputation as a gregarious, outgoing young man. Tenet's co-workers called him "the mouthpiece" because he was so talkative.

After graduating from Cardozo High School, Tenet moved to Washington, D.C., where he enrolled at the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. During college vacations, he returned to Queens where he waited tables with his brother at Patrick's Pub, a local watering hole. Tenet received his bachelor's degree in 1976 and completed his education with a master's degree from the School of International Affairs at Columbia University in 1978.

Began Government Career

After graduate school, Tenet returned to Washington to pursue a career in government. One of his first jobs came working for a group called the American Hellenic Institute, a Greek-American lobbying organization. In 1982, Tenet joined the staff of U.S. Senator John Heinz

 [Skull and Bones--whose widow married John Kerry, also S&B  http://www.johnkerry.com/about_teresa/  Teresa Heinz Kerry brings an extraordinary range of experience and talent to the campaign trail for her husband. She has been deeply involved with a number of issues that are equally important to her husband, including the environment, children, women's issues, and health care and wellness. She has been an outspoken advocate for human rights, and a strong supporter of the arts. Born in Mozambique, fluent in five languages, she has combined compassion and common sense to become a force for innovation and social progress as leader of one of the nation's largest private foundations. After studying in South Africa and Switzerland, she moved to the United States to work for the United Nations. In 1966, she married Senator John Heinz, with whom she had three sons. Shortly after celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary in 1991, she lost her husband in a plane crash....she became chair of The Howard Heinz Endowment and the Heinz Family Philanthropies...She was first introduced to John Kerry by Senator Heinz at an Earth Day rally in 1990. In 1992, she ran into Kerry at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, where she was representing U.S. non-governmental organizations. In 1993 they began dating, and were married in the presence of her three sons and his two daughters on Memorial Day in 1995. ].

He remained with Heinz for over three years, both as a legislative assistant covering national security and energy issues and as legislative director.

In August of 1985, Tenet moved on to a more prominent position as the designee to the vice chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, Senator Patrick Leahy. In 1986, Tenet was promoted to the post of staff director for the committee. In this position, under the chairmanship of Senator David C. Boren, [also S&B] Tenet managed the activities of a bipartisan staff of 40 professionals. He was responsible for coordinating all of the committee's oversight and legislative activities including the strengthening of covert action reporting requirements, the creation of a statutory inspector general at the CIA, and the introduction of comprehensive legislation to reorganize U.S. intelligence. Tenet also directed the committee's oversight of all arms control negotiations between the Soviet Union and the United States, culminating in the preparation of a report to the U.S. Senate on "The Ability of U.S. Intelligence to Monitor the Intermediate Nuclear Force Treaty."

Clinton Confidante

In 1992, Tenet changed jobs again, moving on to President-elect Bill Clinton's national security transition team. In this capacity, he coordinated the evaluation of the U.S. intelligence community for the incoming chief executive. After Clinton took office, he appointed Tenet to serve as special assistant to the president and senior director for intelligence programs at the National Security Council. In this position, Tenet served as principal intelligence advisor to National Security Advisor Anthony Lake. He coordinated presidential decision directives in such areas as intelligence priorities, security policy coordination, U.S. counterintelligence effectiveness, and U.S. policy on remote sensing space capabilities. He was also responsible for coordinating all interagency activities concerning covert action.

With his background in intelligence, Tenet was ideally suited to move up to the post of deputy director of central intelligence in July of 1995. As the principal deputy to then-CIA director John Deutsch, Tenet had responsibilities in the intelligence community and for the direction of the CIA. Deutsch held Tenet in high regard and recommended him to run the agency on an interim basis after Deutsch announced his resignation in December of 1996.

Made CIA Director

After an earlier nominee, Anthony Lake, asked that his name be withdrawn from consideration, President Clinton nominated Tenet to be to be the next Director of Central Intelligence. In making the nomination, Clinton remarked that Tenet had "played a pivotal role in leading the intelligence community in meeting the demands of the post-Cold War world." In July of that year, Tenet was sworn in as the nation's top intelligence official. In his first two years on the job, he worked to restore morale in an agency racked by spy scandals, confusion over its mission, and a lack of committed leadership at the highest levels. Observers gave Tenet high marks for his knowledge of the issues and ability to work with Congress.

FURTHER READINGS

  • New Republic,March 22, 1999.

  • Reuters,March 19, 1997.

SOURCE CITATION

"George John Tenet." Biography Resource Center Online. Gale Group, 1999.