-Caveat Lector-

~~for educational purposes only~~
[Title 17 U.S.C. section 107]

White Hats Waiting
by Paul Hein

The problem with being the good guys is that you're
always on edge, waiting for the next assault. Nice
folks, in other words, are content to go about their
affairs minding their own business. The bad guys,
on the other hand, can attack at any time. The
advantage of surprise is always theirs; hence the
requirement that the good guys remain alert, to
minimize the damage.

This vigilance can easily lead to the perception of
goblins under every bed, and conspirators behind
every bush. Of course, there may BE conspirators
behind every bush! (I don't know about goblins.)
It's best to keep conspiracy theories to yourself, if
you don't wish to be ridiculed as a "conspiracy
nut." Still, certain things happen which entitle you,
in my opinion, to wonder.

For example: I recently read a report that the Post
Office wants to require ID on mail. It would be the
sender who would have to provide the ID;
apparently a return address just won't cut it. The
Post Office's recommendation, published in the
Federal Register October 21, would require some
sort of "unique, traceable identifiers" on all mail,
including first class, periodicals, standard mail, or
package mailing eligible for dis counted postage
rates  whatever that might be. I suppose that
includes everything that you could mail, or it would
be pointless. The stated purpose of this proposal is
to reduce the danger of terrorism via the mails. Who
could argue with that?

The President's Commission on the U.S. Postal
Service also advised the use of sender
identification "for every piece of mail," saying
"requiring sender-identification for discount-rate
mail is an initial step on the road to intelligent
mail." Hm. If the ID is to be on "every piece of
mail" wouldn't that include "discount-rate mail?"
Am I confused, or is it the Commission? Is
obfuscation and confusion absolutely essential to all
government projects? And what is "intelligent
mail?" Maybe junk mail that throws itself into the
wastebasket!

So where is the conspiracy? Well, maybe there isn't
any. On the other hand, we know that there have
been discussions of ID's for Americans for a few
years now, with the idea being pretty
overwhelmingly rejected. I am ancient enough to
remember those movies during and after WWII,
where innocent folks on the streets of
Nazi-occupied towns would be stopped by gruff
jack-booted SS men, who demanded "Papieren,
bitte!" I always wondered, if some Nazi were to
accost me as I left the theater, what papers I would
show him. Would my brand-new drivers license
do? The idea of carrying around some documents to
satisfy the curiosity of officious strangers was, and
is, repellent. But some sort of ID on each piece of
mail I posted isn't so bad, is it?

Whatever form this ID takes, it must obviously be
unique to each individual. And since you never
know when you might want to mail a letter, you
would be advised to keep this unique identifier
upon you at all times. Do you get the direction here?
Once a citizen becomes accustomed to carrying his
unique mail identifier with them, what's the harm in
producing it, in the name of national security, truth,
justice, and the American Way!! It's not really a
national ID at all, you see, but a mail-security
device. That's OK!

The immediate stimulus to this mail ID thing is said
to be the anthrax threat of a few years ago.
Remember that? People dead and dying all over the
place, right? A few pinches of white powder in a
letter to a Congressman, and the whole government
shuts down! Good grief, we can't have that, can
we? (Can't we?) If you've a real gift for
conspiracies, you can detect one here, too. The
anthrax scare was a hoax, you see, designed to
create a demand for ID's on every piece of mail,
lest we face a similar disaster (!?) in the future.
And the mail ID, in turn, is the back door approach
to a national ID, which, if presented in a
straightforward manner, would be again rejected.

Well, I've got my white hat on, sitting in my rocker,
minding my own business, and wondering how
much longer before some new threat presents itself,
and how. Well, maybe it's coming by mail!

And, Lo!! A few weeks after the above words were
written, there is news of a Congressional office
building being closed down because of mail
received containing a white power, presumably
ricin, a deadly poison. Now we REALLY need that
ID! If at first you don't succeed-----.

www.ctrl.org