http://www.zolatimes.com/V3.16/pageone.html
<A HREF="http://www.zolatimes.com/V3.16/pageone.html">Laissez Faire City
Times - Volume 3 Issue 16
</A>
-----
The Laissez Faire City Times
April 19, 1999 - Volume 3, Issue 16
Editor & Chief: Emile Zola
Liberty's Structure: an interview with Randy Barnett

by Alberto Mingardi

Randy E. Barnett is the Austin B. Fletcher Professor at Boston
University School of Law. Before entering teaching, he served as a
criminal prosecutor for the Cook County State's Attorney's Office in
Chicago, Illinois where he tried many felony cases.

Professor Barnett's research covers a wide variety of subjects with
emphasis on the roles of consent in contract law, unenumerated rights in
constitutional theory, restitution in criminal justice, and the
importance of natural rights and liberty.

His latest work, The Structure of Liberty: Justice and the Rule of Law,
is a great opus containing solutions to many of the problems encountered
in libertarian philosophy. The book presents a powerful case for a
system of natural rights and private justice. It starts from a
"post-Hayekian" and consequentialist (but not utilitarian) point of
view, and addresses three key areas: the problems of knowledge, the
problems of power, and the problems of interest.

With a solid base in the libertarian tradition--from his "spiritual
father" Murray Rothbard to Lysander Spooner (in whom he is very
interested)--Barnett is not only one of the best young libertarian
scholars, but also "one of us."

You can find more information about The Structure of Liberty at Randy
Barnett’s web page at http://www.bu.edu/rbarnett/.

My first question concerns Bruno Leoni, a scholar from my own country
with whom I think you are acquainted. What is your opinion of Leoni's
opus, Freedom and the Law?

Freedom and the Law was a powerful and influential work that, along with
writings by Hayek, helped keep the flame of [classical] liberalism and
liberty alive during its darkest days (as did the spirited Leoni
himself). Though I read it as a law student and was inspired by it then,
I did not rely upon it in writing The Structure of Liberty primarily
because, for all its virtues, it is rather unsystematic in its nature,
and I was attempting to provide a structure to the subject that had
previously been lacking.

Natural Law Ethics vs. Natural Rights: can you please explain the
difference to our readers?

Natural law ethics are the principles that result from the study of how
we should live our lives, given the nature of human beings and the world
in which we find ourselves. Natural rights are the principles that
result from the study of how people can pursue happiness, peace and
prosperity while living in society with others, given the nature of
human beings and the world in which we live. What we need is liberty to
make our own choices and natural rights provides the structure of that
liberty by distinguishing those freedoms we may rightfully exercise from
the freedom that represents impermissible license. In sum, natural law
ethics purports to tell us how to exercise the freedom that is defined
and circumscribed by natural rights.

Robert Nozick’s account of the "immaculate conception" of the state was
published exactly 25 years ago. Does this book stil have any interest
for libertarians? Or has Nozick's hypothesis been destroyed by history?

Nozick's work served as the focal point of libertarian theory among
philosophers for 25 years. It has done a tremendous service to the cause
of liberty. But now we can and must do better. Anarchy State and Utopia
 suffered from two weaknesses. The first was the absence of any theory
of rights. It assumed rights existed and then considered the
implications of that assumption. Though brilliant, it was largely
reactive to the positions of others--primarily of Nozick's colleague
John Rawls. Second, and much less importantly, it purported to provide a
morally permissible route by which a monopoly law enforcement agency
could arise without violating rights. This argument was refuted at the
time by thoughtful libertarians (See vol. 1, issue 1 of the Journal of
Libertarian Studies). It has not fared any better in the interim. I
think it is time to move beyond Nozick and force statists to confront
other arguments on behalf of liberty than those they have been
mentioning for 25 years.

In a way, I view both Leoni's and Nozick's books as crucially important
transitional works that I was trying to supersede, and so I relied very
little on either in presenting a more systematic explication of the
Structure of Liberty.

What has been the influence of Murray Rothbard on your thinking?

Murray Rothbard had a great influence on me in many ways. First, as an
undergraduate, his writings--especially For a New Liberty--convinced me
more than any others to adopt a libertarian position based on natural
rights, and a position which included a free market for law enforcement
services. When I was a law student and came to know him personally, he
also inspired me to continue thinking and writing about libertarianism.
He recommended me for the fellowship that enabled me to write my first
article on restitution to victims of crime. Though this was not his own
view, from his example, I also saw that libertarian natural rights prin
ciples alone were not enough to tell us exactly which rules of law any
legal system should pick. For this we needed a common-law process of
legal discovery to settle on conventional rules of law that are
consistent with justice, though not derived deductively from natural
rights.

You've pointed out in your book the importance of the "knowledge
problem." What are the differences between your solution and Hayek's?
Also: is Hayek's theory sufficient for the foundation of a free society,
or do we need a more powerful theory based on natural rights? Are these
two theories antithetical?

When I was first thinking about libertarian or classical liberal thought
through a Rothbardian perspective, I did not pay enough attention to
Hayek. Sometime during law school this changed and I came to be
increasingly attracted to a Hayekian approach to many issues, most
particularly the knowledge problem. I do not think my treatment of the
"first-order" knowledge problem in The Structure of Liberty is any
different from Hayek's, nor is my solution to it in the form of "several
property" (Hayek's term) and freedom of contract. What I attempted to do
in The Structure of Liberty is go BEYOND Hayek, to supplement the
first-order knowledge problem which he stresses with the other knowledge
problems as well as problems of interest and power that he does not
devote as much attention to. When you do this, I think you arrive even
more confidently at the same conclusions as he does, but perhaps
elaborated and refined by additional principles of justice. The
conclusions reached by this form of analysis are that a respect for
certain fundamental natural rights is needed to solve these pervasive
social problems (of knowledge, interest, and power) so that people may
pursue happiness, peace, and prosperity while living in society with
each other. French political writer Henri Lepage has characterized my
approach as "Post-Hayekian" and I am quite flattered by the label.

In The Structure of Liberty, you've spoken about "free emigration and
secession," the "power to exit." About free emigration: what was its
historical function in US history from your point of view? Was it
important?

These are all checks on the power of government to impose their will on
dissenters. Of course, in the United States the first powerful
dissenters from the national government were defenders of chattel
slavery so secession was given a very bad connotation. Since then
secession has not been much of a threat or a constraint in the US,
though I understand the situation is quite different today in Italy. As
I understand it, there the more productive regions in the North are
threatening to secede from the more social welfare consumptive regions
in the South. This seems to me to be a healthy impetus to reigning in
the welfare state, but I would need to be more familiar with the
particulars before I could reach a final judgment.

Free emigration from one state within the US to another has constrained
the powers of state and local governments but this eventually led to
national legislation to prevent the "power of exit" from individual
states from inhibiting social welfare programs. These national welfare
programs have proven to be so destructive that some of them have
recently been returned to the states for administration. Had the states
previously been abolished, this "devolution" would not have been
possible.

At the margin, the ability to exit one's country does inhibit its rulers
from abusing their powers, but the costs of exit (giving up one's home,
family, friends, attachments, language) are so high that this constraint
is not really as powerful at the national level as it is at the local
level where one could move to another town within one's native region. I
suppose that my interest in the power of exit stems more from my
Rothbardian than from my Hayekian background, but I am not sure that
Hayek would disagree with the importance of this basic principle of
Liberty.

What do you find so interesting in the thought of Lysander Spooner?

Lysander Spooner was an American lawyer, abolitionist, entrepreneur, and
legal theorist who lived between 1808-1887. His collected works run to
six volumes. I initially became interested in Spooner as a college
student because of his radical critique of the legitimacy of the U.S.
Constitution (and government) in "No Treason: The Constitution of No
Authority." I used this as a text in my jurisprudence and constitutional
theory seminars for many years. Recently, I have become very interested
in Spooner's earlier, less radical writings on the constitutionality of
slavery. There he presents a fascinating theory of constitutional
interpretation as well as a provocative interpretation of the U.S.
Constitution that has influenced my thinking as I plan to write my next
 book on, "The Presumption of Liberty: Restoring the Constitution."
Recently I have raised the money to erect a monument to Spooner on his
grave. Your readers can learn more about Spooner at the website I have
created: http://www.lysanderspooner.org.

My article discussing Spooner's constitutional theory is on the site.
You will also find links to other Spooner sites and writings both by and
about him, as well as photos of his birthplace and grave. I do plan to
add much more of Spooner's writings to the site this summer than are
currently there, so check back again in a few months.

In your opinion, is the libertarian debate between "iusnaturalism" and
utilitarianism still topical?

Since I began defending a more consequentialist conception of natural
rights, I think the debate is less interesting than I used to [think it
was]. Indeed, the classical natural rights thinkers did not distinguish
between "moral" and "consequentialist" arguments. I do not agree,
however, that all issues should, as a practical matter, be decided by
some form of cost-benefit analysis. We need the guidance that only
general abstract principles of justice based on natural rights can
provide. But within the "frame" of permissible legal rules, efficiency
analysis as well as principles of fairness can help us make the choice
between rules that are equally compatible with the requirements of
justice.

What is the importance of the idea of "proportionality" in a libertarian
theory of justice?

Classical liberals tried to rein in the horrific punishments developed
by governments (e.g. hanging those convicted of treason; then, while
they were still alive, cutting out a person's entrails and burning them
in front of them; then drawing and quartering them; afterwards mounting
their heads on pikes) to stress that punishment must be proportionate to
the offense committed. In addition, self defense efforts must be
proportionate to the threat posed by an aggressor. The goal is to
prevent over-punishment which carries with it an enhanced error cost as
well as the potential for grave abuse. As I argue in the Structure of
Liberty, I would replace our reliance on punishment with a system of
enforced restitution and extended self-defense against demonstrably
dangerous offenders. But, like punishment, both restitution and
self-defense must also be proportionate.

-30-

from The Laissez Faire City Times, Vol 3, No 16, April 19, 1999
Published by
Laissez Faire City Netcasting Group, Inc.
Copyright 1998 - Trademark Registered with LFC Public Registrar
All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer
The Laissez Faire City Times is a private newspaper. Although it is
published by a corporation domiciled within the sovereign domain of
Laissez Faire City, it is not an "official organ" of the city or its
founding trust. Just as the New York Times is unaffiliated with the city
of New York, the City Times is only one of what may be several news
publications located in, or domiciled at, Laissez Faire City proper. For
information about LFC, please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,